Uh Oh! Say it isn't so! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Cool Uh Oh! Say it isn't so!

Hi All!
Newbie member here on this site and a recent (1month ago!)...buyer of a '96 Vulcan 750...
It had 19.6k miles on it when purchased. Bike ran beautifully and completed my long quest of owning one again, after I had to sell my Shadow 700 in CA prior to my move to FL 7 yrs ago.
Okay, the issue: Like I said, everything was fine, until this morning. Went to jump on the bike to get to work, and the thing cranked slowly & didn't start.
I normally give it a little choke, and it starts right up. Not this morning. I really thought the battery was dead or comatose, and was thinking of bump starting it, but when I turned the bike around, and gave it one more try, and it started.
Super!--Rode to work with no issues (17miles freeway--one way!).
Bike started fine after work--and I headed home. About 3miles from home, the bike started lugging down some, acting like it was out of gas ( it wasn't--about 30 miles on a fresh tank). This seemed to happen in the lower rpm's (4k), however, when I gave it throttle it took off like the bike its supposed to be!--I made it home, but the last miles I felt like it was gonna die...pulled into drive way, put in neatral, and it idled okay for about a min, then it coughed and died. I let it set a bit...and was able to start it again, but now wary of going out tomorrow. Any suggestions? Is this the start of the battery dying, stator going, carbs clogged, fouled spark plugs, ect, ect??
Not really a mechanic, but I can follow directions well! Wasn't sure where to post because of the nature of the issue, so I posted here. Thx for all the help in advance!

Jim in Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

If you can get a cheap voltmeter you can check the system, its hard to determine without knowing output readings. Like you stated it could be the battery, stator, r&r, ect.

Oh yeah, welcome to the jungle! I also live in Fl (cocoa beach area), I lived in Jacksonville a few years.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

there are a few of us in florida, so let us know where your at, someone may be right around the corner to help you out,

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

I kinda doubt it's electrical since if the stator or R/R was bad he wouldn't have made it 17 miles rinning off of a "weak" battery. Still, a bad ground could cause this problem. This sounds like a potentially interesting problem.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
I kinda doubt it's electrical since if the stator or R/R was bad he wouldn't have made it 17 miles rinning off of a "weak" battery. Still, a bad ground could cause this problem. This sounds like a potentially interesting problem.
Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the ground a major component of the electrical system?

A few possibilities jump to my head on this... First a bad ground, (either battery to frame, or Battery box to engine... although I would lean more towards battery box to engine for this particular issue). Secondly a bad ignition switch. The contact springs are prone to getting week, and the contacts them selves get worn after years of use, Usually a good cleaning can get the contacts working correctly again, and stretching the springs helps a little as well. Third thing I would look at is the wiring to the right hand control switches (run/stop and starter button). Look for loose wires or anything out of the ordinary.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Just a regular guy

Welcome! I am in Jax also, in the Arlington area. Where are you? If your battery is a traditional wet cell, and is more that a few years old it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to an agm battery.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 07:32 AM

I'm in St Augustine (World Golf Village) a little south. I'm no expert, so I'd say listen to what Slim and the other guys say. If it is electrical, Slim can help you troubleshoot it for sure.

For peace of mind cleaning and checking your grounds won't really cost you anything but a little time. Make sure the cables are tight on the battery terminals. And if you think it might be the battery, you can take it to Advance Auto or someplace similar and they can load test it for you for free. That would rule out the easiest things anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 AM

fuel?

Check your fuel isn't polluted with water.

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Kinda mis-spoke myself in my last post. By electrical issue I was referring to the stator an R/R

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 12:15 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

jmo.....
After Battery check/replacement (1st) ....
Sounds intermittent .....
Is the fuel tank rusty ? Possible rust/contaminants in your Petcock / Carbs / Fuel delivery system.
Try Seafoam in the tank.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement