Storage - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Storage

I'm storing my bike for the winter. I'm changing the oil.I use Sea Foam in the gas tank, but I read you can put some in the crankcase and running it through prior to changing the oil. Is this safe? I've always been leary about engine additives. Also, I have the Sea Foam lube.. they say remove spark plugs and spray into cylinders.. all I did last year was change oil and drain the carbs.. and lastly, can I use chain saw oil on my chain?.. yep, I'm a newby.. my girl did me right last summer.. I wanna do her right.. any imput would be greatly appreciated... thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Had you done a search on "Winter Storage" you would have found this informative thread that answers most of your questions:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...Winter+storage

Personally I would not use SeaFoam in the oil unless you have a problem. Guessing your question on chain lube is for another bike as the Vulcan is shaft drive.
Buy some chain lube made for motorcycle chains... I don't think chainsaw oil is the same thing. (Some bike chains have o rings that can be effected by some chemicals)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Had you done a search on "Winter Storage" you would have found this informative thread that answers most of your questions:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...Winter+storage

....Guessing your question on chain lube is for another bike as the Vulcan is shaft drive.....
Maybe he means the chain he uses to lock the wheel. lol I sure haven't seen any other chain on any of the VN 750's that I have looked at. lol

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I'm storing my bike for the winter. I'm changing the oil.I use Sea Foam in the gas tank, but I read you can put some in the crankcase and running it through prior to changing the oil. Is this safe? I've always been leary about engine additives. Also, I have the Sea Foam lube.. they say remove spark plugs and spray into cylinders.. all I did last year was change oil and drain the carbs.. and lastly, can I use chain saw oil on my chain?.. yep, I'm a newby.. my girl did me right last summer.. I wanna do her right.. any imput would be greatly appreciated... thank you
Are you storing your 2006 vn750?you don't need chain oil as it's shaft driven

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:46 PM

Garage
I understand the snow up north and out west could slow the riding but I think I would still start the engine and run it for a little while periodically to keep all the internal parts lubed. Some parts may rust over in the long moist winter months.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

omg!! I am a such a burnout...

Sorry, for the stupid question about the chain oil.. I musta been having a flashback about my first bike over 20 years ago.. a Yamaha 650.. nothing worse than making oneself look like an idiot on the internet... thank you for the sea foam advice.. I won't use it..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Assuming you do not plan to start the bike during storage, I recommend draining the tank, removing it, pouring in about a qt of cheap engine oil, move the tank around to coat the inside good, and pour out the excess oil. While the fuel lines are disconnected, drain the carbs, and run some WD-40 through them. This will remove any gas that still might be in there, and coat the inside of the carbs with WD-40.

The reason for this is to prevent damage from ethanol gas. It used to be that all you had to worry about was the carbs getting all plugged up with what was left when the gas evaporated. I thought that was bad. But since the advent of ethanol in gas, I have seen carbs literally destroyed by it. Aluminum and brass corroded, steel rusted, and metal and plastic melted. It will also cause the tank to rust, and do the same thing to the petcock as it does to carbs.

I just had my carbs off, and found corrosion and melted rubber. And my bike has never sat for very long.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Run it some to get the seafoam in the carbs, but I don't think you need to oil the cyls unless it's long term storage, like a year or more.. Fogging the cylinders applies more to boats that sit 9 months.

I end up at least starting mine at least once a month, if not riding. Already used up my seafoam gas.

Have Seafoam in my oil, but I've been thinking I have one intake valve sticking a little when it's cold.

If you have a wet cell battery, keep it charged or keep it warm. AGM type batts. fare better in storage.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 07:07 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Sorry, for the stupid question about the chain oil.. I musta been having a flashback about my first bike over 20 years ago.. a Yamaha 650.. nothing worse than making oneself look like an idiot on the internet... thank you for the sea foam advice.. I won't use it..
Don't worry about looking like an idiot here. It just helps you to fit in better with the rest of us. lol

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM

If your planning on winter storage, i would add seafoam and stabil to a full tank of fresh gas. Run the bike for about 15 mins to get both products into the carbs/lines then top off the tank top prevent rust and you should be good to go.
The seafoam keeps it clean and the stabil will prevent damage due to ethanol.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/products.aspx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement