Bike stalls out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Xerik

Exclamation Bike stalls out

I am having a strange problem.

My bike runs great on cold start up and keeps running, once warmed up and riden for a bit *for me it's 33 miles to work one way* the bike will want to die when I pull in and hold the clutch like at a stop light.

The things I have done so far are; putting 1 can of seamform into a full tank of gas, spraying carb cleaner into the air intake while bike is running, and check battery and stator. Will be replacing battery to a MF AGM battery this week as when I checked this one the battery had 1 dry cell and the rest below the minimum fill line *filled with distilled water*

It has been this way for about a week now. It is starting to get harder and harder to start the bike up *i think that will be fixed once I replace the battery.*

To make things worse. I know how to work on automobiles and such. But have NEVER worked on a carb style system before and was not taught that in vocational school as it was deemed out dated. So I know for a fact I can replace and fix most of everything on it.

I just want to know where all the vacuum lines are *seems to be a lack of pictures to explain those locations.* I just don't want to go pulling lines off just to find the gas line and vacuum lines and exhaust lines.

Sorry this is so long.

Last but not least. What is a good replacement air filter? I have seen some people with the small cone filters directly on the carbs.

I need this bike as it is the only mode of transportation I have at the moment as my subbie timing belt snapped and I have to get a new engine *still have three years left of payments and only a year paid off*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

What rpm does your bike idle at? K&N makes a nice air filter for the stock intake. They average around $60- $70 a pair, but are cleanable and re-usable.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 AM

I'd suspect clogged pilot jets for one item. But make sure the 'choke' (enricher) plungers are closing all the way on both carbs. Or ... Does it idle any better if you pull the choke on any amount?

As mentioned, could just be the idle set too low. I have to reset the idle on mine when the air temp swings wildly.

For air filters, I used Uni PK-92 foam filters, about $30. Got mine on Ebay.

Be careful with carb cleaner on the inside of the carbs, it can melt certain materials, needle jet tips, diaphragms, etc. Though spraying into the throats shouldn't have hurt them.

Here's some pics, hope they help, just ask if you have questions:

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Xerik

Ok I got home about an hour ago and broke my bike down some. haven't been able to thoughly check the vacuum lines yet to see if any are cracked and giving bad fuel. Checked the battery with the engine running at 5k rpms and was reading 13..5-13.6 volts. At around 2k rpms it was reading 13.3 volts.

I was with the help of a co-worker who is used to carbs able to get the bike to idle around 1.5k rpms. Seems the idle nob actually got stuck and we got that freed with some finesse and seaform. We were only able to turn it about 4 times before it stopped both ways. Once we broke it free we were able to turn it fully to the right and it was very high idle of 4-5k rpms. We backed it down to 1.5k rpms *I prefer that those rpms* and has been running fine since then.

Still probably going to end up taking the bike apart some time in the future to give it a good cleaning. But the seafoam and carb cleaner seems to have worked. Bike is running a lot better now.

Checked the spark plugs... back two are running clean. Front two are running black. I will have to adjust for the richness. Also we found a leak of gasoline as the reserve, normal, and off switch. Later in the day I will take a look at the lines and see if any are cracked or not. But previous owner I can tell tried to keep up with it. But some parts are a few years past their prime and suffering from rubber rot and just in general wearing down.

Will look into getting the K&N filters once I get paid. Will be heading out latter to get the battery.

@Spoke: When I was having the problems full choke was the only thing keeping the bike running. But since the idle knob has been "fixed" full choke wants to kill it like normal now. With choke all the way off it runs at a steady 1.5k rpms. Seems it was just a stuck idle knob. But things like that can definitely take your trust in something down lol.

Last edited by Engelsseele; 12-02-2013 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Good deal, good to hear she's runnin better. Can't go wrong with the K&N's. You can go cheaper as stated above, but imo these are the way to go because if you take care of them they will be cheaper in the long run. Good luck.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:09 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I think it's just your clutch adjustment. Have you tried screwing barrel OUT on the clutch handle after it gets hot? So you have only a few millimeters of play at the fulcrum? syncing the carbs is a good idea too and easy.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Xerik

Yea I don't really know how to synch the carbs. Like I stated earlier I never really was taught how to work with carbs as they are becoming more and more outdated as time goes on. But yea the front plugs are definitely fouling up on me. I need to find a way to lean the mixture out a bit on the front.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Xerik

Also as far as the clutch adjustment goes, I will need to do that in the future as well. I in general need to go through and tight up bolts and such anyways.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelsseele View Post
Yea I don't really know how to synch the carbs. Like I stated earlier I never really was taught how to work with carbs as they are becoming more and more outdated as time goes on. But yea the front plugs are definitely fouling up on me. I need to find a way to lean the mixture out a bit on the front.
YouTube is your friend!

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I was intimidated by the synching of the carbs too! Turns out it's cake assuming everything else is running pretty well. Make a manometer out of ten feet of clear tubing and a stick.

You adjust the screw at the very bottom of the carbs with a 7mm wrench. Just do a little youtubin' an' googlin'

I used two stroke oil for my liquid.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement