Fuel capacity and range - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Fuel capacity and range

Greetings. I lurk here, but haven't posted much.

I'm a 52-year old guy returning to motorcycling after a gap of about 30 years...did the MSF course and got the M1 endorsement and bought a used '05 VN750 with about 6000 miles on it. It's a great bike and I like riding it.

After speaking with a friend of mine, I'm planning a one-day trip from Sacramento over to Foresthill via French Meadows. Problem is that the stretch between Georgetown and Foresthill is all backwoods country with no gas stations and is a distance of approximately 100 miles. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider and pretty much just doddle along to admire the scenery...not a racer or speed demon, but that's still a long distance on windy roads at varying speeds. I'm pretty sure the bike will do fine and I'll have enough fuel to make the run, but the gas tank on the VNs is pretty small.

What kind of fuel mileage have you all been experiencing on your VNs? I really haven't had my bike long enough to make any meaningful mileage calculations (or, more correctly, haven't bothered yet because it hasn't been an issue). Also, does anyone know of any manufacturers who make larger fuel tanks for the VNs?

Thanks in advance for your wise advice and thoughts...

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Drive less, ride more...

If you run your bike in 5th gear with rpms under 4,500...it's not unreasonable to expect gas mileage in the low 50s, with a 750 in good tune. Unless you're a "heavy" person, carrying a heavy load (or a passenger), fighting a good headwind, and/or you're riding in really hilly country.

Most people here seem to run closer to interstate speeds, and get average mileage in the mid to upper 40s.

The tank spec is 3.5 gals, so you should be able to go 150 miles or so, on a tank--if you keep your speeds down. I know because I've done it, repeatedly.

My bike is an '05 as well. For a "returning rookie" you made a damn fine choice for a bike.

The fuel gauge and the reserve portion of the tank though, will "tell" you to get gas before then, however (that is, the fuel gauge reading isn't the most accurate in the world, especially the lower half).

If you're still concerned, you might just do a good ride before your trip to your friend, and check it to see what you're currently getting.

Never heard (or read elsewhere here) of anyone out there that makes larger tanks for this bike.

Last edited by theauhawk; 06-09-2007 at 01:29 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
85 VN 700

I know I'm hitting reserve (which I believe is around 1/2 gallon left) at between 90 and 110 miles - and I DO ride aggressively. It seems like most get around 40-50 mpg on long rides. The service manual lists the fuel capacity as 13.5 L which works out to around 3.5 g. The worst mileage I've gotten is a little over 30 to the gallon - which would just barely get ya to 100 miles. I consistently get 41 mpg on long rides - be it freeway at 80 or hilly twisties (two up) I'd get better millage on long rides riding one up of course. Most here with newer vulcans such as yours report consistent 45-50 mpg on long rides.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

That info helps a lot. Thanks to both of you. Incidentally, Curtis, I noticed that you installed a Nautilus air horn on your moto. That's also something I want to do...did you have any difficulty with the installation, or was it pretty much just a replacement of the stock horns?

Bob

Bob
VROC #24344

2005 VN750
PF3
CorTech bags
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 PM
85 VN 700

The stebel is WAY bigger than the stock horns. And WAY louder. It's saved my butt lots.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=stebel for my stebel install as well as fergys and a link or two to other install techniques.

Bought mine from bikerhiway. Free shipping with a survey.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:46 PM

I drive 75 miles each day to work I am a pretty aggressive rider and weigh about 205. I am getting 55 mpg, I also go through a longe stretch of stop and go traffic,
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Geek

I have got over 50 with the wife on the back. Together we weigh about 290.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 PM

What reserve portion of the fuel gauge?

I dont see a reserve portion of the fuel gauge. If I switch to reserve, will it show more gas than it did before switching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
If you run your bike in 5th gear with rpms under 4,500...it's not unreasonable to expect gas mileage in the low 50s, with a 750 in good tune. Unless you're a "heavy" person, carrying a heavy load (or a passenger), fighting a good headwind, and/or you're riding in really hilly country.

Most people here seem to run closer to interstate speeds, and get average mileage in the mid to upper 40s.

The tank spec is 3.5 gals, so you should be able to go 150 miles or so, on a tank--if you keep your speeds down. I know because I've done it, repeatedly.

My bike is an '05 as well. For a "returning rookie" you made a damn fine choice for a bike.

The fuel gauge and the reserve portion of the tank though, will "tell" you to get gas before then, however (that is, the fuel gauge reading isn't the most accurate in the world, especially the lower half).

If you're still concerned, you might just do a good ride before your trip to your friend, and check it to see what you're currently getting.

Never heard (or read elsewhere here) of anyone out there that makes larger tanks for this bike.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Drive less, ride more...

No, the gas gauge will not show more fuel once you throw the petcock to reserve.

To keep from having to push the bike, I figure once I go on reserve, I have about 20 miles left of riding (but I have in fact gone further on reserve) if I'm riding at constant highway speeds (60-70 mph).

As a footnote, some claim better fuel mileage when using synthetic motor oil, and/or switching to iridium spark plugs. The iridium plugs also help (I gather) quite much with hot starts.

Both these options make sense, but I have not verified them for myself yet.

In any case, stay away from high octane gasoline. Our bike runs just fine on the 87 octane fuel......

Last edited by theauhawk; 06-09-2007 at 09:45 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
Keep your speed down and you can easily go 150 miles on a tank. I've been getting over 50 mpg and I have the full Tour Pack fairing and lowers, and I'm not a small guy. Once the tach exceeds 4000 rpm, you mileage starts to go down in a hurry. At 85 mph on the interstate, I get in the mid 30s.

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement