Vulcan down...but not broken - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Vulcan down...but not broken

I had a mis-hap back in April. Motorist cut me off and in order to avoid hitting her I steered away, braked hard and went down hard on the left side. Bike slid to a stop...scraped but running. I shattered my left arm - a plate and 9 screws are holding it together. Left knee got ripped open and tore a little bit of my quadracep (sp).

Long story short...can't ride any more this summer and need $ bad. Bike is at the local Kawi dealer being checked for any damage. If anybody is interested I will be putting her up for sale when i get the report from the shop.

I'll let you know whats up soon. Let me know if there's any interest. She started right up when I saw her at the shop...no damage to shifter, clutch or signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Never mind the bike.....

the real question is--how are you???

Glad you survived the typical clueless motorist!!!.....

How's that arm & knee doing????
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 04:55 PM

Ditto on the how are you? Sounds like you took most of the damage! Hope you heal up fast and get back on the road as soon as you're ready.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm doing better now!!!

I'm walking without the cane and physical therapy already has 120 degrees of bend on the knee. The meat inside is going to take a little longer to get strong, 'cause i lost a lot of it on the asphalt.

The arm is going to be about a nine month recovery...at PT today I just started to apply a little of my own power to the movement...ouch. Can't even lift it an inch off horozontal without help.

Like I told my wife - three lucky things happened:
1. I didn't hit the car when she cut into my lane.
2. When I steered out of the way I didn't go into the oncoming traffic (i was in the left lane of a 4 lane undivided hwy).
3. After I went down, nobody ran me over.

Moment of irony...from my hospital room I could see people taking the MSF course in a nearby parking lot! I took MSF and seriously believe that some of the skills I learned helped me survive...that and some good old fashioned luck.

Oh...and the helmet, leather jacket, boots and gloves did what they were supposed to do too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Sorry to hear about your Mis-hap!!!!Glad to hear your recovering quickly for the most part.And ditto on what Foxhound said"hope you get back on the road as soon as your ready"!!!!!

Brian Manchester
'89 "GRIMM"

CUSTOM-Seat,quick detach backrest,2.5"slam brackets,Pipes,Fender struts,head light mount,9"rise dragbars,Grips,Mirrors, turnsignals,LED brake light/Lic.plate frame,Chopper headlight. Shaved,Jetted,coastered,polished forks,saddle&Tool bags,horns moved,180/70/15 rear tire!!! Yes a 180!!!!And other stuff.....
Springfield 1911-A1 Compact .45acp

03 F250 superduty 4x4 V-10 crew cab long box 33's,CAI,SS duals with magnaflow

04 durango AWD
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 PM

Glad to hear you are okay. Sorry about the mis hap.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hope your recovery goes well.
I know when I had PT for my leg and arm (two different dirtbike incidents) it was tough at first, but stick with it!!
I lost a little bit of range of motion in my arm, but other than that, the ol' body still works mostly like it should. (just a little bit slower these days, LOL)

And good to hear there was atleast some luck on your side that day.

Thoughts and prayers to ya, get well soon.

And I gotta ask... did the offending driver stop, or keep on ignoring your presence on the road while they just thought about them self?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks All:

Hyperbuzzin - She actually did stop, although at the time I had no idea who got out of what car, cause I was busy trying to get the hell out of the middle of the road. After a couple attempts at getting up, the people who stopped told me to just lay there 'cause they'd called for the paramedics. While I was laying there I couldn't see who got out of what car. As it turned out the cop who was on scene first gave me his card and said he'd take my statement after I got to the hospital.

He came to the hospital and took my statement the next day. As it turned out the guy (witness) who was driving behind me corroborated my statement exactly and the cop gave the lady who cut me off the ticket...dunno if it was improper lane usage or failure to yield. Curiously enough today was the court date and she was a no-show, but her attorney showed up to ask for a continuance due to a pre-planned family vacation. Judge granted it but noted that the officer and I were on hand and ready to go. He said no more continuances for her and we'll meet again next month. Sheesh.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Well best of luck to ya at the next hearing.
And here's to hoping the Judge is Pro-Motorcycle and maybe a rider themself!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement