Check your engine mounts! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Check your engine mounts!

Strange as heck, but I was packing up the bike early Saturday morning to head out for a weekend road trip. Just about ready to leave and saw a rubber bushing just sitting on top of my bevel gear housing. I reach down there to pick it up and noticed something strange. Looked like the top rear engine mount bolt was gone. Looked on the other side, and sure enough, it was gone. Freekin 11" bolt gone. So, I'm thinking "when the heck did this happen?" I know it must have come loose on my last few rides and must have come out the evening before as I rode home from work. I ran in the house and pulled up the parts drawing to verify it was one long bolt and bushings. So here I was, with an engine mount missing, ready to head out on a 200 mile ride to meet up with a good friend on his bike, both of us timing our rides from opposite directions to meet in Brenham at 11 am. So I rode into town and stopped at ACE hardware. They didn't have a bolt that long in 3/8" so they cut a piece of all-thread for me and I bought some large washers and locknuts and put it back together for the ride. I'll be ordering the replacement OEM parts today, but I think I'm going to go ahead and pull all the motor mount nuts off and replace them with metric lock nuts.

I was able to do the trip and had a great ride, once I got over the shock and had a plan. I can't imagine how it rattled loose, as the bike doesn't vibrate much if any, but I can say that I won't be talking about harley's vibrating pieces all over the road anymore. Just something else to keep an eye on!

By the way, I rode my buddie's Road King yesterday for about a 15 mile stretch. It felt pretty smooth once you are up to speed, but felt a little clumsy. It will shake your teeth out when you are rolling to a stop and while idling, which is a little un-nerving the first few times you are coming to a stop. But when you rev it it smooths out. (now I know why harley riders are always revving their bikes at a stop. It clears up the double vision so they can see at an intersection I also rode my other friend's Vulcan 1500 on this trip and I can honestly say, it beats the harley hands down, both in handling and smoothness of shifting, stopping etc. It seemed to have more get up and go too. I could own one of those! It didn't feel heavy like the harley did either, even though they are similar in weight. It was balanced better.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 06-04-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

As soon as I'm able to get a few more miles on mine, I had planned on checking any/all nuts, bolts, electrical fitting that were messed with for the stator change. probably wouldn't hurt to check everything else while I'm at it.

Glad ya found out about the missing bolt before ya headed out on your ride, Fergy.

Someone else here (awhile ago) mentioned the bolt coming out while they were riding, and felt it hitting their leg, IIRC.

Checking nuts and bolts is on the maintenance schedule to be checked at every 6K miles. So people, besides the engine mount nuts & bolts, check all the others too !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Drive less, ride more...

That's an amazing and eye-opening story!!!....

I'm glad to read you found this problem when you did and that you're ok--that's what really matters, anyway.

Thanks for the report on the Harley and the 1500. Quite frankly, I'm not surprised at what you found there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

Send a message via MSN to cmanningjr
Something I noticed when I was taking apart my bike was that there wasn't any thread locker on ANY of the bolts. Me being the one that would be riding down the road and the bike just fall apart- needless to say that I put thread locker on every one of em. I would say it's a good idea to keep an eye on them, maybe re-torque them occasionally to make sure they are on there as tight as they should be.........

'92 Vn750

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Holy cow! Found the bolt on the side of the road!

I couldn't believe my eyes, but riding in this morning for the first time in 2.5 weeks, just as I was slowing to turn onto the road that goes to my work, there in the concrete ditch was my engine mount bolt! Understand we've had like 20 inches of rain in the last 2.5 weeks and have had water running everywhere and apparently this bolt washed up and out of hiding and must have been just heavy enough to stay put while everything else was washing away.
I had put off ordering a replacement because the fix I did temporarily was working fine so I didn't buy one yet. So, now I'll take that puppy to ACE and match the threads and buy some locking nuts for all my motor mount bolts.

What a freeking surprise!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

What a pleasant surprise
Maybe the wicked Gremlins realized they were messing with the wrong rider !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM

That's pretty cool Fergy! You seem to be on positive side of Karma right now.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

first, fergy that's just crazy! i can't believe it fell out and then you find it again on the road! that's so cool!
also today while i was out grilling dinner i took a look at the engine mounts and it looks like the rear top there is some space in between the frame and the bushing and the nut isn't on the bolt very far. i thought that the bike was vibrating more this year that it did last year. but i just thought it was just me, and that i didn't realized how much it did vibrate. then i remembered seeing a post about checking engine mounts, so i found this one and read it. unbelievable! so i will be getting out the wrench soon and giving all the nuts a good turn!
again thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by ruger; 07-08-2007 at 07:34 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:51 PM

I thought that my bike had a bit more vib than normal so after reading your post I went out to check my bolt and found the nut about 2 threads from fallinf off. Went ahead and replaced with locking nuts. Thanks for the heads up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Glad you caught it!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement