Problems galore - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Problems galore

For the past 2 weeks, my bike has been HARD to start. When you hit the button, it goes rar, rar, raar, raar, and then it will finally start. Sometimes on a couple tries, sometimes it takes 5 minutes of trying. My neutral switch was smashed and leaking oil for the whole summer, so I finally got the parts and swapped it out tonight, thinking maybe that was the culprit. I changed the oil too while I did that.

Didn't fix my starting problem.

I finally got it started and decided to let it run in neutral in the garage for about 15-20 minutes.

Well I go outside and it's BURNING hot, almost to the max temp, and "smoking" everywhere. I think it was steam maybe. Didn't stink too terrible. There was fluid coming out the little tube that comes out the bottom of the bike. WHen I turned it off I could hear the fluids inside bubbling. Yikes.

Not sure if the radiator fan didn't come on or something? or what. I'm at a loss.

I'm trying to get the darn thing in normal working order so I can sell it but keep getting blocked.

Any ideas?

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention. after the oil change, it would go "rar, rar, raar, rarr BANG (backfire)"

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 PM

Definitely sounds like your fans aren't coming on. There should be a wire on the bottom left of the bike plugged right in next to the radiator. Take that off and wedge something metal in there and it should turn your fans on for a second. Someone on the site showed me that.

2007 Kawi ninja-sold
1990 Vulcan 750-sold
2001 Honda Sabre 1100-wrecked then sold
2013 Victory Highball
Ride on wolf

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
after the oil change, it would go "rar, rar, raar, rarr BANG (backfire)"
Sounds overfilled to me.....if not....stuck float will leak down gas into your crankcase (and cause overfill)....recheck your level....NEVER overfill...the "H" is a high mark, not necessarily what to fill to....I keep mine a hair below....(1/6-1/4 below)...

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Old Fart

Garage
First I'll say to anyone else, letting your bike run 15-20 minutes unsupervised is not a good idea. Not really a good idea to run it that long at idle even if you're there...
I only hope you haven't burnt up something...

So ...you have two issues...a fan that might not be working, and a starting problem....which could be anything from a loose wire to a bad battery (yes, even AGM batteries can go bad) Your starter might need a rebuild/cleaning.

You said you had a problem starting before you changed the oil, so I'll assume they are not related....but as Wolf mentioned....make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the bike.

Have you flushed the radiator since you had the bike? Go ahead and check your fan ....make sure your coolant is good and not overfilled too.

Some SeaFoam might be a good start, along with checking your ground, your battery and your starter.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

All good suggestions. I have to stop and get some coolant today and then I'll start going through each thing mentioned and see if I can find the problem.

Nitro - not sure what you mean there by wedging a piece of metal in there, but if there is an easy way to get the fan to come on, I'll definitely need to try that too.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:41 AM
2014 KLR 650!

The backfiring is just because you were trying to start it so much. On my old bikes I used to rev the engine just before turning it off thinking that it would leave a little fuel in the chamber so it would start better next time. We not sure if that does anything or not but on these bikes it makes them pop loudly. I think it is indeed because of fuel vapors that get ignited on the exhaust stroke or something. I rebuilt my starter from the ebay kit and have had no more starting issues. The only thing to keep in mind is that the plate the brushes are on is slighly too large so had to grind it to fit. I have another starter I purchased just in case so if you need one I have one for $75 plus $10 for shipping.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Pick up coil mod?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhtvu2 View Post
Pick up coil mod?
That's one that can't hurt and the price is right :-)

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Ndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfite1978 View Post
All good suggestions. I have to stop and get some coolant today and then I'll start going through each thing mentioned and see if I can find the problem.

Nitro - not sure what you mean there by wedging a piece of metal in there, but if there is an easy way to get the fan to come on, I'll definitely need to try that too.
I'm pretty sure what Nitro is saying is to disconnect the wire from the temp sensor at the bottom left of the radiator, and the run that wire to ground.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement