Non-750 related, Anyone with 1500 experience? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Non-750 related, Anyone with 1500 experience?

I am looking at and hopefully buying an 02' Meanstreak today.

Curious if there is any gremlins, like stators in our 750's to look for.

Anyone can suggest a good inspection I can use would be greatly appreciated.

It has 6900 miles.

Thanks,

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Drive less, ride more...

In case you're not already familiar with this feature, you can go to Kaw's website at:

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...OSEVEHICLE.ASP

and key in the bike's VIN, and this part of the website will tell you if there are any factory recalls for that bike.

I gather that Mean Streaks have seen some recalls, so this would indeed be worth your time.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
In case you're not already familiar with this feature, you can go to Kaw's website at:

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame...OSEVEHICLE.ASP

and key in the bike's VIN, and this part of the website will tell you if there are any factory recalls for that bike.

I gather that Mean Streaks have seen some recalls, so this would indeed be worth your time.
Thanks, that came uip empty, which is good.

Jon

vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Dunlop D-404's

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
The 02 Meanie is a great bike. IMHO, the only Kaw worthy of replacing the mighty VN750...

I have a 02 Nomad and Love it. I would like to add a Mean Streak to the stable one day.

The bad - The Mean Streak only has one stator, which will give you the same power limitations as the VN750 as far as amperage available for toys. My Nomad has two, which boosts me from 21 amps to 42 amps on most days. I run a lot of toys on the Nad. On the MS, I doubt I would do the same.

The Good... The MS, both the 1500 and the 1600 are AWESOME fast cruisers. Nice design and tight cornering makes this bike a worthy replacement for the VN750 if that is the direction you are heading. Having a tach is nice as it is OEM on the MS. The position of the tach and speedo on the MS are also on the handlebars like the VN750 and not on the tank like all the other big Vulcans.

I've seen MS's set up for touring but if you are planning on doing a lot of touring, maybe a Nad or a equipped Vulcan Classic might be better for you. If you want the raw power and fun of a sport cruiser, then the MS is the bike for you. It's like the VN750, but all grown up... hehehehehehe!!!

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog485 View Post
The 02 Meanie is a great bike. IMHO, the only Kaw worthy of replacing the mighty VN750...

I have a 02 Nomad and Love it. I would like to add a Mean Streak to the stable one day.

The bad - The Mean Streak only has one stator, which will give you the same power limitations as the VN750 as far as amperage available for toys. My Nomad has two, which boosts me from 21 amps to 42 amps on most days. I run a lot of toys on the Nad. On the MS, I doubt I would do the same.

The Good... The MS, both the 1500 and the 1600 are AWESOME fast cruisers. Nice design and tight cornering makes this bike a worthy replacement for the VN750 if that is the direction you are heading. Having a tach is nice as it is OEM on the MS. The position of the tach and speedo on the MS are also on the handlebars like the VN750 and not on the tank like all the other big Vulcans.

I've seen MS's set up for touring but if you are planning on doing a lot of touring, maybe a Nad or a equipped Vulcan Classic might be better for you. If you want the raw power and fun of a sport cruiser, then the MS is the bike for you. It's like the VN750, but all grown up... hehehehehehe!!!
I rode it home today, awesome.

Is the single stator as vulnerable as on the 750's if I do not load it any more than stock?

It has Kaw vinyl bags already, going to get a small shield for it. ANy suggestions? Love the V-Force on my 750, would like something similar.

You're right, it is a 750 on steroids. Was going 80, twisted the throttle and it was at a 100 in moments. Handles very well for a big bike. Has 200mm rear sport bike tire, and matching front, both brand new. You have to lean it as the big flat back tire doesn't want to go over on its own.

Has Hard Krome pipes and the power commander FI module.

I blast to ride home 120 miles, nice to tach 3,500 at 75 - 80 mph.

This is NOT a 750 bash, love my 750 and my just keep it after I replace the head gaskets.

I will get some pictures up soon.

Jon

vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Dunlop D-404's
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
I rode it home today, awesome.

Is the single stator as vulnerable as on the 750's if I do not load it any more than stock?

I will get some pictures up soon.

Jon
Well, Congratfreakinglations!!!

The single stator on the 1500 series is solid, just be aware that you still only have about 21 amps to play with. The rect/reg is located in the wind, so burning it up like the VN750's RR is not an issue. Once again, check your splines. Even though the 2002 VN750's all seem to have dry spline syndrome, the same cannot be said for the 2002 1500's as they were made in Japan. But if this group has taught you anything, it is to check those pesky splines.

Be advised, your insurance will jump... I was paying around $80 a year for full coverage for my VN750. Now, with the VN750 and the Nomad 1500FI, for full coverage I'm paying around $400 a year.

Overall, you will be pleased. But you might find yourself riding ONLY the Meanie for a while. My usual milage on the VN750 was around 6k a year. Last year, I put on 250 miles if that. But I put on around 6k on the Nad...

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement