cruising rpms? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

cruising rpms?

What rpms are you guys seeing at about 65 mph on a flat straight-away? Mine are about 4800 and I was wondering if that was what you guys are running to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Here we go again!! I was getting about 4500 or so holding 63-65 mph. Check your bike with a quality GPS and make sure your speedo is correct. Everybody seems to get different tach readings for the same mph, but ultimately they are all fairly close.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:23 PM

That seems about right. I am kind of going from memory, don't watch it much while going down the highway, but it is about 4000 at 55 and between 4500 to 5000 at 65.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
5,500 is 75 - 77 mph on speedo.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Yep, the Vulcan is a high revving bike.
It's easily doubles the RPM's of what my truck does. But on the good side, the MPG is triple what I get on the truck !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:17 PM

Max torque on our bikes is around 5-6K. Was riding with my buddy who just bought the 01 Road King last night. 1450 something cc's I believe. I was following him as we turned onto FM1431 and he gunned it trying to get away from me. He took me from the dead stop and was a good 50 yards in front of me but I caught him easily before he got to 65 mph. Those harleys have a lot of bottom end torque but they seem to run out of the high end of the power band pretty quick compared to ours. He tried it several times last night but never could get away from me. Then it was my turn to lead and he could only catch me when I leveled out at the speed limit. We stopped to eat dinner way up at the north end of lake buchanan and he said something about how quick my bike was. I didn't know if he'd admit it or not, but he did.

This morning I turned onto the same road in the middle of town heading to work and pulled in behind a guy I work with that has one of the custom made, limited edition harleys, I think in a 1200 cc. He tried to pull away from me and couldn't. I was enjoying watching him shift down as he went up every hill and I would have to slow down to keep my distance. When we got to work he said he wondered if that was me. But he didn't say anything about not being able to leave me in his dust. I know he was thinking about it though. Just too proud to admit my little KAW was keeping up with his seventeen thousand dollar (used) custom harley.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:39 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
he said something about how quick my bike was. I didn't know if he'd admit it or not, but he did.

But he didn't say anything about not being able to leave me in his dust. I know he was thinking about it though. Just too proud to admit my little KAW was keeping up with his seventeen thousand dollar (used) custom harley.
LMAO !!!!
Vulcan RULE, Hardleys go... putt-putt-putt !!!
That's showin' them , Fergy !!

And $17K for a bike??

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 PM

Yeah, $17,000 for an 02, he bought last year. It's a pretty bike, but eeeek$$$!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 03:45 PM
"ya can't live forever"

i'M AT 60 MPH @4000 RPM
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Max torque on our bikes is around 5-6K. Was riding with my buddy who just bought the 01 Road King last night. 1450 something cc's I believe. I was following him as we turned onto FM1431 and he gunned it trying to get away from me. He took me from the dead stop and was a good 50 yards in front of me but I caught him easily before he got to 65 mph. Those harleys have a lot of bottom end torque but they seem to run out of the high end of the power band pretty quick compared to ours. He tried it several times last night but never could get away from me. Then it was my turn to lead and he could only catch me when I leveled out at the speed limit. We stopped to eat dinner way up at the north end of lake buchanan and he said something about how quick my bike was. I didn't know if he'd admit it or not, but he did.

This morning I turned onto the same road in the middle of town heading to work and pulled in behind a guy I work with that has one of the custom made, limited edition harleys, I think in a 1200 cc. He tried to pull away from me and couldn't. I was enjoying watching him shift down as he went up every hill and I would have to slow down to keep my distance. When we got to work he said he wondered if that was me. But he didn't say anything about not being able to leave me in his dust. I know he was thinking about it though. Just too proud to admit my little KAW was keeping up with his seventeen thousand dollar (used) custom harley.
Sorry to get off the subject plainsrider I never really took notice of the rpm at that speed but I have to respond to fergys comments.Fergy last year when my bike was new I had the same thing happen to me against a 1200 hardley and a 1602 victory the hardley I could pass at will had no trouble at all.I never tried it from a standstill.The victory was leading and I was watching his tailpipes when I saw a puff of black smoke come out of his pipes I would hammer it and he could not get away from me.As a matter of fact I was gaining on him until we hit 90 on a country road and I backed off.I thought it was a fluke.You cleared that up for me.We do have a great bike Thanks.By the way when I backed off I checked the rear view and the hardley was way back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement