1st ride... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

1st ride...

Well well well. What was I missing. Age 53 here, bought a 2000 a month ago. Registered for the MSC and am scheduled for June 23, 24. I have my permit, bike is registered/insured.

Anyway, up till today, having no riding gear I've been doing the driveway thing and chomping at the bit. Took off from work and went to local cycle shop and went on a spending spree, not really. Bought an Arai vector helmet, Olympia hard knuckle gloves and a Firstgear textile/armor jacket. Already have old full grain leather hiking boots and heavy jeans.

It's been over 35 years for me (dirt bikes) and I was very leery regarding turns etc. I have a nice quiet dead-end development behind my home in the rural Hunterdon County area and that's where I've been itching to go to practice. Got nice sweeping curves/turns etc. So I fired the beast up and off I went.

WOW! The word that 1st came to mind was exhilarating. I did 3 miles and pulled into my driveway, got off and said, what the hell am I doing? I wanted more. Back out again for several miles in same area. Back to home, same thing, I didn't want to get off. Back out again this time expanding out a little further. I botched a right turn by taking it too wide. You see, I started out at 10:30am (real quiet) I got a little rattled when traffic appeared, especially behind me. I kept at it a little more and after 30 miles on the trip-meter called it a day.

Whew, this is going to be fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
What a Great feeling isin't it

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

Hell yea. Got a lot more practicing to do though. Got it up to 50 mph on local county road, didn't mind or even notice the wind. Helmet is real quiet.

I still have trouble with the clutch/throttle coming off a dead stop and turning at an intersection. Practice, practice, practice I guess.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Congrats!!! And I figure turns, stops, starts, etc. are just like shooting free throws - no reason ever to stop practicing 'em, 'cause there's always gonna be a point when you need 'em.

C
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:23 PM

Yuppers, it was a beautiful day here in MD today. I had to go do a service call took angel out and "practiced" for over 150 miles. Every ride is "practice" and also fun. Glad to hear you got out and kept at it for a while. It just keeps getting better.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Geek

Woo Hoo. Congrats. Keep practicing the slllooowwww stuff. Any one can do 60 down a highway...

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Yeah, the slow stuff is the trickiest.
Ya need a real good sense of balance as well as good coordination using the clutch & gas just enough to keep some momentum
My one riding buddy & I almost always will try to keep moving, ever so slightly, when coming to a stop sign/light, without putting our feet down.
There have been a few times I almost dropped the bike because I didn't want him going longer than I did before one of us has to finally touch ground.

Glad ya enjoyed your excursion, Hiker.
Here's to many more (longer ones) in the near future

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Lebanon, NJ

Yea, it was great. Another thing I kept forgeting was to turn off my turn indicator.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Many bike rallys have a "slow race" where the object is to be LAST across the line, without touching your feet to the ground. That takes skill.
Another thing you might want to work on is starting from a stop - on a hill. That is definitely a situation you will run into out there. Find a gentle incline on a quiet street to start practicing on. I found it easier to hold the bike with the rear brake 1st, then work my way up to holding the front brake, and manipulating the throttle at the same time.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM

I take out 2 liter bottles filled with water to one of my local parks with overly large paring lots that are never full, (what a waste of woods they are), and practice the driver skills test. I already have my license but as the others have said it pays do do slow stuff practice. I also am a practitioner of the, try not to put your foot down at traffic lights. Another thing to start practicing once you have the confidence is high speed obstacle avoidance. It has saved me on more than one occasion now. Had a hubcap come off a truck in front of me a week or so ago. I'm not sure what kinda damage it would have done to the tires if any, but I'm glad I have practiced the quick swerve and didn't have to find out.

Last edited by Foxhound; 05-16-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: So it would make sense!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement