Arrrrrrgh !!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Angry Arrrrrrgh !!!

Yesterday my son was playing in the garage near the bike
And ...
He has pushed a metal heater which was stocked on the wall close to the bike (small garage ! )

BUMP the nice and shiny tank has now a bump ! a strong one !!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:21 AM
85 VN 700

Ahh... Kids will be kids... When I bought my bike the previous owners kid had played with the idle adjust knob - and the bike wasn't happy (when I looked at the bike it was the first time it'd been started since summer).

Some people will be along shortly to suggest ways to get the bump outta your tank.

By "strong" do you mean a big one?

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:39 AM

you can try using dry ice.....I tried on mine but had no luck, I think the tanks may be too thick for this to work, I have a dent on the roof of the car I am going to try it on (don't ever put a bed on top of a neon) just waiting for nice hot days for it to work best

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If the dent remains, you'll come to think of it as a "cute" reminder of the days when your son was so little. Not to overstate the comparison, but we have two Great Pyrenees - and we have a couple pieces of nice-ish furniture that got chewed on (Zach also ate two remote controls before just putting some deep teeth marks in our current one). Now that they're older (Zach is old), we just look at the chair legs and chuckle. Everything has a history - the dent may become part of your bike's.

C
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The tank is probably too thick and does not have enough surface area for the dry ice. Try finding a dent puller kit that consists of a nylon bridge, glue on threaded stud, and handwheel. They usually work somewhat on small dents that do not have pressure points (shallow dent without crease. If you have acrease or deep dent then chalk it up to a beauty mark or seek the help of a professional.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:26 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Yep, kids will be kids. Not sure about in France, but here in the States, some of those dent remover guys can do wonders.
There was a dent on my tank when I got it. Luckily it was on the top, a bit below the gas cap. I was able to cover it with a tank bib.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunatelly it's on the side edge, just on the color strip !!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM

thats where mine is so forget the dry ice and try what rckmtn says.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:15 PM

I've been using the dry ice on a tank with a dent the size of a baseball. I now have it down to the size of a quarter and am still working on it.
Get the dry ice from your local grocery store for free (don't forget to take a cooler with you). They usually get it certain days of the week with their frozen deliverirs and just put it outside in the sun to disappear. Since mine was so big I have spent several days and hours on it due to it's location (several inches forward and to the left of the fuel cap on the curvature of the tank).
It will work but it usually takes many attempts ($ cost is nothing--just some of your time). Certain "light" dents will usually pop right out with one or two attempts, but these are usaully tiny hail damage like dents. Location of the dent also is a very significant factor as to how many attempts or "if" it will even pop out.
You need to hold the ice against the dent for several minutes. USE GLOVES!!!
You may want some ear plugs also, when the metal is very hot from sitting in the sun and you hold the ice over the dent it tends to "scream" very loudly. Make sure the ice is at least an inch larger than the diameter of the dent. You can use light pressure and move the ice very slowly around the area of the dent to widen it's effect. When the entire dent and an inch or so around the dent develop a light but visible "frost" remove the ice and wait. If it does not remove the dent keep trying it. My work in progress has been yeilding results but very slowly. The dent only comes up a little at a time, hardly visible at all. Very hot sunny days also help, make sure the dented side of the bike is facing the sun directly. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

I put my knee into the side of my tank when fell with the bike in the back yard. (Just learning to ride) I was a smooth dent with no paint damage. I was able to get the guy that comes to the car dealers to pull the dent. He went in through the filler hole and pushed it out from the inside. 97% effective and cost me $20.00

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
Sponsored Links