Dumped the bike yesterday… - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Waffle House regular…

Dumped the bike yesterday…

Well I guess something like this is bound to happen. My wife wanted to take the bike for a ride and grab something to eat while we were out, so who am I to complain. We had just left the house and needed to make a quick stop to pick up some ear buds for her. As I slowed to a stop, making a hard right turn into a parking spot, the front wheel hit a rock and scooted. Well the bike went over with us both doing the tuck and roll. Only damage was to the brake lever and a small scratch on the rear turn signal. Of course my pride has a large bruise! Even though the weather was hot we both had denim jackets on. Good thing too because my wife scraped her elbow on the asphalt marring her jacket but not her arm.

Now the bad news…my wife may never let me live this down. She tells everyone I wrecked her, she is joking of course but it is already getting old. The good news is only one person saw this accident. Last Saturday we went on a poker run. Had I did this then in front of all those other riders I may have never recovered.

Ride safe everyone…

1996 VN 750 (Spark)
Extended Sissybar
Soft Saddle Bags
Short Windshield
Marbled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
good to hear that you are in one piece!

yeah, unfortunatley your wife will never forget about it. we have friends that had something similar happen and though it will be one year as they no longer have bike, whenever the conversation comes anywhere close to motorcycling or riding 2 up she always says "you dumped my ass!" of cource joking.
sorry i don't have anything more reasuring to say.

but at least now you have a good excuse to get those nice wideblade levers!

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Stranger Than Fiction

Send a message via MSN to cmanningjr
At least you're both OK, last week a friend of mine wasn't as lucky. Broke his arm in 2 places..... 12 weeks in a cast. UGGGG!

'92 Vn750

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

well, you know what they say "there are two kinds of riders-those that have gone down and those that are going down"
i'm just glad your wife and you are both ok. also, hats off to you for wearing protection.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hey, 'stuff happens'.

Next time she brings up the mishap, just tell her....

Quote:
"Well, it was all planned. I had to see how well you would handle a situation involving an unexpected spill.
Why do you think it happened in a parkinglot, at slow speed?!
The only thing I wasn't planning on was the scratched taillight. Ya know I wanted new levers, right?!!"
Maybe that'll help

Good to hear it was a slow speed drop and you both are OK.

EDIT: I forgot to add, be sure to tell her she did a wonderful job staying calm and her execution of the 'Tuck & Roll' was excellent !!
Ya may need to add in the thought of a new jacket as a reward for her achievement ! lol

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

Last edited by hyperbuzzin; 05-05-2007 at 12:52 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Ditto on the glad everyone was unhurt. My first "spill" was also at slow speed. Unseen oilspot, lane change, idiot cager cutting me off. Broke my collar bone! Plus cosmetic stuff to the bike. As Ruger said, now you can add yourself to the "done that" group. Hopefully never to be repeated.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Recently I was riding 2 up with my wife in town on a 30 mph street. I was going a little under the limit and was slowing as a car on a cross steet was tring to cross in front of me. I saw the driver look in my direction and the other. Sure enough he pulled out in front of us as he looked again. With only 7000 miles experiance I was proud and glad I did some things right. 1. I was not speeding. 2. I was watching and paying attendtion. 3. I covered both brakes and applyed them with strong skid free force. The car driver stopped half way into the intersection. And this is were I may have made a mistake as I went around him in front. I later thought what if he would have continued on! Well it was a learning experiance and there was no accident.
I was ratteled by the incedent and should have pulled over for a while.

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 01:20 PM
85 VN 700

I had one like that - though I don't think the damn greyhair that pulled out in front of me had even looked my way. I came to a stop less than a few feet from their passenger door (the look on the old lady's face was priceless).

The one spill I've had was because I was being a retard. I was late to a class and tried beating a yellow. It was raining and I had hard old tires on the bike (that were going to be replaced the next weekend - I'd just bought her). Half way through the intersection (going too quick), a van pulled into my path. I panicked and hit the front too hard. About the time the front locked up I hit a bump in the road where it goes from asphalt to cement - caused me to go down (wasn't sure for a while why I'd went down till I realized I'd went down a few feet after the bump).

Lessons learned: don't try to beat a light (duh!) and never ride with old hard tires in the rain.

I was glad I had my ammo can saddlebags - saved me and the bike from all but superficial damage - had no road rash (just torn rain gear and jeans) - and had less than $100 of damage to the bike (fixed practically free thanks to other VN750-ers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
Recently I was riding 2 up with my wife in town on a 30 mph street. I was going a little under the limit and was slowing as a car on a cross steet was tring to cross in front of me. I saw the driver look in my direction and the other. Sure enough he pulled out in front of us as he looked again. With only 7000 miles experiance I was proud and glad I did some things right. 1. I was not speeding. 2. I was watching and paying attendtion. 3. I covered both brakes and applyed them with strong skid free force. The car driver stopped half way into the intersection. And this is were I may have made a mistake as I went around him in front. I later thought what if he would have continued on! Well it was a learning experiance and there was no accident.
I was ratteled by the incedent and should have pulled over for a while.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Dan

I always lay on my horn when I approach someone coming from the other way who is waiting to make a left turn. I have a loud horn. Sometimes they look pissed off but it get's their attention. Some drivers literally do not see a bike because they are geared to looking for cars.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Pink Willie, do you need a new brake lever? I bought one on eBay, thinking I'd spruce up the project bike, but it's a wide grip. I can't even begin to reach it with my hand on the throttle. I'll sell it for what I paid - $21, which includes shipping. PM me if you want it, and I'll send it right out.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement