Oh, I just don't know... maybe to the shop ?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

Oh, I just don't know... maybe to the shop ??

I've finally been able to spend some time on preparing for my stator change/frame mod.

As I started removing the left ear & rad cover, I looked around the garage.
Well, actually it's my dads garage and he uses it for doing alot of woodworking.
With all the stuff he has in there, it kinda leaves me with limited room for doing the stator,
and then, to do any welding in there.....well, not too good an idea.
That got me to thinking, it might be a better idea to have the local shop do my stator instead and skip the frame mod.

With the previous post of the stator fried Vulcan Dennis had for sale, I had though about doing the same thing and selling,
but I really like the Vulcan, so I pretty much kicked that idea out the window.

I'm gonna check out a couple shops and see what they say, as far as how much and when they'd be able to get to it.
I probably should have just done that earlier, but like I said, I finally got time to really look at things,
and it looks like I should have done this earlier !! LOL

Oh well, like Rosanne Rosannadanna always said,
"It's Always Somethin" !!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Glad to read you are keeping your 750.....

If you don't have current access to the needed garage/shop space that can be dedicated strictly to your bike's repair, then I totally sympathize and agree with your decision to farm the work out to a repair shop.

All I would ask/suggest is that you be sure to do business with someone who has a proven track record of doing reliable work (the first time!)--and not just by price only.

What brand/source stator are you putting in? One from Rick's--or somewhere else? Did you say earlier that your r/r is ok? What voltmeter (if any) are you using on your bike?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 12:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Tim -

I think that you are a mechanic by trade, no?

If so, with a little help lifting, and not too much room, you could easily swap out the stator in any garage in a day if you had all the parts handy.

I got the engine out in about 3 hours, then it took about 3 hours to get it back in and make all the connections, hoses, connectors, etc.

Once out, the stator change shouldn't take you more than an hour. The Rick's stator I used dropped right in.

If I had it to do again, I would pull the rear wheel so that I could get the bevel case out and in easier. For me, the time it took to pull the rear wheel and put the bevel case in was much shorted than trying to muscle the bevel case in with the pre-loaded shaft.

IMHO, if you put in a quality stator, make sure the rest of your charging system is right, and are diligent about your oil changes, you won't be changing that stator again for a while. But of course, time will tell.

I bet the shop is going to get 8 - 10 hours labor.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

I got a stator from Rick's. Sounds like that's the best way to go.
As far as a voltmeter, nothing yet. Still haven't decided on the one I'm going to get, but something will get put on for elecrical system check.
And for the r/r, that still needs tested, but hopes are high that it's still good. They're going to test it at the shop to be sure, then I'll double check their check so I can be sure

The shop that will most likely do the work is one that's been in the area for as long as I can remember. It was originally a Honda shop, then went to Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda, then added KTM to their list.
Recently though, they dropped Kawi from their sales dept., but still work on them.
From those I've talked to, they're quite reliable and I've always been happy with the parts department there.
I wouldn't choose a shop just by price alone, unless a friend, who used to have his own shop and helped rebuild my XR dualsport, but now works at a BMW shop as head mechanic, said he'd be able to do it cheaper, but I doubt that'll happen. BMW shops aren't known to be too cheap (even when ya know them)

And Jon, not a mechanic, I'm a machinist, and not the type that works on engines/motors. I work on a CNC lathe.
I had though about partitioning off part of the garage to be sure all the wood dust could be kept clear of the work area, but there isn't much room for doing it comfortably. So far the shop said about $450-$500 labor.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

Last edited by hyperbuzzin; 04-30-2007 at 01:22 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
I got a stator from Rick's. Sounds like that's the best way to go.
As far as a voltmeter, nothing yet. Still haven't decided on the one I'm going to get, but something will get put on for elecrical system check.
And for the r/r, that still needs tested, but hopes are high that it's still good. They're going to test it at the shop to be sure, then I'll double check their check so I can be sure

The shop that will most likely do the work is one that's been in the area for as long as I can remember. It was originally a Honda shop, then went to Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda, then added KTM to their list.
Recently though, they dropped Kawi from their sales dept., but still work on them.
From those I've talked to, they're quite reliable and I've always been happy with the parts department there.
I wouldn't choose a shop just by price alone, unless a friend, who used to have his own shop and helped rebuild my XR dualsport, but now works at a BMW shop as head mechanic, said he'd be able to do it cheaper, but I doubt that'll happen. BMW shops aren't known to be too cheap (even when ya know them)

And Jon, not a mechanic, I'm a machinist, and not the type that works on engines/motors. I work on a CNC lathe.
I had though about partitioning off part of the garage to be sure all the wood dust could be kept clear of the work area, but there isn't much room for doing it comfortably. So far the shop said about $450-$500 labor.
I saw a picture of your bike in front of a huge red tool cabinet and made an assumption (yeah I know).

CNC lathe huh, that's a trick piece of gear. What kind of things to you make?
Always been intrigued by CNC equipment.

In that case, I agree the shop is the way to go. And like you said, most important is to find one that people like, the money actually becomes secondary to finding a shop that knows what they're doing.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
CNC lathe huh, that's a trick piece of gear. What kind of things to you make?
Always been intrigued by CNC equipment.
The lathes are really something. I run two machines, both Mazak. One is a Multiplex 610, and the other is a Multiplex 620. They're kinda like two lathes in one, with the spindles facing each other, so parts can run on one spindle, then be automatically transferred to the other to complete the back side of the part. They also both have a robot which can load/unload parts.

I mostly make parts for medical equipment, alot of parts for mining/firefighting breathing devices for MSA (Mine Safety Appliances), some parts for the aircraft industry and parts for Daimler-Benz (that I have no clue as to what they're for, but not for cars)
HERE's a link to where I work.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:40 PM

And here I thought we were going to have dueling stator installs! I'm totally with you, though - $400-500 isn't bad at all; Hmmmmmm.....

C
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
And here I thought we were going to have dueling stator installs!
LOL, I was going to say maybe next time, but for both our sakes, I hope there is no next time.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement