Is 2005 vn750 a good bike? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Question Is 2005 vn750 a good bike?

I bought my 750 new from a dealer (My first bike) and have had no problem with it. I have read your postings, spline lube, stator replacement, R/R relocation ect. I understand spline lubing to a point, but core electrial failure seems too much. Is the Kaw vn750 a good bike or not?
I think my dealer is good and fair, but am I right to say parts are costly?
You all have me a little concerned that my 750 will not be long lived unless I learn to do some real Mech. work. The stator concerns me most. Sounds like the engine needs to come out to do thi$$$$$. Can someone comment on the fact that the bike is no longer in production? How will this effect the availablity of parts?

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

This bike has been in production for over 20 years, so there are gobs of them out there and parts parts parts. Yes 2006 was it's last production year. Not to worry though. For one, you found this forum. You know where to come ask questions and you are in the minority! There are thousands of these bikes out there and only around 2000 members here so you are one of the gifted ones.
As far as problems, this bike has no more problems than any other bike. Go read any bike specific forum out there and you'll read about mostly problems and fixes. That's what forums like this are for mostly. Remember, most people go desperately looking for help and find a forum when they need an answer to a problem they're having. That's why a high percentage of the threads on this forum and all others are talking about problems and fixes. It is not an unusual question that you asked, and has been asked before many times by new members that are shocked to see all the problems.

The spline lube issue is not specific to our bikes either, but we tell every new member, especially owners of newer bikes to check them, because every once in a while, one left the factory without any lube, primariliy in the 2000 and newer range. Older bikes need them checked because it is a maintenance procedure that is supposed to be performed at 6000 miles and every 12000 miles after that, and it is often left un-checked, and although there was probably lube on them from the factory, it needs to be renewed and cleaned out by now.

Stator failure is a serious issue when it happens bacause the engine has to be pulled to access the stator. It's an issue on several models of bikes, not just ours. Our charging system is just barely adequate for the electrics we have on the bike, and adding lights etc. can have a negative effect on it. Running the bike hot or overheating can also take it's toll on the charging system. The reason we bark at every new member about "change out your wet cell battery with an MF sealed battery, and check your splines, etc." is because we are trying to educate everyone immediately to the weaknesses or neglected (typically) parts of our bike maintenance. It's not to say that every one of them is going to fail if you don't. It's just good practice to get everyone on the road to having a positive and long lasting experience with their new (or old) vulcan!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM

By the way, YES! The 05 VN750 is a GREAT bike!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Dear Fergy,
You must have been watching me type. I was shocked at the speed of your reply. A big thank you to you for taking the time to reply as you did. SETH

SETH
2005 vn750
stock bike
stock back rest extension
stock windshield (sport sized)
Mustang seat
Dunlop 404s at 7600Mi
Spline lube by dealer
14,200 mile as of March 18, 2009
New Metzler ME 880s 3/18/09
Spline lube again
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
I agree with Fergy, well said.

I have also pulled my engine and replaced the stator. On a 14 year old machine, I don't think that's a lot to ask.

Not too bad a job, more time consuming than hard.

With 23,500 on the odometer, I figure I've got 25K more trouble free miles to go!

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Seth....Dude!

The spline lube maintenance requirement is there for ANY bike with a shaft drive. Not just our 750.

This bike was produced for just over 20 years--with almost no changes. Very few other bikes can say that. This should tell you that the bike had a good following for a long time, and was not a "lemon".

I think Kaw stopped producing it due to a trend more towards "bigger" bikes, and fuel injection/emissions concerns (they didn't want to redesign the bike for this).

Stator failures are not unique just to this bike. You can minimize the odds of this happening by following the advice Fergy gave, and that in other relevant threads. Another good idea (for any bike, thank you) is to install a voltmeter, to monitor your bike's charging system. There's advice and info for that here, as well.

Keep your new bike, and enjoy it! It stacks up very well against its competitors....

Last edited by theauhawk; 04-27-2007 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
yep IMO this is a good bike and ditto on everything.
my buddy as he was to begin working as phone support for Laptop building firm was told by his trainer "Sometimes you will think that we build the worst laptop on earth". same goes here.
and don't worry, you will gain confidence as you ride it.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM

I agree with all the above posts, there is no such thing as a maintenace free motorcycle, but the VN with the correct preventative maintenance and some of the pointers that you'll get here should keep the beast running for many many enjoyable miles.

I work with a guy that's got an '06 Honda VTX 1300 and his stator went out on him within the first two months. Bottom line is every bike has issues, but you've got a great resource here for when you do have issues. If the previous owner of my bike had known about this site, I probably wouldn't be replacing my r/r now. Luckily (for me anyway) he found out about the splines (the hard way). Most of the preventative maint. stuff is fairly easy with some of the write ups on this site. So don't sweat it, you've got a good ride.

Just my .02
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 PM

I have 2005 and have put 18K miles on it without any major repairs because I did and still do preventive measures. Change the oil every 2000 miles. It is one of the most important things you can do because the oil not only protects the engine but also the clutch, and helps keep the stator cool. Go by the book on fluid changes and preventive maintence. When I purchased the bike, I first removed the goats belly and relocated the regulator to the side. This mod removed all the heat from under the seat and off of the regulator. It also sounds awesome. I put in a maintience free battery because they are better and believe me, not only bikes but cars also need a good battery and good electrical connections to keep all those sensors happy. Besides, you don't haver to worry about it anymore. I also added a voltage gauge to keep an eye on the charging system. I had to put new tires on for this season and checked the rear spline and found that the grease on it was almost dry. There was very little. All parts were in great condition. I cleaned the rear drive assy., added new hi temp grease. Should last until I need to replace the rear brakes or set of tires which ever comes first. I probably will replace all brakes before next season anyway. My 2005 has been an awesome bike.

Ride and have fun!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM

My best friend and riding buddy has an 02 goldwing 1800 that he paid $22,000+ for. Although he hasn't had any major problems with it and he takes very good care of it, he's had things go wrong with it that you wouldn't think a $22k bike would. He just renewed his extended warranty on it for another 3 or 4 years and had a bunch of things like switches that don't work anymore and levers that don't work anymore, replaced. He takes it into the Honda dealership religiously to have maintenance done. No matter what you pay for a bike, it needs to be maintained and things will wear out and need replacing. He's had the shaft relubed at least twice if not 3 times in 32000 miles. When I asked him about the drive shaft, he said "oh yeah, they have to be lubed every blah blah thousand miles" so he was aware of it. Seems like he said it was also in his manual in the maintenance schedule. He also finds things loose on it now and then when he's cleaning it. He had one of the chrome pieces fall off on a ride one time. Luckily he realized it and was able to go back and pick it up! Those parts are expen$ive on the wings!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement