Installing a larger gas tank?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Installing a larger gas tank??

I am interested in installing a larger gas tank in order to be able to bypass the lovely metropolis of Baker, CA (home of the highest gas prices in Christendom.) If anybody here has any info on this, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12
Re: Installing a larger gas tank??

I have been thinking about getting a fuel cell that I can attach to the back of my bike.
This place has a 4 gallon fuel cell that measures about 9" x 9" around the sides and about 16" tall.
http://www.rjsracing.com/fuelcells.html
I have seen prices less than $100, not including any parts necessary to run a fuel line from the tank to your petcock.

This place has a whole bunch of smaller fuel cells, but most are between $100 - $150
http://www.rciracing.com/

I found this place too that has a variety of tanks for around $100.
http://www.jazproducts.com/index2.htm

Granted these aren't as elegant as getting a bigger tank, but there are a lot of tank size options and you can always remove it from you bike if you don't need it at the time.

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Search Goddess

We've been looking at the auxilary furl tanks also. Problem is.. where or how to tie it into the tank so we can just flip a switch to refill. Otherwise it is just a gas can, right?
I have an advantage since I have the sidecar so carrying one won't be a problem, would just like to refuel on the go *S*

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:39 PM

I also was wandering the same thing. I am hoping that a tank from a different bike would fit. Check with a motorcycle salvage yard to see if the would have a list of tanks from other bikes that would fit. Just a thought keep us informed.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Search Goddess

One thing I should add on this.. We are also installing an 800 tank on a VN750 project bikke we are working on. The 800 is a 4 gallon tank so we gain a little bit more. It does mean doing some other changes to the bike though. The instruments will be removed from the handle bars and the instrument cluster for the 800 tank used.
Believe it or not some Harley split tanks could also be adapted to the VN750.
Key things you have to consider are
1. Fuel feed
2. How close a fit are the brackets and how does it sit over the frame.

Going too big could off set the lines of the bike and leave you straddling the tank with bowed legs just to get to the shifter and brake. Going too high could affect handlebar clearance in some tight turns (Don't want those little dings when you crank the bars to back into a space now do you!)

As with any modifications to basic equipment for our bikes, don't think about what will fit, Think instead about how you can make something fit. That opens up a much wider spectrum to choose from then!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 07:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to IASKRU12

From the little research I have done, if the aux tank is at or above the same level as your main gas tank, like the luggage rack, you can let gravity do the work. If you want to have the aux tank in your hack, you would need to get a fuel pump.

You can tie into your existing system. I was thinking about simply removing the reserve hose and replacing it with the aux tank hose. Or adding an extra switch for the reserve line so you could still use the reserve. You can even get fuel level sensors for the AUX tanks.

One site I was looking at had instructions on adding a extra fuel connector by drilling out a hole in your original tank. Using that to connect aux tank. I was leery about it, when the instructions talk about using "a small childs or womans hand" to reach into the tank. Didn't sound good. I am reluctant to do anything to my bike that isn't reversible.

Mike
Bellevue, WA
'96 Vulcan 750 'Hanchi'
VROC#11903
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

What I have been doing so far is to carry a couple of liters of extra gas in the saddlebags using backpacking (white gas) fuel containers. This has worked, but what I'm thinking about is maybe even a custom tank or something larger adapted to fit the 750. Just wanted to know if anybody had any "specific" models of tanks that could be easily (more or less) adapted.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 08:55 PM
nadnerb_fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna
We've been looking at the auxilary furl tanks also. Problem is.. where or how to tie it into the tank so we can just flip a switch to refill. Otherwise it is just a gas can, right?
I have an advantage since I have the sidecar so carrying one won't be a problem, would just like to refuel on the go *S*
What changes did you have to make to the Vulcan 800 tank or 750 mounts for the VN800 tank to mount securely?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 01:01 AM

Having looked at all of those, a concern arises about the safety of the cells during an accident or some such.

The reason for the concern is that we are talking about putting a tank outside the protection of the main frame of the bike.

Granted, I've only started the research, but a concern I have is my being a newbie, laying down the bike and getting myself a nice healthy fuel leak.

An additional concern is what our friend at the DMV and or various l.e. agencies would have to say to something like that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Can you say ROLLING BOMB?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement