Be Careful out There - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Be Careful out There

Hi, All -
One of those odd nights when I usually ride my bike into Frederick to play bridge (yeah, bridge...interesting combo, huh?). Anyway, didn't feel sharp and so I drove the car. On the way into town, I kept thinking to myself, "Self, check your blind spots - lots of motorcyclists out tonight." Kept doing it, almost obsessively. Got within a mile of Frederick, and what do I see but a motorcycle on its side, lying in the road by the median, and a bunch of people huddled around a young man. Turns out he was westbound on one road, and the merging traffic just didn't see him - blind spot, someone hit him, and sent him across the median.

Anyway, he's of the lucky ones - didn't lose consciousness, no spinal cord injury, but lots of road rash (wear your safety gear, folks!!) and probably a broken ankle. The bike was toast.

Just a reminder that folks are just getting used to seeing motorcycles on the roads again since spring finally arrived; and most of us didn't ride enough over the winter to stay sharp and a step ahead of the game. So, be careful out there. Safety first, safety last, safety in between...

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Safety up, safety down, safety ALL AROUND !!!

Good to hear that the guy's mostly OK.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Safety up, safety down, safety ALL AROUND !!!

Good to hear that the guy's mostly OK.
As a certified survivor of being raised in The Safety Family, I love it! Gotta send it to my sister - she needs a new tag line for her stepson.

C

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM

Yeah I saw a sport bike twisted and broken, and a sheet, on my ride home from Long Island on sunday. I'm not a fan of the way most sport bike riders ride, but I would not wish THAT on anyone.

I had someone pull into my lane while on my way home from a job yesterday as well. I always stay aware of being in someones blind spot and try to minimize time in that zone.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

There was a bad accident down in Rockville Sunday-into-Monday: a woman on a sportbike and her boyfriend (reportedly) were speeding in a 50mph zone. Cops went to stop them and they sped up, but she lost it in a turn at 75 mph. DOA, although the boyfriend got away. That started yesterday's traffic craziness in the area, but it just continued all day. Someone check their calendar, but is Drive Like a Moron Month coming up so soon already??

C
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:40 PM

I have seen the results of many many crack ups when I worked for a motorcycle dismantler. At the time my job was to pull any salvagable parts off the twisted hulks. Some of the bikes we got in all you had to do is look at them and you know the rider was not with us any more.

Motorcycles are fun, exciting, thrilling, and above all dangerous. Some times its the rider some times its the cars around them that make it that way. We ride around town or on country roads, and even the freeway the risk really never changes.

Over confidence and lack of skill are killers to many bikers. You hear them give lip service to riding with in their limits but then you see them dooing high speed turns on the freeway in high traffic weaving there way through.

It all comes down to experence and understanding that no one on the road cares about you.

How many time has someone been stuck in traffic in their car in 110 degree weather and saw that guy cutting lanes and just wanted to open thier door?

Its not that all drivers are bad they are just careless. This comes from driving 1 + ton of vehicle that has the 4 star crash rating. Drivers now feel all to safe in there cars and this makes them careless. They dont check there mirrors look around for other drivers since they have side and front air bags that will deploy if they hit some one.

It all comes down how good are you. Do you look ahead? Do you ride with in your limits? we cant control the drivers in the tin cans but we shure can avoid being one of the unlucky dead.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:23 PM

I hear ya on the safety! I have been riding almost daily for the last 2 months and I have come to realize that Saturday and Sunday mornings are probably the most dangerous. Lots of people driving the "family car" when they are probably used to their commuting car and kids bouncing/fighting in the back seat distracting the drivers.

Last week I decided to give up the Saturday morning errand runs with the bike, when an idiot took a right turn from the left (3rd) lane, missing my front tire by inches as I locked up the back wheel. That was after having an old man pass me on the right going into a right turn on a one way road.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM

Had a minivan pull out in front of me from a Foodlion parking lot tonight. I saw them, noted the started, hesitated, looked like they were going to wait. I rolled off the throttle in anticipation... and yup out they popped at the last minute!! I know they saw me they wouldn't have hesitated. I gave it brake, horn and let them know they were still the number one driver.

Normally I'm not a big fan of hand displays of anger. Occasionally the idiots get the better of me.

Ultra defensive driving is a survival technique.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Hey, Gang....

I thought this is a really good thread.

With more and more cars and trucks out there over time, and their drivers dealing with more distractions than ever before, I think the subject of safety probably needs more discussions (similiar to this thread) than it's getting.

It's neat to read and learn from each about technical issues and so forth about our bikes, but obviously what's really most important is that we all come back from each ride--alive. And ready for the next ride.

For those of you that might be interested, the book series named Proficient Motorcycling does a good job discussing (among other things) the many ways bikers can get into trouble, and the habits/skills necessary for evasive action.

Very good reading, regardless of your bike experience level--whether you ride a sport bike or a cruiser.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Hey, Gang....

I thought this is a really good thread.

With more and more cars and trucks out there over time, and their drivers dealing with more distractions than ever before, I think the subject of safety probably needs more discussions (similiar to this thread) than it's getting.

It's neat to read and learn from each about technical issues and so forth about our bikes, but obviously what's really most important is that we all come back from each ride--alive. And ready for the next ride.

For those of you that might be interested, the book series named Proficient Motorcycling does a good job discussing (among other things) the many ways bikers can get into trouble, and the habits/skills necessary for evasive action.

Very good reading, regardless of your bike experience level--whether you ride a sport bike or a cruiser.
I've seen that one at Border's, but - as you noted - have been looking more at technical works (carbs, electronics) lately. Maybe I'll pick that one up this weekend and give it a gander. What our instructors told us in our MSF class is that if you're a good driver (car), you'll probably be a good motorcyclist (ok, maybe you drop the bike a few times, but you'll be otherwise safety conscious). I think that works to a point - anticipating problems, knowing dangerous intersections, thinking about where you'd go to bail off the road, etc. But unlike a car, there's usually not a second chance on a bike, so the stakes seem ever higher. And I'm used to people mucking around with me when on my bicycle (when I used to live in Illinois, I could ride some of the "main" roads 'cause there was no traffic; someone once tried to smack me - 55mph - with a crutch!)...at moto speeds, however, it's a totally different ballgame.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement