My Message to KAW - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

My Message to KAW

Text of my letter to KAW USA:

The Vulcan 750 is a great bike, however in our-online group of VN750/700 owners we have noted a QC issue we need to call to your attention. A number of us have noted that the final drive splines are under-lubricated at the factory. In some instances, this has led to early failure of the final drive. Several riders have checked prior to the scheduled 6000 mile maintenance and have found the splines dusty dry, with early signs of grinding and extra wear. This problem has been particularly noted in 2003 models.
The problem is exacerbated by dealers who apparently don't know to or simply neglect to lube the splines properly at the 6000 mile maintenance. I have spoken with at least a dozen fellow members (out of a membership of 1200) who reported that their dealer either professed ignorance of the need to lube, or flat out stated they didn't routinely do it (even though the manual is clear it is needed). In my case, the worst happened. I had my bike serviced by Forsyth Motosports in Winston-Salem NC, specifically calling attention to the factory list of maintenance to be performed. They assured me they would do all of it. However when the final drive failed some 3000 miles later, they admitted that that "never" pulled the rear wheel and lubed the rear spline at the 6K mile maintenance.

Some dealer education may be warranted, in addition to addressing possible QC issues on new bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 02:08 PM
spence

Send a message via AIM to spence
Re: My Message to KAW

I hope they respond to this. Let us know if they do

Spence

1982 KZ1000
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:10 PM

Great letter UG - keep us apprised please

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 05:16 PM

Vince,

Well put. As you may remember, I threw up the red flag on this a couple of months ago on the Yahoo site and repeated it here when this forum started up. Luckily, I was still under an extended warrantee and the dealer was easy to work the issue for me ( especially since the bike had about only 6000 miles on it and I showed him the parts in person). If you need to, on my website http://www.angeltowns2.com/members/norman/ I have 4 very good pictures of my splines that you can use If you need to. I was one of the lucky ones because they want $900 just for the final drive part ( I think their parts people are smoking crack or something ).

You said under-lubrication. Mine never had any from the factory.

Good luck.

Norm
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 PM
spence

Send a message via AIM to spence

Ok now I'm scared, I better look at mine

Spence

1982 KZ1000
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 08:46 PM

Question Re: My Message to KAW

Good letter Uncle Gomer,

Sometimes collective action gets more attention than a "lone voice crying in the wilderness." Has our group (what are we now 1300 or so strong?)ever sent their concerns to Kawasaki about frequently occurring problems with the 700/750's? Couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Who knows, today we might get the factory to properly lube the splines, tomorrow...maybe a better stator and/or the ability to replace it w/o removing the engine?

Ratty
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGomer
Text of my letter to KAW USA:
.....The problem is exacerbated by dealers who apparently don't know to or simply neglect to lube the splines properly at the 6000 mile maintenance. I have spoken with at least a dozen fellow members (out of a membership of 1200) who reported that their dealer either professed ignorance of the need to lube, or flat out stated they didn't routinely do it (even though the manual is clear it is needed). In my case, the worst happened. I had my bike serviced by Forsyth Motosports in Winston-Salem NC, specifically calling attention to the factory list of maintenance to be performed. They assured me they would do all of it. However when the final drive failed some 3000 miles later, they admitted that that "never" pulled the rear wheel and lubed the rear spline at the 6K mile maintenance.

Some dealer education may be warranted, in addition to addressing possible QC issues on new bikes.
Vince...I hope Kaw acts on this. Your point abt dealer ed is really true...mine had no clue. They do now, after they replaced my entire final drive at their expense @20,000mi bc it was never serviced. They had 3 shots at it under warrantee, but never knew it was required, important maintenance. I did not call it to their attention as you did, so my ignorance was their bliss...
Please let us in on their response, and feel free to ping me if they would like additional 'testimonials'..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement