Problems With Ebay - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
REDRIDER

Problems With Ebay

If You Have An Ebay And Paypal Account, You Should Check It Every Day. I Am Not Sure If Anyone Else Has Had The Problems I Have Had With Ebay. Someone Had Gotten My Ebay Account And Password And Was Selling Items On Ebay That I Had Not Authorized. I Spoke With Ebay By Phone, Live Chat And Email For Over Two Weeks Trying To Resolve The Charges. The Last Time I Checked My Account, There Were Over 4300 Items Being Sold And Ebay Had Charged My Checking Account $1,175.50. Per Their Recommendations, I Changed My Password Several Times, But The Problems Continued. I Finally Got My Money Back After Disputing These Charges And Filing A Claim With My Bank. I Immediately Canceled My Accounts With Ebay. However, I Was Told It Could Take Up To 180 Days To Completely Close Out The Account. If I See Anything On Ebay That I Must Have For My Vn750, I Will Contact The Seller About Other Methods Of Payment Other Than Paypal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Wow that is strange.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 AM

I got my bike and lots of toys for it from e-bay. I've changed my p/w and name a few times. I guess I will continue doing that from time to time. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike B.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM

damn that sux, I don't have my checking account info on paypal, just a small credit card....good thing too because I have been on ebay all the time lately...just picked up a great camera.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If your password was being hacked every time you changed it, it sounds like you had a "keylogger' program installed on your computer that was reporting your password to the culprits. You may have picked it up from a website and it was installed without your knowlege.
You should really consider having your computer scanned by a reputable anti spyware program or two. If you are running XP or higher, Microsoft has a free antispyware program called Windows Defender that works pretty good. In addition, I'd also download Spybot Search and Destroy to clean up what Windows Defender misses or vice versa. This is a good practice even if you aren 't having noticable problems as spyware or other malware is quite insidious and impossible to stop 100% of the time.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:06 PM

THis is one reason i will not give my checking account number out to any on line agency. If all you use is a CC you are not liable for fragulent charges. So even if my account is comprimized they cant hurt my checking account.

Trust No One

I do agree that you may be the victim of a key logger.

Do u have a unsecured wireless network at home?
Do you have fire walls set up (not just windows)
Check the folowing regestry key My computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE|Microsoft\win dows\currentversision\run and the Run Once key as well and take a screen shot and post so we can see whats running on your system.

A nother thing you can do is open task manager and click on the proccesses tab this will show you everyting that is running on your system if you see some ting you dont understand http://www.processlibrary.com/directory?files= this will give meaning to the jibberish.

And finialy I would suggest a posible re image of your system to be on the safe side (for the truly parinoid)
If you need help with any of this PM me
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Also DO NOT use the same password for both ebay and paypal accounts.

I got burned on that both ebay made good.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Another thing to watch for and avoid are the fraudulent emails that claim to be from paypal or ebay, claiming that your account has had suspicious activity and they you should click "here" to go verify or update your account. I see tons of these and most of the time I report them to ebay and paypal. Lots of folks get sucked into those and suddenly have gobs of charges posted to their credit cards and bank accounts.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Another thing to watch for and avoid are the fraudulent emails that claim to be from paypal or ebay, claiming that your account has had suspicious activity and they you should click "here" to go verify or update your account.
I don't open ANY emails from eBay, unless they are in my message folder on My eBay.
I also change my password if I have to use some other type of payment system other than Paypal. But then again, if they don't take Paypal, I usually don't bid unless I can pickup/pay in person.
Also, ya gotta watch out for second chance offers. That's another way alot of accounts get hijacked.

Hope ya get everything straightened out Daniel

On a side note about ebay, has anyone ever checked out the question boards?
Some of the questions they get are so lame, it's no wonder criminals find easy prey through eBay.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
REDRIDER

Thanks for all the advise. I will continue to update my system with the latest spyware programs to avoid the incidents from hopefully ever happening again. If you ever talk to Ebay (live chat) about problems, I have discovered that they may not be as helpful as you would expect. Just a helpful hint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement