My First Cruiser - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

My First Cruiser

Howdy everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading all of your post. I'm looking at getting my first cruiser this spring (Had a dual-sport and dirt bikes before this). I am seriously considering the Vulcan because they seem to be available. With that in mind, since you all know your stuff about this bike, maybe you could tell me if you think this ad has some potential. I found it in a local paper. I have a limit of about $3,000 (not including riding gear), but a less would always be nice. I'm 6'4" and 200 lbs. Am I too big for a Vulcan like this?

Description
1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 750, 31k mi,
excellent condition. Has been well
maintained and garaged, starts and
runs great. Shows very little wear
and almost looks new. Gets about 50mpg.
Extras: windshield, tank bag, gel seat
pad, 2 fullface helmets, HJC Chatterbox
with 2 headsets, Guardian cover. Has shaft drive
and hydraulic valve adjusters, so very
little maintenance. Pretty much just get
on and ride. $2700 OBO

So what do you guys think, worth a shot? Or should I just hold off?

Thanks,
Jarod

(first post)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Hey, I just bought my first Vulcan 750 from Craigslist. It was a '99 with 20K an regular and thorough maintenance. Windshield and sissy bar and a tank of gas. None of the extras. $2500. I'm finding that the maintenance is inevidable on these bikes. I scoured the earth for the last month and found that they generally sell for $2000 on average given all of the mileage. Seems like he marked near the blue book. Mileage can take a tole without proper maintenance. It's always nice to buy from a 1st owner who knows everything. Hope this helps!

Last edited by wheeler; 04-10-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Price
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

I just bought a 2000 750 with 5900 miles for 2200. I really dont think your to big. Im 6' 250 and am comfortable on mine. Id go take a look at it and see how it feels.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think if I could get him to come down on the price some this would be an ok deal? How many miles can a 750 take, properly cared for? 31k is a bit higher than several bikes I've seen.

Thanks,
Jarod
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Congratulations!!!

Your first choice in the cruiser world is a most excellent one.

No, you are not too big for this bike. This is one of the fastest/strongest bikes in its class--and stays with (or beats) bikes having twice the engine size.

As you have probably already seen, this bike comes tricked out with many features that you won't find on most other cruisers. I can point you to other cruisers of similar ilk that have them, but they are MUCH OLDER bikes.

Obviously I don't know how handy you are with a voltmeter, but you can read other threads here on how to test the charging system. You might do a test based on the info in these threads to see if the stator is performing as it should. Take a friend with you to work the throttle while you work the voltmeter. If the test does not go as it should, this of course is obviously an area of negotiation for you in the pricing!!!

In case you missed it, there is also a thread in the "Vulcan Verses" here on what to look for in a used VN750 (labelled "Used VN750 bike check").

Also, to check bike pricing (if you haven't already), visit kbb.com and look up the bike under the link for motorcycles.

BTW: others here have seen that, properly cared for, these bikes are good for over 100,000 miles.

Hope this helps!.....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 PM

I have found another site that I used. www.motorsportsnetwork.com You can go there and do a search under classifieds. You may find somthing else there with less miles and better priced. You can always offer less and see if he bites. Never know how bad he needs the $$$.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, that does help. I just wasn't sure about the Vulcan's longevity. If I can get him to come down a bit, maybe I'll be able to join your ranks before long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwolf68 View Post
You can always offer less and see if he bites. Never know how bad he needs the $$$.
I agree, with that in mind (and no pressure), but would anyone be willing to suggest what I should offer on a bike like this (or what you would, in my shoes)? That's considering everything checks out, of course.

Thanks,
Jarod

Last edited by jaroddog; 04-09-2007 at 11:06 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:14 AM
85 VN 700

First - as others have said - you aren't too big for the bike. I'm 6'3 (34 inseam, long torso) and feel like the bike was made for me. I'm a big boy too (260+/- 20 depending on season) and the bike hauls with me on it (mine's the 700 - so the 750 would be a lil more powerful) I have to keep an eye on the speedo - this bike LOVES 90.

As far as price - ask how firm the price is (the ad does say "obo"). If it's not they may offer a lower price, or ask you for an offer. I generally start at around 75% of the asking price (~2100 in this case) which of course gets rejected - but opens up the bargaining process. Definitely look up the trade in and retail value for the bike at kbb.com (kelly blue book) - it's nice to have that information available - can be a good bargaining tool.

Good luck!

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Definitely look up the trade in and retail value for the bike at kbb.com (kelly blue book) - it's nice to have that information available - can be a good bargaining tool
I did look it up, and it seems to be coming out way lower than his asking price--right around $2000. Is that similar to a dealer trade-in value?

Maybe I should let this one pass by if he won't bargain very much...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:22 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

With gas prices going up as they are, prices for used bikes can easily go above the blue book prices.

If the present owner knows nothing of the splines being lubed, or the condition of the stator, use that as your bargaining tools. Let them know stator or spline replacement can run up to $1000+ (when having a shop do it)

Have you seen the bike, or just found the ad for it so far?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement