riding 2 up - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

riding 2 up

Well, by girlfriend finally decided to get a helmet and ride with me.

So, how different does the bike handle with a passenger and do you guys have any tips/things to look out for? Do I need to change the air pressure in my tires?

I have been riding for about a year and took the MSF beginner's course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 PM

It will definitely be different ridding 2 up. Take it easy at first and get used to the extra weight. You may want to up the setting on your shocks. As far as your girlfriend is concerned just tell her lean with you and DONíT make any sudden moves. Iím sure you guys will have fun. Good luck.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 PM
"ya can't live forever"

Just watch your slow speed maneuvers, they can get a little tricky with the extra weight. Try to avoid sudden stops etc. and all will be fine. Tell her it's not necessary to do any leaning and just sit there, in the beginning and after awhile she'll get the feel of things and will naturally lean with you. Make sure ya tell her about the reach around . You'll never have a finer backrest !!!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:33 PM

MY GF rides with me all the time. The Vulcan is a great tandum bike its strong enough to pull my fat A$$ and her little cute butt up some pretty steep grades at 80 mph. She knows to look over my sholder opsit of the turn. As for stability you will want to take it easy in sharp turns but its pretty much common sence. As for air in the shocks depends on how much u weigh and how much your GF tells you she weighs (experence tells me to add 10 lbs lol)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
first of all congrads! it took me (her actually) awhile to get her to do that but now we really love riding together even though it is kinda cramped. i actually really love the new backrest. the DHL track should drop off her new HJC CL-SP helmet today

the technical preparation - set correct ammount of shock air pressure (if i understand rigth 10-15% pounds of air for total weight above ~150 pounds. someone correct me if i'm wrong). when adjusting the air pressure remember that the chambers in the shok are tiny and very small ammount of air is required. every mesurement with presure gouge yu make will loose you about 5 lbs of pressure. i usually put more then needed and go down from there but make sure not to exseed the maximum value - some say 70Lbs, others 45lbs. i play it safe and never out more then 30 in first place. even if both of you are lighter peps DO set your rear shocks to 4th position. i would not touch the tire pressure at all.

before the ride explain to your SO the correct way to mount and dismount, epmphasise that you need to be aware of her intent to mount or dismount so she doesn't try to jump of as soon as you stopped. ask her to look into the turn and lean with you (later stages you can try to let her lean even more then you for faster corners)
your first ride take it slow (kinda obvious ) while you at straight line feel how the acceleration and braking responce SIGNIFICANTLY changed. leave plenty of manuvering room as you make your first turns - during one of the rides my friend had a first time passanger that just refused to lean whatsoever cousing ugly wide turns. i will just have to brag that my wife is simply amazing passanger rider (deemed by my riding friend as well) - when we turn sometimes i forget i have a passanger at all

take it slow and you will be fine.

also i would like to remind that passanger needs all the protective gear as well, not just helmet. we got my wife pair of real motorcycle gloves during winter sale on newenough.com (10$ for 60$ msrp ones!) but it could be something cheaper, heavy-leather work gloves for example untill you get something more comfortable. riding jacket is a must too, for now my SO wears my old jacket which fits her much better then me anyways, she really wants a leather one but untill she finds her jacket this one will do. sturdy footwear (at least over the ancle hicking shoes) is also needed.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL

Last edited by tankist; 03-30-2007 at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the responses guys! It's suppose to be rainy tomorrow but then really nice on Sunday so if all goes well we might go for a short ride then and see how it goes.

How do the shocks work? I think they are on 1 right now, thats just how it was when I got the bike and have never touched them since. Do I need to add air to them (i understand that is needs to be from an hand pump so it doesn't blow the seals) or can I just adjust them by turning it to a different number? Thanks again
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFunnie13 View Post
thanks for all the responses guys! It's suppose to be rainy tomorrow but then really nice on Sunday so if all goes well we might go for a short ride then and see how it goes.

How do the shocks work? I think they are on 1 right now, thats just how it was when I got the bike and have never touched them since. Do I need to add air to them (i understand that is needs to be from an hand pump so it doesn't blow the seals) or can I just adjust them by turning it to a different number? Thanks again
i didn't touch the shock air pressure for the first 1k miles either and hated the jumpy ride. when i read about the settings ant took the mesurements
i found the pressure at ~ 40Lb !!! which probably made sence to ~300lbs previous owner but i'm barely at 160. so i removed all the air and it became significantly better.
most of our rides so far were spontaneous so most of the time there was no time to add air and such but when i can i put it up to 30Lbs before we leave. if we living right away i will just click the shoks to "4" from my usual "2". with my weight i actually supposed to be at "1" normally but i kinda like firmer ride.

as far as what the numbers mean, and plz someone correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i read about suspension adjustment and its effects it seems to me that it is compression damping setting with more damping the higher the number goes with 4 being the stiffest.

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Yeah just couple things i can think to look out for. slow speed manuvers. Make sure you have more clerance, for instance there's some poles i'll go by real close cus i know I'll fit but my passenger would have a knee hit so watch that. Also it'l be slower to stop and every time you stop helmets will clunk togeather.

Oh and make her look over the inside shoulder of a turn. If you turn right, tell her to look over that shoulder through the turn, it will make it feel more natural than if she is staring at your back, this can give motion sickness. Also it makes them instinctivly lean.

Oh and they dont get on until you are on, and you dont get off until they are off the bike.
that's about all i got.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

And be sure to tell her the exhaust pipes get HOT !!!
It's kinda easy for a new passenger to not think about the pipes and end up with a nasty burn after an otherwise great ride !

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Dan

Braking will be different. So plan accoringly. Tell her to keep her feet on the pegs at all time, even when you're stopped. Make sure you know when she is going to exit the bike. Start out slow till you get the feel of it. Riding doube, safely, takes some practice. Personally I don't like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement