Beginning to question my decision - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
AGS

Beginning to question my decision

I just recently bought a 2005 Vulcan 750 with low mileage (1355 mi).

After reading the about tech issues with the stator and driveshaft splines I'm beginning to wonder. Are all modern bikes this problematic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Benjammin'

Problematic??

I think what you have been exposed to is not the weeknesses of your particular bike, but rather the incredable knowledge of the folks who are part of this group. These guys have experience and knowledge with our bikes that, in my opinion, surpass what the designers couldn't imagine with keeping the bike operational and running long term. There are many folks who have not done much of anything besides typical preventative maintenance and got as many miles out of these bikes as the average cruiser.

Now, I am not discounting some of the weaknesses of our bikes, but I think you will find all bikes have those. We are just fortunate enough to know in advance of some of them and have detailed instructions (The Vulcan Verses) on how to be proactive correcting them so we can keep our bikes around longer than the average.

I can see where you are concerned, as I was initially with my purchase. But, if you just do a few of the simple modifications, such as R/R relocation, maintenance free battery, and spline checking for lubrication, you should be good to go for many, many miles.

Good luck, enjoy your ride, and welcome to the group.

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 AM

I too recently purchased a used 2006 with only 60 miles, and I too am concerned with the stator/splines/losing oil pump prime when changing oil issues.
I wish I would have found this site before the purchase, may or may not have influenced my decision.
So, with all of these known issues I am looking very seriously at purchasing the extended warranty and try not to worry about it...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:18 AM

checking the splines is important...especially on the newer bikes (from what I have seen)
Do not look at the VN750 as problematic just because you see things here that have gone wrong...people come here and to yahoo for answers to their problems but if you look at the numbers there are far more out there that have none.
2006 with only 60 miles....imo an extended warranty would be a good thing (providing you get a good deal on it)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Splines.... anyone who owns a VN750 should check and lube these!! As to the rest depends alot on where you are and how you ride.... MF battery is a good first upgrade, especaily if you incounter hard warm starts. If you live in the northern states with mild to warm climate and have lots of open roads then ride on!!! If you live in the southern states where it gets alot hotter and you have to deal with lots of trafffic, and find yourself going at a snail pace alot.... do the R/R relocate!

I live in oregon and do not see alot of traffic and I ride a 95 that I bought new and mine is "all" stock and have had no real problems with her!!

Like some one else said here along time ago.... people come here to find answers to problems they are having.... others come here to find things to watch out for.... and the ones you don't hear from are those that need nothing!! so by shear numbers of VN750's out there.... the problems are really quite few... as long as you know how to set up your bike for the riding that you will doing!

Hope this help.. Happy Riding and keep the rubber side down!!

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:23 AM
85 VN 700

I have an 85, all stock (that I know of, haven't had it that long) that was neglected by the PO. Charging system is good (need to actually measure charging at idle and various rpms - but it is good ;-)) I'm an oregon rider as well rain and shine so shouldn't need to do the reg/rect mod.

Check your splines (2hr job max) and keep an eye on your voltage (many reccomend installing a voltmeter), and you'll be set.

The reason you see so many "issues" with the bikes is the same that you see "issues" on a home improvement site. No one posts "my heater is working great, I have no air leaks, and my roof is awesome" - instead they post "help - my roof is leaking, what should I do".

This and the Y! group are great resources - ask a question and someone is along to help shortly, which saves a lot of time and aggrivation.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Search Goddess

I've never seen the "losing prime at oil filter change" as a problem. I mean it usually takes all of a full minute to rectify. As far as the stator.. well there are precautions you can take.. regular oil changes, avoidung long slow hot rides (like in parades) and keeping all the connections clean and dry (use dielectric grease to pack them)
I can also name a handful of people that have over 100,000 miles on these bikes. I plan on that many and more with mine. When my stator did go I replaced the cover with a TOC modified cover and if it goes again, I have maybe a 1-2 hour job to swap it out.
Chances are if we all just posted about the rides, we wouldn't have near the membership that we do.
And.. given how many of these bikes have been produced in the 21 yr run.. hearing about even 200 stator failures or spline failures is a real low percentage!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Drive less, ride more...

The folks above are right...what you see here on the forum are the small minority of owners who are having a problem--not the vast majority who aren't. And installing a voltmeter to monitor your bike's charging system is a smart idea on ANY bike.

The VN750 was produced for 20 years without any major changes. Very few other bikes can make even a similar claim (e.g., the Vmax).

For the bike to have survived that long, should tell you that it has had a healthy following, and at least a reasonable track record of reliability.

The splines are really just a rountine maintenance point anyway--they should be relubed around every 12,000 miles, or when you swap the rear tire for a new one.

The stator is arguably the weakest point of our bike--but you can address this potential issue by being prudent with your bike's maintenance and charging system. Other threads in this forum discuss how to respond to this (e.g., get a maintenance-free battery, which is really a good idea anyway).

Congratulations on your bike purchase--it offers a combination of performance & features not found anymore on other cruisers--regardless of price!!!......

Last edited by theauhawk; 03-24-2007 at 12:00 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
AGS

Thanks for the advice

I guess that is true. Probably a low percentage considering all things.

The bike came with a Deka MF battery and a Battery Tender Automatic trickle charger so I should be OK.

I haven't checked the splines yet but will probably get to it before I take any long trips.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome aboard heed the words in here and enjoy your ride.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards