Life Decision - Sell it or Keep it? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Life Decision - Sell it or Keep it?

I have been riding now for a couple years and recently my wife and I gave birth to our first son!
The past few times I have ridden I have not enjoyed it as much - I think, because I am concerned about the "what ifs" in the back of my mind.
I used to enjoy it alot, and wonder if this is just a phase I am experiencing because of the birth of my son, or if this extra sense of vulnerability is going to stick with me now.

So the questions are:

1) Will this feeling eventually pass, and I will enjoy riding again?
2) If it most likely wont pass, I would then sell the bike.
I would sell everything. I note everything I have to sell with the bike and wonder what a fair value would be to ask for it:
2002 Vulcan 750 - 14,800 miles - maintained and in very good to excellent condition. Oil changes regularly performed (every 3000 miles religously).
- New Meztler tires put on last year
- new Front brakes put on last year
- splines lubed last fall (all looked great with those)
- gear oil changed last fall
- coolant flushed and replaced last fall
- R/R relocated & voltage meter installed on dash
- westco maintenance free battery,
- LED marker and brake lights in rear turn signals for extra visibility
- National Cycle Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield with Chrome mounted hardware
- Protac Backrest
- Airhawk seat
- Slant style saddlebags
- Engine Guard
- Sears Craftsman Motorcycle jack (used only twice and like brand new)
- Dowco Heavyduty cover
- Dowco lightweight cover
- Chase Harper Aeropac II tank bag
- Harley Davidson Battery trickle charger
- 6 quarts of Kawasaki oil & 2 oil filters
- detailing stuff and few other small goodies (wash, wax, ect...)

The bike is two tone black and silver, and ready to ride! Unless noted above, the bike is entirely stock.
Just for the bike, it seems a fair price would be in the low 3000 range, but I am thinking with everything else that 3500 might be a fair price to ask - especially since the bike has so much new and needs nothing! I am in NJ.

What should I do?

Dom

Last edited by dgcam55; 03-22-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Congrats on your new family member! Question, though: How 'recent' was 'recently'?

C
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 06:55 PM

Dom,

I too am in a similar situation my girl freind is with child (MINE ok) And i told her that I would sell the bike. She told me absoulty no I am not to sell the bike as she loves riding on the back (God i do love her).

I understand the feelings of "what if " but then i look at life this way what if I am walking out my front door and I get hit on the head with a frozen block of POO droped from a plane from 15,000 feet? We all take Daily chances some of us more than neccassary. It is how we mitigate those risks that make the diffrence. Here is a question have you taken a motorcycle safty cource? If not do so I just took it and it changed how I ride and I feel safer because of it. Also ask your spouse and see how she feels about it I bet she will tell you not to sell it.

Now after all that you feel you dont have the road in your heart dont sell it drain it put a cover on it and store it because I know the road calls to you and some day you will hear it and say im comming.

Ride safe brother and congrats on the next gen biker!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

He was born end of January. I just took the bike out of winter storage a couple weeks ago.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I have taken both MSF courses. I know and understand the risk, I just dont find myself enjoying it as much - I guess because I want to stick around as long as possible to watch him grow up, and wonder if I should give it up (the bike that is). lol....
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcam55 View Post
He was born end of January. I just took the bike out of winter storage a couple weeks ago.
My suggestion would be to give yourself a little time (like at least 6 months) to adjust to your new family situation before you make any decisions about anything. Your whole world just got turned upside-down - all in a good way, but let it all sink in a little. If you find yourself being more careful about everything - making sure you wear seat belt, driving the speed limit, being more careful in the shower - then sell the bike and don't look back. If the world starts to come back into focus, and you think you might be able to ride and enjoy it, then give it another try.

Not that I disagree with Lurch at all (which is why we don't live under a flight path...), but I would imagine you and your wife are still a little shocky, tired, excited, nervous, scared, etc. Give yourself a little time to catch your breath.

C
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcam55 View Post
Yes, I have taken both MSF courses. I know and understand the risk, I just dont find myself enjoying it as much - I guess because I want to stick around as long as possible to watch him grow up, and wonder if I should give it up (the bike that is). lol....
Well here is my $.02. Yes i am 23, and single, no kids. But i realize i have my whole life ahead of me, and i live in dallas, which the average rate for an wreck is 7 yrs. I too wanna live, and that is why i ride careful. Almost always wear full gear, and always with a full face helmet. I check tires on a regular basis, and i have taken one MSF course, soon to take the other. I've realize it is a thing of minimizing your risks. Cause living a plain life in my eyes is not really living. Plus think of how cool you will be in your kids eyes, biker dad! Plus you will also have the chance to teach them how to do it correctly as opposed to the squids out there.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:33 PM

Sell it and enjoy your new family. You can always get another down the road. I did. When my kids were born I sold my 77 kz 1000 and 17 years later, when they were grown, I bought a new machine.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:48 PM

let me throw in my 2 cents. i have ridden with dgcam55 and he is a safe rider.anyone who can make a particular crazy turn going up a steep hill on the Pa. side of the delaware river with ease is my hero. lol i almost dropped it at that same turn. except for a well planted right foot thru the turn.

from what i have been reading, i believe dg has made the decision. no matter what you do it will be the right decision.

personnal safety is a factor, i can read that, but what i am truly sensing is that riding for dgcam55 is a solitary acitivity for him and he would rather spend that time with his family. BTW i get those thoughts at times too and cut my rides short when i think like that.

whatever you do, do it safe, John
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:50 PM

dgcam55, you too can do waht rubline did. pick up another vn750 in 17 years. maybe by then we will have the stator problem solved lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement