Porous rims? Idiot shop? Slight leak both tires? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Porous rims? Idiot shop? Slight leak both tires?

Nearly new ME880 front and rear.

85 VN700.

Shop I got tires installed at is cheap but their work often leaves something to be desired - I'm thinking in another 10k (or however long these last) I'll buy a tire changing setup and do redneck tire balancing.

Front and rear were at 34 when installed - I think 2 weeks ago. I'm bad about checking pressure, but something felt weird coming home (come to think of it - had felt weird but I blamed it on other issues) front was setting at 14psi and rear was at get this 2.5 psi. I'm not sure if this has been a slow leak or not - but I'm thinking it has been. Front is back at 34 - I'll check it in the morning to see if it leaked at all. Rear valvestem was a little loose - tightened it but wasn't able to fill tire since both pumps available to me wouldn't fit (idiot shop promised 90 degree stems but upon pickup "didn't have em").

Do some of the earlier rims have porousity issues? Bad stems? Any ideas?

I picked up a compressor at sears today (gave the wife some $$$ for bath and body works so she didn't notice what I was spending ;-)) so refilling the tires won't be an issue - just don't want a leak since I ride almost every day.

I really don't wanna pull the wheels off the bike - the shop I had the tires mounted at doesn't do it - wouldn't trust em anyways, and I have other plans for my spring break

I've seen ride-on mentioned and might pick it up (if only I could find it local)- anyone know if there's more than a packaging difference in the auto vs motorcycle product?

Curtis

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 05:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I would think it's probably a valve core issue. Depending on how old they are, they could be dried out and not holding air properly. That'd be the cheapest/easiest thing to try first.
I doubt it's porous rims.
And I believe the only difference in auto vs motorcycle Ride On would be the size container and label.

I also believe there are screw on 90 adaptors that you could put on when filling, then remove so you don't have an out of balance issue.
Hope ya get it figured out.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Search Goddess

I just recently had to take a wheel back to my tire guy. The sidecar tire had developed a leak and even ride-on wouldn;t seal it. Did the soapy water test and I had bubbling around the rim. (Sidecar wheel is off an 85 VN750)
Took it back and they made it right..
Cause of the leak?
They hadn't cleaned and checked the rim throughly. After taking the tire off, cleaning the rim with a brass brush and CHECKING it by running a towel along the rim (if it catches there's a bur or bit of residue) the tire is fine now.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

They did replace the valve stems... doesn't guarantee they are good by any means - but who knows...

Now that ya mention it dianna, it might be more likely that it's the rim leak thing (I'll do the soapy water test this morning) I brought the wheels in dirty and they came home dirty - so I doubt they put too much effort into making sure they were clean inside....

Curtis

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

We'll see if I found the only source of a leak - or one source of a leak...

I needed to wash the bike anyways, so I went after the wheels first. A little soap around the valve stem and whaddaya know - bubbles. Looks like the guy forgot to tighten down the bolts securing the valve stem - they were a little tighter than my "hand right" (and my hand's aren't as strong as a mechanics).

Didn't notice any more bubbles around the rim, etc.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd be in there having the "come to Jesus" talk with the owner! You could have been killed if that rear had lost it's bead. I don't know if you realize how close you were to pushing up daisies with 2.5 lbs of air in the rear. I'm thankful you didn't wreck the bike, but I'd be one pissed off hornet when I go back in to let them know about it!

One of the guys I used to work with had new tires put on his truck during lunch one day and he left the shop and got on the highway, was just getting up to speed and his front end did a terrible wobble and his front left wheel went shooting down the road as he skidded on the hub/brake rotor and finally to a stop in the ditch. Of course, he called the shop and they came racing to help him. Of course they ended up replacing his whole front left side of his suspension basically but it could have been much worse, which he was sure the owner understood within minutes of his wrecker ride back to the shop!

Tire shops usually have the lowest educated human in the building doing tire changes. Don't know about cycle shops, since usually it's the regular technician who does all the work.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement