newbie has a charging problem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

newbie has a charging problem

Hey, i just picked up a 93 VN750 for a song and drove it home on battery power! nice smooth ride,engine sounds good, runs clean, rear drum worthless, and the big problem is the charging system - which i read here is a huge pain in the rear if its the stator - but im hoping its just a loose wire - which im going to go through and check all of them tomorrow.

otherwise I may join the ranks of the many and try and replace it myself---Ive sen all the guides here and trying to psych myself up to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Good luck, Read in the verses about how to test the electrical system.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 05:23 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

The rear brake might just need adjusted.
How many miles are on the bike?

There's pleny of info here on checking the stator. Give a shout if ya need any help.

One last question for now, is this your first bike?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

brake adjusted

I read in the tiny little owners manual that came with- and I did have quite a bit of adjustment left in the rear brake, tightened it about 10 turns and that seems to have done the trick--

bike has 22900 miles.

its seems a strange design that it has dual disks in the front and a drum in the back, doesn't that imbalance the braking?

I also found that the battery terminal connections were not very tight, but that may have just been because the PO had been taking them on and off a lot trying to find the problem. I checked all the other connectins, cleaned and put back. they all looked fine though-- unfortunately no obvious culprit.

where should I stick my voltmeter to test the volts from the charging system and not from the battery? the bike runs great now, but the PO said that it wont last, it will slowly start to die-

I have had a few bikes before, but this is the first "nice" one that I really want to keep up with. I have had a suzuki gs 450(while i was in hawaii), a yamaha xs400 special and a suzuki 650 ( i forget the designation) but it was a japan only bike i had when i was in Japan - i just bought, rode it, and sold it when i left. I actually still have the xs400, but its in oregon after I payed 100 bucks, fixed it up and got it running - i tried to register it and found out it had been stolen 15 years before in florida.

crap.

so i rode it around in the mountains some, and now it sits--

-j
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 12:26 AM
Now what

Before you can test anything you have to have a known good battery. Have a battery shop test the battery you have. If it needs replacing get a maintenance free AGM type battery. You can download a fault finding chart here, http://tinyurl.com/c2zou . You'll need a good digital VOM and either alligator clips for the leads or a helper. There are a couple of reasons for the battery to not charge besides a dead stator. Hopefully you'll find an easy fix. Good luck.

'04 750A- and loving it!
VROC 13864
Using a Purlator One PL14610
"Sixth gear? I don't need no stinkin sixth gear!"
If someone throws you under the bus-remember to tuck and roll
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the good advice

yeah, ill work it through and see:

My wife actually likes it, and now she wants one -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of Resize of Rotation of KIF_0580.jpg