Ever received Warranty svc for Coffee grinder sound? Not enough grease on splines? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

Thumbs down Ever received Warranty svc for Coffee grinder sound? Not enough grease on splines?

I'm in the process of trying to get Warranty svc, the dealer said no to
my slipping clutch (coffee grinder sound). Said NO to probably not enough grease on splines and should be checked. Said NO to blue smoke for first about 10 minutes of ride. Have 900 miles on Lena now. Dealer didn't even bother to call Kawasaki Motors Corp!

Kawasaki Motors USA will only discuss Warranty issues through the mail, that's my next step, then if that doesn't work I will be taking Kawasaki
Motors USA to small claims court. Old retirees like myself have nothing else to do except keep businesses and corporations honest.

I don't think Kawasaki Motors wants to send a representative (attorney) way out here to the backwoods to defend their Warranty issues in court.

Lena's Warranty runs out on July 4th, 07, and will probably get the full 4 year
Exteded Warranty.

`
"When the sun's comin' up,
I got cakes on the griddle.
Life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle,
Thank God I'm a Country Boy!"

`
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM

Well I can tell you for sure the dealer is not going to take off your rear wheel just to check the grease on an assumption. As far as the smoke? could be a rich carb. What does he say about the noise in the clutch?, does he acknowledge the sound? Take it somewhere else. But forget about that or any dealer checking for grease. Its not going to happen. Good luck with taking them to court.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Gnarly Jokester

Thumbs down Lack of grease on spline, etc

I believe that someone here posted that their dealer did regrease their splines as part of Warranaty svc because it is widely known that vn750'
of certain years did not receive anywhere near enough grease on the splines.

My dealer acknowledge that many Kawasaki's don't have enough grease on their splines, also acknowledged that he heard the coffee grinder sound (clutch slipping) but said it was minimal, said the smoke was from condensation burning off..(riders behind me can see the blue smoke)

The clutch slipping is a safety concern and Kawasaki should immediately take care of the problem, I read on the net that KAW has an upgrade to the clutch that solves the problem, dealer says he has never heard about it.

`

`

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:05 PM

Angry

Boy thats just not right.Your dealer should be listening to your concerns its the right thing to do.Maybe run an ad in your local rag stating that the kawasaki dealer doesnt like to honor factory warrenties.You think that his buisness will pick up..............
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Gnarly Jokester

Good idea Krawdad, but I think I will take them to court first.

`

`
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
San Diego Vulcan Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsseman View Post
I believe that someone here posted that their dealer did regrease their splines as part of Warranaty svc because it is widely known that vn750'
of certain years did not receive anywhere near enough grease on the splines.

My dealer acknowledge that many Kawasaki's don't have enough grease on their splines, also acknowledged that he heard the coffee grinder sound (clutch slipping) but said it was minimal, said the smoke was from condensation burning off..(riders behind me can see the blue smoke)

The clutch slipping is a safety concern and Kawasaki should immediately take care of the problem, I read on the net that KAW has an upgrade to the clutch that solves the problem, dealer says he has never heard about it.
Just wondering if anyone has any info on what years were affected by the spline lube issue or is it pretty much across the board?

86' Vulcan, Stock & Lovin it!
Stator, R/R, splines lubed, ACCT's repl. at 25,200
Just turned 29,000 mi.

95' Vulcan, all stock, 9,700 mi.

John Spangler
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

In the last year here and the yahoo group, I've kind of watched this issue pretty close, as I'm one of the unlucky ones that had no lube. From what I've seen it's more common for 2001 and newer, even on some 2006's, but apparently it's been found on a few older models. Of course, over time, the lube needs to be done no matter how it started out new, so it's a must to always check the shape of them and keep em lubed up through out the life of the bike. I'm getting ready to put on new tires and will be pulling my final drive to check them again. I'd say, it's easy enough to do, that when it's tire time, it should be time to check the splines.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 PM
San Diego Vulcan Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
In the last year here and the yahoo group, I've kind of watched this issue pretty close, as I'm one of the unlucky ones that had no lube. From what I've seen it's more common for 2001 and newer, even on some 2006's, but apparently it's been found on a few older models. Of course, over time, the lube needs to be done no matter how it started out new, so it's a must to always check the shape of them and keep em lubed up through out the life of the bike. I'm getting ready to put on new tires and will be pulling my final drive to check them again. I'd say, it's easy enough to do, that when it's tire time, it should be time to check the splines.
Thanks for the info. I have an '86 with a little over 21K. I've put about 300 mi. on since buying. I've not been able to get much history from the previous owner but, after running some Seafoam through it, it performs as close to perfect as one could ask for. What a great bike! I sure want to do the right things to keep it that way. However, I do put some stock in the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I guess what I'm wondering is: Are there any known symptoms that would possibly give a timely enough alert that "it's time to lube the splines" or is any symptom too late? If I was more of a wrench (with the proper tools), I'd do it immediately but I'm sure I'll be having to pay someone to do it and it probably won't be cheap. If I was a rich guy, I'd do it every oil change but.....

86' Vulcan, Stock & Lovin it!
Stator, R/R, splines lubed, ACCT's repl. at 25,200
Just turned 29,000 mi.

95' Vulcan, all stock, 9,700 mi.

John Spangler
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:34 PM

Unfortunately there's no symptom of coming failure, just the sound like loose lug nuts inside a hubcap when suddenly your bike just loses all forward push, but the engine still revs while in gear, when it actually fails. It won't slip until it can slip and once it can slip, it does nothing but slip. Maybe someone in your area is a member here and can help you check it out. I'd sure do it if you were near me.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Actually, it's the lack of lube that starts grinding metal to metal, heating up and chewing up the teeth of both the splines on the final drive and the coupling on the drive shaft. If there's not an adequate amount of moly on them, it will start to wear out. So, if it's dry or the wrong lube was used and has vaporized or hardened, dried out etc., every time you ride you will be doing a bit more damage.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement