Which windshield is better or how to pick a winshield? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Which windshield is better or how to pick a winshield?

I have read some of the posts about windshields but am still now sure which is the better choice so I'm asking for more opinions. I have read that some of you ride with the V-Force, some the National Cycle Plexifairing 3 or the National Cycle Plexistar 2. What about the National Cycle Low Boy Heavy Duty? I want something to keep the wind off my chest and head but I don't want to have to look through a windshield. I'm afraid that is what would/does happen with a Plexi... windshield. I'm also a bit concerned about even putting a windshield on the bike. A close friend of mine said his father put one on his bike (a handlebar mounted windshield) and one gusty day he lost control of the bike because of the windshield. Thoughts, suggestions, comments from those of you with experience (windshield experience) would be greatly appreciated. Handlebar mounted, fork mounted, fairing or simple windscreen, what say you?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Scott -

Everyone has their own reasons why the do or do not want a shield. It depends on the kind of riding you do and the climate that you do it it.

For me, here in Florida, the V-Force is perfect. It deflects a good portion of the wind off of my chest, protects me from flying debris, and I look right over it with no trouble. It is small enough to not detract from the looks/lines of the bike, or be a drag at higher speeds on the highway.

If I were in a northern climate (hint, hint) I might choose to use one type in the warmer weather and another in the cold.

Do your homework here and on the Yahoo group, there's lots of good information around.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
First how tall are you? Second do you want it to cover your hands or not?
I had a smaller sheld on my bike, got a good deal on a Plex 3 and took it.
The small one worked for mid summer but the larger one lets me ride in the cold, keeps my hands warm.
You can position the smaller shelds so you can look over them or cut them down like I did.
I hope that helps.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM

I have the National Cycle Low Boy Heavy Duty. I am 5'10" with a Corbin seat and can see just over the top of the windshield. It works just fine for me and does not look too big for the bike. Like someone said it depends on what you want/need the windshield for. In my case, I needed something to stop that blast of wind in my chest and the feeling of being blown off the bike when on the freeway. It is also just large enough to protect me from all the road derbis. I don't do a great deal of long range riding so it works great for me. I found the cheapest price at http://www.mawonline.com.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Scott...

First of all, let me say, "Congratulations!!!" on your '06 750.

A most excellent choice for your first bike there!!!....

If you truly want something to keep wind off of your head and chest, but don't like the idea of looking thru a windshield, then the obvious choice for you is the "V-force" windshield. The "V-force" won't create a problem on super-windy days, either.....due to its loooooowww profile.

Personally, I ride with the "Plexistar 2" because I like the added protection it offers from loose gravel strikes, and from insects. It also cuts down better on the wind chill factor.

But I don't mind looking thru a windshield (at times) to pick up these benefits.

Good luck with your new bike!!!....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:01 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I have the Plexi-3. I really like it, like Chad said, in the colder months. So far when it's warmer, I don't have it on unless I'm going on a long ride. Maybe I'll get something smaller/shorter this year?

As far as the wind and a windshield causing you to lose control, sure, I've felt a big gust move me around a little bit, but I don't recall ever feeling like I'm going to lose control.

Putting a shield on your bike is kind of like pulling a trailer with your car/truck. The ride will be different than without it, no doubt.
But never forget it's there, and be prepared for whatever may happen and you should be fine.

Just a suggestion, but if you really want a shield and you're not at all sure what kind you want, start with a smaller one and see how you like that. Mostly because it's cheaper, and if you don't like it, you wont be out too much $$ and you could still probably sell it quite easily.

Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

This is exactly what I'm looking for. People who have been there, done that and are willing to share and help someone out. Thank you!

I live in NH and I do ride in cool/cold weather. I'm 6' 1" tall and still have the stock seat (not sure if that matters). I really don't care if my hands are covered or not but that opinion could change over time. I just want to keep my head and upper torso from getting pushed around cause it takes it's toll on long rides. I don't have alot of money to experiment with a number of shields. I think I'll try the low boy (thanks for the website) because the thought of looking through a windshield doesn't appeal to me at all. Just as I thought, if you are prepared for the change in handling then windy days and a passing semi shouldn't cause a loss of control.

Appreciate the insight/input!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Windshield

I also have a 2006 VN750 & put about 800 miles on it since October. Most of the miles were in 25--35 degree weather. I put on a tinted National Cycle "Street Shield EX" & I love it. The "EX" version is slightly taller & a bit wider than the std. Street Shield. I am 6'3" tall & just look over the top by a tad. A shorter rider might look through the top portion depending on how it is mounted. I also puchased the version with the "Quik Set" mounting hardware. It looks great on the bike & gives me the protection that I wanted without over powering the looks.

I bought it from JC Whitney while on a trip to that area.

It does not give any hand protection but I was wearing snowmobile gloves & suit. I also have installed a "Charge Guard" with Ice alert, & it flashed a ice warning several times as I was riding. There was black ice on the road that I had to deal with several times so you can see the weather that I was riding in.

Yes, I'm nuts but being from Michigan this is normal

Hope this helps.....

Tcat

2006 VN750
Splines lubed With TSMOLY 70
R&R Relocated
Marbled (Cat's eyes no less)
Digital Volt, Amp, Temp gauge (Kisan)
Pipes Drilled
Carb Adj. at 3 3/4
Polaris AGM Battery (190 CCA)
Kaw rear rack
Kaw front engine guard
National Cycle Street Shield EX W/S
Mobile 1 MX4T 10W40 oil (Now labled 4T Racing)
Purolator PL14610 oil filter (Painted)
Iridium Spark Plugs
Pulsating Brake Light (Kisan)

My Motto: Don't get mad, just get even. Trust me, I will get even!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement