Bike left me stranded this weekend - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Bike left me stranded this weekend

Took my 01 750 out for first real ride this weekend. 60 miles each way, have done it multiple time on my Rebel 250 so I was looking forward to the difference in power. On the way thereeverything seemed good until I hit traffic. When I came to a stop the bike stalled. Started right back up, shoulda took it back home but what the heck Im half way there already. Get to my friends house, but when I got to stoplights I found bike idling around 3000 rpms and adjusted to bring it down. Was there for a couple hours. Started bike to leave, ran for about 5 min then slowly sputtered and stalled. Started back up and adjusted idle again this time to raise it. First time I went to leave I stood bike up and rpms went up, sat it back on side stand and rpms went back down. Played with idle screw again. Go to leave rpms stayed when I stood bike up. Get about half a mile for friends house and I notice something is off. I cant describe it, was going about 55 but something just felt wierd. I decided to pull over, as I did when I got to about 5 mph bike stalled out again. Tried to start but could not keep it running more than a couple seconds, eventually the battery went dead. Im hoping to use this as an excuse to get a maintainence free gel battery. Do you think that is my problem or where else should I look? BTW the bike hadnt been ridden or started in a week and I forgot to hook charger up before I went out of town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I would look at the throtle cabe first, by moving the bike and the throttle moved you might have a cabel sticking.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I agree with Chad. That'd be a good starting place.

And a low battery could also contibute. Give it a good charge as well and let us know what ya find out.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
simmilar happened with me when my stator died.... yours just may have a small short, which is reducing its output... i would love to say its something else, but a quick check once its running with an AC volt meter on the stator plug (check the yellow wires, disconnected from the r/r) to insure you are getting voltage.... idle should be 10-12 vac, and 5k rpms should show >70-80 vac. i do hope i am wrong for your sake, but the traffic is my warning

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

got her charged today. started and let her warm up. then shut off for about 10 min. started her back up and after 5 mins of running I had antifreeze all over my garage floor. checked and found the fan not spinning just a hum. moved it with a screw driver and started spinning again. dont know if this is cause of stranding the other night but I know this isnt good. guess ill be looking new fan motor. how hard is it to replace these? is it just the motor or does the whole radiator assembly have to be done? other than that she ran fine. I do still get a backfire at idle but ive never played with the air mix screw so it might be ok with adjustment.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Where did the antofreeze come from, did the fan cut the radiator?
It may have if the berring on the motor came loose. Yes you can chenge the fan only.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

antifreeze was coming from drain tube at bottom of bike. I figured it dumps antifreeze to relieve pressure.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn6609 View Post
got her charged today. started and let her warm up. then shut off for about 10 min. started her back up and after 5 mins of running I had antifreeze all over my garage floor. checked and found the fan not spinning just a hum. moved it with a screw driver and started spinning again. dont know if this is cause of stranding the other night but I know this isnt good. guess ill be looking new fan motor. how hard is it to replace these? is it just the motor or does the whole radiator assembly have to be done? other than that she ran fine. I do still get a backfire at idle but ive never played with the air mix screw so it might be ok with adjustment.
You can usually find a fan on eBay for next to nothing, but I think I'd suspect the relay or the thermostat. Folks here can walk you through testing those if you need to.

However, I have to agree with Hizzo, that the fact that the battery didn't seem to be holding the charge might have to do with your stator and/or your voltage regulator - the stalling in traffic, difficult restarting, restarting only after sitting awhile...sounds highly suspicious in that regard (and, sadly, familiar).

If you check your battery with a voltmeter, and if I'm remembering correctly, I think it should measure 14 v after a full charge, and somewhere around 12.5 when the bike's running. If your charging system is working okay, then if you run the bike, stop it, and restart, you should still get about a 14 volt reading. If it's well under this, then the battery isn't getting recharged properly. We can also walk you through testing the leads on your stator and regulator if you need to.

C
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

might not be the fan motor after all. was feeling around and the blade feels like it came loose causeing it to sit against the radiator. will pull apart next chance i get. curious question for ya. at the choke is it off when it is all the way down of when it is up near the hazard button? bike tends to die when it is not as close to all the way down.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn6609 View Post
might not be the fan motor after all. was feeling around and the blade feels like it came loose causeing it to sit against the radiator. will pull apart next chance i get. curious question for ya. at the choke is it off when it is all the way down of when it is up near the hazard button? bike tends to die when it is not as close to all the way down.
Choke is on towards the rider, off when pushed away.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement