What am I missing? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Question What am I missing?

The Zen Mistress got a little anxious, and I decided to put the exhaust on tonight, and start up Orleans. Pulled the battery off of my running bike, and used that - 'cause when I read the instructions on the new MF Die-Hard, they said I'd have to wait at least an hour....

Wouldn't have mattered. I got lights, I got "zee-ow zee-ow zee-ow" when I hit the starter button, but the engine wouldn't turn over. Almost did once, but then I could smell that I'd flooded the carbs and so decided to quit for the evening.

I checked that all the wires that I could see - which, given that Orleans is pretty naked at the moment means I checked all my wires; plugs appear tight and the wires good; all air hoses nicely clamped and where they were supposed to be; known good battery (took it off Orleans and put it back on the '92, which cranked right up)... what else do I need to check? If I'm getting fuel flow, then I've got a vacuum, right?

"Oooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?" said the Zen Mistress.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hmm, do you know you're getting spark at the plugs?

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Cindy -

Check coil leads, not plug wires out of them, check your pickup coil connection, then check for spark at the plugs.

Wasn't this the bike with the carb problem around the starter plungers?

Sure its flooding and not having another problem to do with the starter plungers?
You said it didn't even turn over yet somehow may have flodded it? Doesn't make sense.

Let us know.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750 View Post
Cindy -

Check coil leads, not plug wires out of them, check your pickup coil connection, then check for spark at the plugs.

Wasn't this the bike with the carb problem around the starter plungers?

Sure its flooding and not having another problem to do with the starter plungers?
You said it didn't even turn over yet somehow may have flodded it? Doesn't make sense.

Let us know.

Jon
I'll go back and check all of the above - but by "check," you mean visual inspection, right? Nothing I can do with my multimeter to check?

This bike had the ACCT problem when I bought it; and an oil leak around the head gasket on the front cyl. The issue with the starter plungers was in my re-assembly and trying to get the rod back on. I triple-checked that the rod was moving the starter plungers okay before I put the carbs back on'; and when I closed the choke tonight, the plungers moved smoothly .

I guess the sound it was making was when an engine's trying to start, but you don't get the "kick" - "zee-ow zee-ow zee-ow", ya know? Keeps trying, and you realize you're wearing down your battery and not getting anywhere. And I'm ascertaining flooding by the fact that after several attempts, I smelled gasoline.

Hyper, remind me how to check for spark at the plugs? I had a broken lawnmower over the summer and my neighbor kept "trying to check for spark at the plug," but we never got anything so I wasn't sure he was doing it right. And now I've forgotten entirely what he was doing.

C
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:03 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Well, there are a couple of ways to check for spark.
One is to remove one plug at a time, connect it to the plug wire, let it ground against the engine (might need to hold it in place with a piece of tape) and hit the start button. You should see spark at the electrode. Put that plug back in the try another, until you've done them all.
(don't hold onto the plug wire with your hand while doing this)

There are also in line spark indicators which you attach between the plug & plug wire and they have a light which indicates spark. (like a circuit tester light). Not sure if they'd work with the deeper plug wells we have though.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:14 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Did it sound like the motor was spinning fast and didn't want to catch. If so that is a sign of being out of time. Hope that is not the case.
If the motor was not turning over you can't have vacume and you might have a bad petcock valve.
Hope this helps.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:29 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Sounds to me like it was turning over, just not firing.
My guess is it's not getting spark for some reason.

Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:39 AM

Just pull the plug wire and insert a #2 phillips(in wire), hold the metal part(screwdriver) close to ground (any metal on the engine) and crank, Blue or white spark equals good spark , yellow or no spark is a problem and requires further trouble shooting. ? If blue or white and at least 1/4" long means either fouled plugs or possible timeing problem.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Guys. I'll do a visual check on the pickup coils this a.m, and then check the plugs. (I think I'll use the tape idea, however - ya know, me, electricity.... not a good combo).

The engine wasn't turning over fast - it was as if I were on my regular, running bike, but the engine just wouldn't catch. So I guess the timing isn't the issue. Say again, though, I can't have vacuum if...? (I can work out some of the possibilities - if I have no fuel in the float bowls, no vacuum; if I have no fuel in the lines, really no vacuum; and if I have no vacuum, then the culprit lies anywhere between the air filter boxes and the vacuum hookups to the carbs...are the odds higher in any particular region?).

Thanks!!!

C
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Getting there!!

Alright -the first culprit appears to have been a spark plug that wasn't screwed in tightly enough. I fixed that one and then checked the others, just to be sure. Turned the key, and it did turn over for a moment - "sputt, sputt, sputt"...."pshew." Did that twice, and then wouldn't catch. Drained the float bowls - both of 'em had fuel in 'em, so there is gasoline going to the carbs (at least when using the choke). All the linkages from the pickup coils look good.

Sooooooo, it did turn over but couldn't hold on. Possible vacuum problem sustaining fuel to the carbs? Anybody?

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement