spark plug wires - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

spark plug wires

I'm looking for a good deal on spark plug wires for my 2006 750vn.. no luck on ebay any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 PM

I use automotive wires on mine....any speedshop has raw wire in many colors too....just change the ends....

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

I thought that may work...thanks for the confirmation...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Reminds me....I gotta switch from blue to red now.....

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I'm looking for a good deal on spark plug wires for my 2006 750vn.. no luck on ebay any suggestions?
We make our own...very simple & easy to do.
Gave all which I have...more than you asked for, but...........

Copy & Pasted Individual posts from the verses
All 750 Spark Plugs = 12 mm threads – use 16mm thin wall socket – Book Spec: torque to 13” lbs
Torqueing, depending on if you use the suggested "Anti-Seize" your value may vary. I religiously do and go with 12 ft-lbs (144 in-lbs). Installing plug dry and torqueing, I'd probably go with a slightly lesser torque (10 ft-lbs ? ) (Steel Plug threads –torqued into Aluminum Heads).
2012 Prices:
Plug Wires: Dennis Kirk has 7mm wire for $2.99 in a 72" length the part # is 20- 21.
Ad two NGK end caps part # 20-306 $3.30 and two end caps part # 20- 789 $2.40 each.
(approx.. 60”) Spark Plug Wire Replacement:
2 x 11.5" long
1 x 14.5" long
1 x 20.0" long

You should consider buying NGK plug ends if you haven't already. They are great looking and my directions are based on using them.
Dennis Kirk: [email protected] or 1-800-328-9280
2 - Part# 20306 – NGK Spark Plug Cap XD05F $3.30 a piece.
2 - Part# 20789 - NGK Spark Plug Cap LD05FP $4.80 a piece.
******** All NGK caps are made for Stock 7 mm wire. *********
Make sure you use copper core wire and not carbon core. 7mm is stock size, you can use 8mm but is
harder to install with little to no gain.
2- LD05FP and 2- XD05F are what NGK suggest to use on our VN750 bikes. :
************************************************** ********************************
The DPR7IX-9 advantage: The advantage is (they claim) "Longer life, lower fuel consumption, smoother running, Improved ignition efficiency-giving enhanced power and acceleration" The part that matters really is the "improved ignition efficiency" as iridium can "spark hotter" at a lower voltage. Given our feeble electrical system, anything that uses less power is good. The part number is 7803 at Advanced Auto. The plug is the DPR7EIX-9.
Worn plugs cause hard starting My spark plugs had about 13,000 miles on them and I was beginning to experience multiple tries to get the engine started, hot or cold. Figured it was time for new plugs. On Mike O's recommendation I installed new iridium spark plugs, anti-seize on the threads (steel plug into Aluminum cylinder head), and torqued to 144 inch lbs (12 ft pounds). Now starts first time every time, hot or cold. Barely have to touch the start button. Thanks Mike, they really work. NGK DPR7EIX-9. About $10.00 each, (or less) but I think they will be worth it. The bike will probably fall apart before I have to change them again. Dennis in Maryland.

I had the same experience with these last year, Dennis. Now I just have to barely breathe on the start button and she starts right up. I figured they're well worth the slight extra cost. A lot of us spend way more than that on cosmetic upgrades and shiny chrome bits. I bought mine at Shade Tree for about $8 ea. They should last longer, and I since I also keep detailed track of my gas mileage all the time, I also noticed an average increase of about 2 MPG after installing them. See if you notice the same thing.... -Tim S.
From what you're typing here, it seems like it's the battery. The best possible thing you can do for your motorcycle's starting issues is to get an AGM maintenance free battery for it and Iridium spark plugs.
I bought my 1988 VN750 in May 2010 and rode the whole season with regular plugs and had no ignition problem whatsoever. But... after installing these iridiums 3 months ago and having finally test ridden her these past two days (N.Y. weather permitted) Wow!!! What a difference! The way she sounds; the way she accelerates; I'm lost for words to express this upgrade.

Put in some NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs…..
Time and time again I read here of it's recommendation in relation to ignition problems (which I had none). I only bought them because I replaced my coils/wires/caps to NGK's and had to fix retainer leak. I had no idea of the quality it gives to riding. She runs smoother (my tach housing doesn't vibrate anymore, lol); power and acceleration like I've never known! (passing/switching lanes on the highway with confidence); and the sound?! It's hard to believe this is my bike.
These options are initially more expensive than the regular acid batteries and cheap spark plugs, but they make a world of difference, and they will last you a LOT longer than the cheaper parts, so in the long run they are actually cheaper.
Use “Seafoam” every 2 – 4 tanks of fuel, and for winter storage.
That’s probably all you will need for reliable starts.
These three change outs cure most starting problems.
It's worth every cent I spent! Ride safe.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 06-07-2013 at 06:57 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 09:18 AM

What did you do with the o ring that goes into the coil? Mine seems to be firmly attached.

'08 Road King Classic
'86 VN750:
Ear Shave, K&N Filters, Mean Streak Seat, AGM battery, Blue Wire Mod, Pick-up Coil Mod, Timing Advance Mod, NGK Iridium Plugs and Wire, LEDs, Bed Liner Paint Job, Over-sized Tires, New Brakes, New Fork Seals, Progressive Springs, Kick Stand Mod, Highway Pegs, 40/140 No Shims, Vance & Hines Exhaust, New Grips, Extra Wide Emgo Handle Bars
John 8:44, REV 2:9, REV 3:9 - If you were kicked out of 109 bars, would you think the problem was you, or the 109 bars?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Garage
I bought a set of these and they work great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Vu...AAAOSwxu5ZKn4Q

Do a search for "vn750 spark plug wires". They have a few different colors.

'89 VN750 Bought stock 4/12/18 @ 17805.9 miles $800. Wrecked once. 27454.5+ miles

Completed modifications:
Removed mufflers, straight pipes out of GB. 110/90 Front Tire. Pick-up coil mod. Shindengen MOSFET FH020AA r/r. USB Outlet + Voltmeter. Repainted Metallic Blue w/ new tank bages. Ear Shave (wo/ coasters) 40/140 NO shims 45MPG. MCCT conversion.

Planned modifications:
Custom LED turn signals. Windshield. Highway Pegs. (Possible) ignition adv. Tuxedo Mod. Ignition coil mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement