Oil Pressure Light is on .. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Smile Oil Pressure Light is on ..

The other day I rode my 750 on my grass lawn, made too sharp a right turn and the sandy Florida soil gave way causing the bike to fall to the right. I picked up the bike and re-started the engine. The oil pressure light came on and would not turn off. I shut the engine off for fear of causing excess wear with no oil pressure. I took it to the dealer, they started it up and let it run at 1500 RPM for a few minutes, then the oil pressure light went out. The dealer said that when the bike went down the oil flowed to one side and caused an air bubble to form in the oil pressure line going to the sending unit. This caused the oil pressure sending unit to malfunction. The oil light was on but the engine was still getting oil pressure. It was not registering because of the air bubble. When the engine ran a while it finally caused the air bubble in the line to dissapate and the oil light went out. At first I was afraid I had an oil pump problem. Anyone out there have this same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
I've found that problem when i first my bike from when i bought it. It came on for a moment, so i pulled to the nearest gas station. I then let it sit to make sure there was oil in the sight glass. Then i started it, to make sure the pump was pulling it. as she was running, the light went away. I've always put on the high side the right amount of oil, and havent had it sence.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 02:47 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

I've had mine stay on a little longer than expected after a filter change, and like the shop did, I let it run a bit (don't remember the rpm range, but more than at idle) and it cleared up shortly after.

I'd say you're good to go, and, better safe than sorry.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
I've had mine stay on a little longer than expected after a filter change, and like the shop did, I let it run a bit (don't remember the rpm range, but more than at idle) and it cleared up shortly after.

I'd say you're good to go, and, better safe than sorry.
Until the oil filter fills with oil, the air in it does not compress so the light will stay on for a few seconds while the air is displaced by the oil. Like you said, perfectly normal.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
2FAS4U

I had my oil light come on twice while riding in the rain. I figured the water somehow grounded the switch. I insulated the connection with some liquid electrical tape. It was enough to scare me the 1st time. I have installed an oil pressure gauge to ease my mind. I used a 2" Autometer electrical gauge in a cup and a tee at the switch. I have it strapped to my speedo, untill I can make a bracket.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Red face

Yeah I dropped mine on my lawn once.Gave it a little to much gas I went right down.I had the oil light stay on for a while.I was concerned.But I let it idle a few minutes and the light went out WHEW.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement