What type of paint for do it yourself - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
What type of paint for do it yourself

OK, so i got in my new rear fender. Its a fiberglass white. i know i need to wash it with soap and sand it. do i need to bondo it? there is a small flaw in the fiberglass. should i just fill it before i sand it? also what would be a good recomendation for the inside of the fender? i was thinking a rino line type material. Since i will be doing the fender i figured might as well look at doing the tank and front fender. maybe frame too. This will be a cheap job, but by cheap i mean there wont be pinstriping and so on. but i do want a nice gloss coat. I am looking along the lines of a slightly ligher color then royal blue. but i want a nice rich deep blue. I am looking at 150-300 bucks. what brand of paint is recomended?

Would this be something i can do, or better off left to a professional shop like Macco. I plan to do all prep work if i get it professionally done.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

Send a message via MSN to cmanningjr
For Spray Paint that turns out super nice look at Duplicolor. If you are going to use a gun I'd go with House of Color.

'92 Vn750

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm planning to repaint Orleans, and someone at the local auto parts shop also recommended House of Color paint for motorcycles . I think they have options outside of "Dodge Red" or "Chevy Blue", so there's some room for creativity.

C

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

http://www.tcpglobal.com/hokpaint/chips.asp

Yep, They've got a color or two...

'92 Vn750

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
humm never used a gun before.... all i need is a compressor and the spray gun and follow paint directions right?

i like the polyurithane finishes, but wow. that is some $$$. but then again i dunno how much i would need. humm gives me some thinking guys thanks....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

Last edited by Hizzo3; 12-20-2006 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

You'd be better off using Duplicolor in cans. You can get it from Autozone,NAPA,O'Rileys and Advanced Auto that I know of. They make some pretty cool colors and it's easy to use. I painted a tank with their Mirage pait for a friend of mine and it turned out pretty slick. The trick is in the prep work. Keep it CLEAN......

Check it out here------>http://www.duplicolor.com/

'92 Vn750

Last edited by cmanningjr; 12-20-2006 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added Link
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:35 PM

Just make sure if you use a gun you have a dryer/seperator on it or you may end up with "fish eyes" in the paint.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Has anyone tried the dupicolor chrome. It looks like an easy way to dress up the radiator and switch boxes if it works good
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 PM

Used to do alot of rattlecan spraypaint work in college when I did welding and metal sculpture. Chrome paint, ick... Sorry, metallic paints (spray can kind) never seem to stick good, no matter what prep work you do.. and they never flash or cure properly and are easily marred. I've sprayed them with clearcoat, but that just dulls the metallic finish so silver or chrome ends up being gray, and gold, well, it looks like sheezle.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 PM

Hizzo the first most important step is making sure the surface you are going to apply the paint to is as flawless as possible then CLEAN!!!! The small flaw you mention can be filled in with a light filler then sand lightly...use a light colored spray paint and spray over the fixed area to see if the flaw is gone...(I learned that from someone that did ALOT of painting at a former job I had) then resand, clean,prime and paint. I would go with house of color but remember cost will add up, do you have a compressor and gun? you could pick up a cheap gun and if your not going to do alot of painting then buy a small one. you could do a good job with spray paint but a gun will always come out better, if you send it out price the body shops b4 settling on maaco. and good luck...and as Woody said use a dryer/seperator and also assemble a makeshift spray booth with plastic to keep dust down, and wet the floor after sweeping.....you wouldn't believe the dust your feet will stir up til after its all dried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement