I'm glad you all like the pics. I've been taking heaps of 'em over the course of the rebuild.
They've been really handy when it comes to putting things back together.
Originally Posted by Crobins365
That's a nice series of pics - you've done an amazing amount of work! A couple of questions:
1. Did you clean up your brake calipers from that original condition or just replace 'em?
2. Ditto on the rotors...
3. NICE paint job (great color) - your work? Well done!
Thanks for posting these. It's nice to see real progress - gives hope to those of us who have similiar machines in our garages....
To answer your questions...
1. I cleaned the calipers up and, underneath all the brake dust, they weren't to bad. I was planning on replacing them with different calipers, but I decided it was too much work at the moment.
The calipers weren't releasing properly when I reinstalled them, causing them to bind on the disc. It just turned out to be a bit of crud around the top of the piston causing the problem. I just removed the calipers, took out the new pads, then pumped the piston about two thirds the way out, without dislodging the seal, cleaned them up, and now they work fine.
2. I scored some brand new rotors and pads, (non genuine), for $185(aussie dollars) each.
Genuine parts were $250 each for the discs, and pads were extra.
3. I had the blue paint work done professionally, but I sprayed the black parts myself, and I'm pretty happy with it.
I've got to say that, so far
, it's been one of the easier bikes that I've rebuilt, taking into account that I've had a shop do all the engine work
I guess that I shouldn't say this for fear of jinxing myself, but everything so far has come apart AND
gone back together relatively easy and problem free.
I hope it goes that way when it comes to reinstalling the engine and carbs.