Air filters?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Air filters??

This weekend in checking out that hose on the right ear which we don't know what its for I took off my air filter and the foam basically crumbled in my hands. I don't know how old it is, probably original I'm ashamed to say, or the wrong type of solution was used to clean it. Anyway while I was at the KAW dealer today I asked how much for a set of new ones and they told me $55, arghhhhh!!!, then I asked them how much for a set of K&N filters and they said $75.

Here's my question....Are these prices inflated do you think and any experiences with the K&N's? I know the K&N's will last longer, plus no foam to deal with, but are they worth the extra mulah?

Anybody know of a good place to look for these filters, K&N and original, replacements?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:02 PM
"ya can't live forever"

I know I'm gonna get blasted for this .........but I am using Tee shirt material
wrapped around the the wire support that held the foam filter......I have to say I have not had any problems and it has been 7,200 miles that I have been using this method.two layers of material seem to work well and costs nothing and last quite awhile......OK go ahead and fire away....I'll duck
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can find the K&N's on ebay for around $59 new. That and shipping is usually cheaper than local with tax. I don't know if you can beat that price?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 05:57 PM

Artman, If I were you you I would have a oil analysis done to see how much dirt is in your oil, may also want to cut your filter open and take a look see. A regular air filter will take out material down to 20-30 microns where T-shirt would probably let in 100 micron size particles. A human hair is about 100 microns in diameter but there are only about 5 microns of clearance between your crank and bearings= big pieces of dirt wedging themselfs in side your motor. Shame on you, you should have a least used polyester.(just kidding) better get some real filter material on there before it is to late.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it. I would search for it... but i cant seem to serch well on here. Maybe one of you search gurus can find it... I think they made it out of standard foam stock material and used like liquid nails to make the filter.... prolly would cost alot less then stock... And there is almost no advantage to moving to K&N over stock other then cleaning ability.

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 05:00 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it.
THIS is one I found that mentions making a filter.
And THIS one has slight mention of making one.
I also found THIS one which talks about the K&N's letting more dirt in than stock filters on company trucks.
I've only once bought a K&N, when I rebuilt the top end on my XR dirtbike. I can't say if it improved performance really, because of the other work I did to the bike at the same time.
I don't think they're all they say they are as far as being any better, unless you're looking for any improvement you can get, no matter how slight, as in for racing type applications.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM
"ya can't live forever"

Woody !!!! How many microns would panty hose let through ?
My G/F has lots of those, layin' around here.

Seriously though, I ride everyday at least 75 miles and change the oil quite frequently. South Florida is always hot and there is no shortage of dirt and dust down here, so changing filters was getting very expensive and the shirt thing seems to be working with frequent changings. It ain't for everybody. But it seems to be working for me.....I have less problems than NASA has with the space shuttle.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hizzo3
now i know i am not dreaming this one... i know there is someone on here that made their own air filter out of some kind of foam and did a post on it. I would search for it... but i cant seem to serch well on here. Maybe one of you search gurus can find it... I think they made it out of standard foam stock material and used like liquid nails to make the filter.... prolly would cost alot less then stock... And there is almost no advantage to moving to K&N over stock other then cleaning ability.
I am the guy who thought the OEM filters were lousey. We have HEPA filter material here at work. I glued it to the wire frames using superglue.

UPSIDE - It works a lot better
DOWNSIDE - Can't clean it. every 3K - 5K I have to make new ones, but it really does a good job.

Stan

VROC #12293
2004 VN750
MSF Ridercoach

new tires (OEM Stones) 6/2008
home made floorboards (knifemakers styling)
stator replaced 6/2008
cobra slashcuts 7/2007
clear alternatives brake & tailight 8/2008
Added Mutazu hard bags 3/2009
added customLED load equalizers for the bags LED lights 3/2009
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan
I am the guy who thought the OEM filters were lousey. We have HEPA filter material here at work. I glued it to the wire frames using superglue.

UPSIDE - It works a lot better
DOWNSIDE - Can't clean it. every 3K - 5K I have to make new ones, but it really does a good job.

Stan
Stan, do you oil the home made filters?

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 PM

Smile

I think if thats workin for you thats great.Put a little bit of light oil on before you install new ones.As far as getting debris in your oil thats highly unlikly its pretty tough getting past those rings.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement