under the weather - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question under the weather

Here's my situation. I'm going to drive or ride 2.5 hours to a conference on Thursday, and return on Saturday. The weather will be unseasonably perfect for riding those blue highways and country roads on Thursday-Friday. Here's the bummer: there's a 40% chance of light rain showers (with temps in the low 50s) beginning Friday night around 10:00 and continuing through the day Saturday.

I don't have a bike cover yet, but would probably get one on the way to protect the bike at night in the motel parking lot. I don't have high tech rain gear either, but I have clothing that I think would keep me reasonably dry/warm in light rain.

Question: Would you take the bike and enjoy the first two days, even if it might mean riding 2.5 hours home in a cool rain? Or would you decide that, discretion being the better part of valor, it would be safer to drive a car in the rain and easier on the bike too, so keep the bike parked in the dry garage and wait for a better day?

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 PM

Charlie, unless you have some kind of rain suit, I would say leave the bike home. Many, many years ago I got caught on my bike in a rain storm about 3 hours drive from home. I didn't have a rain suit and it was summer time. I was soaked to the skin and just about froze getting home. I took a hot shower and after about 3 more hours in bed with the electric blanket on high, I finally started to feel warm again. I bought a rain suit the next day and haven't travelled without one since.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Gnarly Jokester

Location: Southwest of Ruby Ridge, Geiger Heights, Washington, USA.

I would get a quality rain suit that is not only waterproof, but breathes.
I like my Frogg-Toggs, repels water, is breathable and has velcro
around the neck for a tight fit, elastic around the sleeves and ankles,
a hood and a cover over the front zipper. It is also very light weight.

Never thought I would find a rain coat I liked, but my Frogg-Togg's is
near perfect and not very expensive.

Listen to the Weather God, 40 pct is a better than 1 in 3 chance that
there will be measureable rain in the rain gage.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Looking at the radar, it does look like there may be scattered showers, but not too bad.
I know there's been plenty of times I wanted to take the bike somewhere, but didn't due to 'possibilities' of weekend rain, only to have beautiful skies for the entire weekend.

I'd say go for it, but then again, I've been known to sometimes go out for a ride just because it IS raining.

I've never been one for any rain gear that was more than $30 or so.
I seem to usually end up melting it on the pipes at some point. I now use tiny bungee straps around my legs and my $25 Wal-mart specials are holding up just fine.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Geek

I don't ride in the rain. I ride for fun, not for life. Rain is not fun.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

In my younger days, I went on too many training rides or raced (bicycles) on too many rainy days. I always felt horrible, and it took forever to get my core temp back up to something resembling "normal."

I am now old and wise...and don't rebound from such adventures well. I'd leave the bike at home, take the car, and save your riding for better weather (ESP if you don't have proper rain gear).

C
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 08:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
It's tempting, but without the right gear, that trip back could ruin the whole deal.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i've been cought quite a few times in rain without my gear (texas weather go figure). trust me it turns into a total nightmare.... Hypothermia is a real risk if themps are 85 and below.....prime example, get your finger wet, then blow on it... now imagine that all over your body, and at 70 mph?

My suggestion, order your rain gear, and a quality rain cover for the bike that folds up small (my neilson rigg is wonderful, both raingear and bike cover...). And if there is any doubt how well the rain gear will work, then it wont. riding a bike has some unique leak points, the crotch being one of them. another is the neck line, and then you have the arms, and legs..... always be better safe then sorry. Also make sure tires have plenty of tread....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 03:20 PM

For me the determining factor would be riding daylight or dark. In daylight if it started to rain, I'd pull into somewhere to wait it out, cover my bike and stay dry. I have raingear on my bike at all times but I still avoid riding if the rain chances are good. In four days, the chances of rain could go either way, but if you're planning on riding in the evening or after dark, with rain chances, I wouldn't risk it. There's nothing worse, in my mind than riding in the rain after dark. Plus, if the temp is in the 50's and raining, it's going to be DANGED COLD on the bike, especially if you get soaked.

Last December my buddy and I took a chance on a day ride that was round trip about 250 miles. There was a 20% chance of rain. That afternoon while we were still at our friend's house in Mico, it started sleeting. We both had rain gear so we jumped into it and headed out. We rode the 125 miles home in a light rain all the way back and of course it got dark early so it was NO FUN. We went slow and stopped for hot coffee twice. I was fine, but my skinny best friend on his goldwing nearly froze to death. It took him hours to warm up. It just took the fun out of that trip and turned it onto an adventure.
If we had been smart, we'd have got a motel for the night, or not gone at all.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Search Goddess

Ordinarily I would say.. take your bike.
However after my husband's accident in the rain Sunday.. unless you are experienced in riding in the rain, I'm tempted to tell you, don't do it.
However, I have cussed myself out several days when I decided not to take the bike into work because of 30-40% chance of rain only to see a gorgeous day slip away from me!
If you decide to go ahead, give yourself a big travel window if possible. That way you can pull off, and wait it out if needed.
Also invest in some rain gear cause if you get wet, it will take some time to get dry. Being wet with the sun going down is not pleasant riding.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement