started motor pull today - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

started motor pull today

ok taking a break from the motor pull (hands all greasy, wife gonna kill me when she touches the keyboard lmfao) funny how hardest part so far was the stupid cooling hoses everything else going like a breeze. should be out by next month.....oops I mean tonight. Only major problem I have encountered so far is after I took off seat, tank, side covers,ears,pipes,radiator,controls and stuff I stepped back to have a smoke and stood there staring at the bike....and thats when it happened....the wheels started to spin and I came up with all these great ideas to do to the bike (ok well they are great in my mind)
work just called and I am getting a temporary layoff for a week..I should have been upset but I told them "good, just have my pink slip ready" (looks better under the pink dress cegodsey loaned me lol
back to work...actually this is more like fun....with a newer car for the past few years I forgot how much I really enjoy the grease
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
ahhh, nothing like pulling an MC engine wearing pink dress...

good luck, post some pics of the damage (not of the dress!)

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL

Last edited by tankist; 10-25-2006 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
well i wish you luck... any issues just let me know....i've already pulled mine so i can help you out if u run into anything....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:13 PM

Dang man, sorry to hear about the layoff! Hope it is temporary like you said! You have a great attitude about it, might be the timing. Hang in there!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to tankist
layoffs are not fun for sure but not that bad as i found out last march. in my case getting the boot was the best thing that could happen since i wasn't planning on leaving myself and the work was OK. however as i found out , at least in IT industry one should change jobs every 3 years on average. one of my instructors (i'm also studying now) - a hiring manager from huge national company shared that under no sircumstance someone with 5+ years at last job is going to get hired on his watch. never! why?cause that person is to used to his old place and unwilling to change (hence the 5+ years in one place). i don't know what your proffession is and if this applies to you but it can't hurt.

as of today i'm still out of formal job. however lets just say we didn't go hungry, the mortgage is paid, and while i don't drive sparkling new car i managet to get my first motorcycle this summer. there are always plenty of small projects/contracts available for those who are willing look. and while the wife is not really happy about instability and lack of medical insurance i always managed to bring at least something to the table at worst, doing 3 concurrent projects at a time (on top of informal studying) at best.

what am i tying to say here? don't be to upset, try and get the best out of it. remember it is not a layoff, it is "a change in career" which BTW you made! (or at least thats what you should say at your next interview )

good luck with your engine and job hunting (well just in case) projects. remeber - Preditor which is not hungry is not going to hunt! (which will hurt himself and the environment he lives in).

http://agrasyuk.googlepages.com/home
Anton Grasyuk
Wheeling, IL
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

well mission accomplished, motor out of bike and on the porch. only casualty is my thumb (ouch) those dam frame bolts (the allen head ones) where on there tight had to put a wrench on for leverage...it broke free and I punched the dand driveway...lol
Hey thanks for the reply about the layoff but I honestly am not worried about it I only started there a month ago, I work a real good job in the spring and summer but that is only seasonal, this one I will be called back to in a week...we deliver copper to a place that makes copper wire and there furnace is shut down now, when running they melt 2 million pounds a day and you figure I can haul in 50,000 lbs a trip 3 trips a day so they need alot. the week off will just help me to concentrate on whats important (getting the bike fixed) tommorrow
enter the motor
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 10:18 PM

Glad you got it out so painlessly. When I dropped mine I literally dropped it. It was rusted in real good and even though I had removed all the bolts and stuff holding the engine in, it stayed in the frame when I lowered the jack supposedly holding it up. I made the mistake of removing the jack completely so that I could get a better grip in the engine and when it came out, it came all at once and landed on my knee which I had stupidly placed under the engine to help ease it down. It hurt like $%&& and I limped for about a week.
If you have any questions about the cylinders or cam chains, feel free to ask. I just put mine all back together last May so I can help if needed.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

OMG Sky Rider...ok I didn't mention that part because I thought I might have done something a little wrong but........all bolts out, floor jack and wood under engine, I lowered down the jack and hmmmmm motor stopped after about an inch. I checked to make sure it wasn't on the shifter rod, I tried to lean it to the right...nothing...I called for the wife to check the left while I watched the right, raised back up then down several times. Finally as I sat with my knees under the motor and my arms wrapped around it she broke free and down on my right knee. The position I was in I couldn't lift it up, I was afraid to try and pull my knee out from under it. Its a good thing I did have the wife out there at this point I had her remove the jack (which was just in the way at this point) then go back on the left and try to lift (desperation on my part she's only 4'8 1/2" 115 lbs) but she did move it just enough to get my leg out and got it lowered safely. after that I carried it to the porch by myself and now the back is sore.
OH I checked the final drive today for the first time and I am amazed at the condition of the splines, they look brand new, nice coating of grease on them, no rust and really can't see any wear at all. So that eased my mind for the motor work to begin.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Once Banned

So I guess this means that the motor WON'T come out unless a part of you is underneath it? It's starting to sound less like a hunk of steel and more like a spouse...

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Hmm, I think if I ever have to do an engine pull, I'll use a auto engine hoist to avoid the 'knee stuck under the engine' proceedure !! LOL
Glad things are going smooth for ya.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement