bike down - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

bike down

ok this may be long so grab a drink b4 reading on.

It all started friday the 6th I ran out of gas and switched to reserve for the first time (for those of you that remember I turned it OFF last time)
filled up and went the last mile to work, then home at end of the day. Sat. No riding this day, Sunday went for about a 50 mile ride and all was well in Vulcan land. Monday had a late start for work 8am on my way in there is a section of road that is to be paved soon, so going slow over the ground up pavement I had this van trying to become 1 with my rear tire, so as I got off the bad section, I took out my fustration on him by opening my bike up and running through the gears all smooth clean shifts never once going over 5 grand on the tach. My turn was coming up so I decelerated and downshifted and thats when it all started. POPOPOPOPOP like never b4, my bike backfires like crazy. came home from work and still the same. For some reason I decided to pull the front ACCT (was still wondering if it was a Gypsy mod) guess what it isn't it. I took out the stupid bolt the guy added to it, wound it in, reinstalled it put the nuts back, let go of the screwdriver, it spun back in, ok all seamed fine. added seafoam...I remembered that I forgot to do that and after switching to reserve with my rusty tank felt I should. took a short 1/2 mile ride and still POPOPOP. took it to work on tuesday, and then I heard it.....the cam chain slapping like a mother F....rode home easy after work (very easy) pulled the ACCT tried to see if it was stuck, and still slap slap slap..along with poppopopop. I do not have a garage so called the (what I thought was a highly recommended dealer) to pick up my bike (this I now feel was my biggest mistake !!) picked up on wednesday, called on thursday and they told me I didn't authorize them to do anything...THEN WHY THE HELL would I have them pick it up!!!!!!!!!! so I yelled and said FIX IT order the dam ACCT's and then check the timing and lets take it from there. called friday after work...they didn't even order the stupid tensioners yet. they tell me it needs a new cam chain..got back to me with the parts bill $996.00 plus 10-12 hours labor at $70 and hour. I freaked on their a$$es. I said only the front is making noise why do the rear also. he said well while the motors out you might as well to the rear...I SAID IF IT AINT BROKE MAN THEN DO NOT FIX IT...order the dam ACCT's put them in and do what I said. the popping may be just clogged jets. I called another dealer (farther from me so unfortunately they weren't considered at first) they said why do the rear if it is fine!!!!!!! thats what I am saying. I am thinking of taking the bike from where it is and bringing it to the other 1 but I already am into this for $35 for picking it up,plus you know they are going to charge me at least 1 hour labor for jack sh_ _ !! btw the bolts in my ACCT's were not Gypsy's mod they were simply bolt added to push in on the plunger to give it a little more throw because they were at their limits...I went from buying a bike that was going to make me $$$ I was offered more for a trade in then I paid for it ( I was seriously considering the 900 custom when it came out) to a bike now that I may be putting more into then I paid for it. OH and the icing on the cake when I got home from going with the guy that picked up my bike, cycle gear called to tell me my dam windshield I ordered had come in.....captain morgan ended up being my best friend that night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Geek

Woh !

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
yeah i hear ya man... although i can only suggest keeping your cool with the mechs, as siometimes they will be an ass back, but will take it out on your bike. as in set something else up to fail so u gotta pay more

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Once Banned

Are you sure the cam chain is worn out? If you get a new ACCT, it may not fix the problem without some sort of pretension. The more they move, the less tension they have. If already ordered, put it in and see how it goes. If not ordered, get the APE manual tensioner. I think you're OK - I believe that dealer doesn't know the Vulcan like we do.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Once Banned

Oh, the plunger has a fixed amount of "throw", so the bolt was added to "help" the spring. Which is what pretension is for - at least part of the reason. Your bike is OK.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I'm playing the waiting game now with the idiots...oops I mean wonderful service techs, once they call me and tell me the acct's are in I am going and getting my bike back from them. I don't care how it runs. I should have known when on the ride to my house to get the bike the tech asked me if I got high...WTF The more I think of it the more I am sure it did not jump timing...from what everyone says "I would know if it did" it ran,had slightly less power but I could have clogged the jets when switching to reserve 3 days b4. hey on a good note my memphis shades demon gradient black shield came in and I picked it up (like I really care right now) pouring another captain and coke
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 PM

I really feel for ya man........Its just not a good thing when you cant trust anyone any more IT SUCKS...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Once Banned

When you go get it, pull off the old ACCT and put on the new. Should be an easy swap. I remember someone saying that the new ones come with a piece of metal holding the plunger in, but in any case, make sure the plunger is retracted before tightening the ACCT in place (I usually just tighten one nut before letting the plunger go). Then pop loose the plunger, put the little bolt back in that covers the screw, and off you go.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Once Banned

PS - you should have told the service tech that you are a cop.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashLord
pouring another captain and coke
Make sure the coke is caffeine free. That stuff will kill ya. I like Pepsi better !

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement