WooHoo the bike is mine - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

WooHoo the bike is mine

I got this 93 VN750 with 13,381 miles on it for $35.00. Don't think that was too bad of a deal. Question is how long will these bikes last mileage wise till some major overhauling is needed?

Blessings!
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM

$35.00?

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseedsower View Post
I got this 93 VN750 with 13,381 miles on it for $35.00. Don't think that was too bad of a deal. Question is how long will these bikes last mileage wise till some major overhauling is needed?

Blessings!
Rich
Thought you got the bike back in Feb or is this another one????

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

The way it went down was this mechanic a few doors down from me got this bike to tinker with but never did anything with it. So when I saw it and talked to him about it I offered him to clean the carbs for him. So he let me take it to my shop.

After a few weeks tinkering with it, I needed more space in my shop (business) so I asked to bring the bike home to the shop I have here at home. The day I was taken the bike home the guy walked in and asked did I have a guitar amp I wanted to sell and I said no but I had one I would trade for the bike.

Up until lastnight the bike wasn't mine. I didn't know what he was going to do about the amp until today he walked in with the signed title.

I have a Pro Audio repair shop and I had this amp in that a customer never came back after. It cost me $35.00 for the part. So I paid $35.00 for the bike.

Now to get it running. I have torn apart 4 carbs that came off of my CB900 4 cylinder and it never phased me, but for some reasons these two carbs intimidate me. I have been watching Roach's video's to try to get ahead of the carbs but it is a little nerving.

Blessings!
Rich
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Is it the carbs themselves, or removing/replacing them? I can't believe how many people are having such a hard time getting them on and off. It IS a time consuming job, but not really all that difficult. Most people seem to forget to tie the airbox up out of the way, and to remove the choke cable. It is normal for it to take as much as 2-3 hours to get them out if you have never done it before, even if you are mechanically inclined. If you take the time to really look at things, it will become a lot more clear how they come out. The local dealer charges 3 hours ($300) to remove, clean, and reinstall them, but they do a sloppy job. They also only clean the float chamber and jets.

As for the carbs themselves, they are an oddball design, being all one piece, but they work the same as any other carb. If you have worked on carbs before, you will not find anything unfamiliar about these. Everything is still the same, it may look a little different, but it's all easily recognizable.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The way it went down was this mechanic a few doors down from me got this bike to tinker with but never did anything with it. So when I saw it and talked to him about it I offered him to clean the carbs for him. So he let me take it to my shop.

After a few weeks tinkering with it, I needed more space in my shop (business) so I asked to bring the bike home to the shop I have here at home. The day I was taken the bike home the guy walked in and asked did I have a guitar amp I wanted to sell and I said no but I had one I would trade for the bike.

Up until lastnight the bike wasn't mine. I didn't know what he was going to do about the amp until today he walked in with the signed title.

I have a Pro Audio repair shop and I had this amp in that a customer never came back after. It cost me $35.00 for the part. So I paid $35.00 for the bike.

Now to get it running. I have torn apart 4 carbs that came off of my CB900 4 cylinder and it never phased me, but for some reasons these two carbs intimidate me. I have been watching Roach's video's to try to get ahead of the carbs but it is a little nerving.

Blessings!
Rich
Right now I get it, thats what I call a bargain and at the price you paid it shouldn't bother you about the carbs you can buy loads more with the$$$s you saved getting the bike But seriously with the carbs the worst thing is getting them on and off, taking them apart is a doddle after that
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Well the carbs came out within 15 minutes after getting the choke cable off and pulling up the surge tank a little higher. I have watched Roach's videos enough that I am pretty confident to clean the carbs. So I will do that the next time I get some time.

I feel sure getting them back on may be a challenge but the victory of them going back on instead of me pulling them off is an awesome feat.

I know the bike fires but I have to have a battery, solenoid and the bolts to hold the seat and tank on. Also need 2 new turn signals. I should be good to go.

Found out the insurance on the bike is only $23.00 every 6 months and whatever a tag/tax is and I should be good to go.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Found out the insurance on the bike is only $23.00 every 6 months and whatever a tag/tax is and I should be good to go.
Shoot me a number or a link to this company. My record is sqeeky clean and mine is still $148 a year on liability for the least I could find.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I pay $36 a year for insurance, in AZ, from Dairyland/Sentry. But I do currently have 5 bikes insured with them. And I am the only covered rider on all of them, so their risk is pretty low.

Glad to here you got the carbs off so easy. Getting them back on will be a LITTLE more difficult, but not much. They go back on the same way they came off. It is a little more important to keep that "surge tank" tied up as far as it will go, that will give you the room you need to get them back in. I hope you decide to put it all back the way it was, you will not regret it. And if you need to pull the carbs again, then you will know exactly what to do.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Garage
Can't beat $35!