want o turn my 85 vn750 into a bobber.. help pls - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Beginer builder

Smile want o turn my 85 vn750 into a bobber.. help pls

hey guys i have se what a few guys here have been doin to there vulcans for custom work, i have just got a hold of my fathers old vulcn 750 and was going to restore it but i think that now i want to move more towards a bobber build.I was woderinig anyone can give me some advice and tips on things i willo need to know from the guys who have done this already, this will be my first time going custom on a ike and not rtoring so its l new, tryingto do it al on a slim budget. all input will be much appreciated. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 PM

At the top of this screen is a Google Custom Search window...enter "bobber" and press search. Tons of info.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness tj. We need more Canucks here, lol.
Too bad you are still as far away from me as most of the Yanks.
(Hmmm, I mean no offence to the Rebels among us, y`all.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalsh24 View Post
i have just got a hold of my fathers old vulcn 750 and was going to restore it but i think that now i want to move more towards a bobber build.I was woderinig anyone can give me some advice and tips on things i willo need to know from the guys who have done this already, this will be my first time going custom on a ike and not rtoring so its l new, tryingto do it al on a slim budget. all input will be much appreciated. thanks.
First off, WELCOME to the VN750 madness. Lots of great people with alot of knowledge to share.

Second, "A bobber is a custom motorcycle that usually has had the front fender removed, the rear fender "bobbed" or made smaller, and all superfluous parts removed to make it lighter". (Wikipedia)

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have a Rebel 250, and on the Rebel 250 forum bobbers are a big thing. The Vulcan will be a bit more difficult. Aside from the above things, a Bobber only has a rider seat. Take a look here www.bluecollarbobbers.com for some ideas. They actually make a kit for the Vulcan 800, with the 750 you are on your own. I have seen it done.

If you want to ever carry a passenger, or anything else on the back, or ever use saddlebags, you might want to go for the Meanstreak look instead. My understanding is that the Meanstreak seat can be made to fit the Vulcan 750, which totally changes the look of the bike. You could then build around that, maybe drag bars, and aftermarket exhaust, more chrome, etc.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 PM

Bobbers are fun to do.. Just start by stripping off as much crap as you can get away with.. the hardest part to do on the Vulcan IMO would be the seat.. I'm thinking about what I want to do with mine right now.. I want 2up so I was thinking about a sportster seat or making a seat pan out of glass or possibly trimming the stock seat pan but every one I've seen so far looked like crap cut down.. if you want to go solo I'm not so sure the Vulcan frame is really made for that.. I have seen people cut the tail off but I personally never built a frame so I'm not sure if it's safe..

I recently started to strip my bike down a bit.. relocated the horns, (put a tool bag there to hide the lines) I was also thinking about changing the head light to something smaller..

But what ever you do please keep safety in mind.. It's not worth risking your life just to look good.

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Beginer builder

That's a big help so far with all the info u guys gave me, appreciate all the welcomes to the "madness"! This project is going to be really special because it was my fathers bike, the one I learned to ride on and I want to do it as a tribute to hime cause he passed away from cancer on chritmas when I was thirteen. I will take pics and document the build as I go to help out anyone else who may plan on this type of build. My biggest worry is all the electrical with these vulcans. The dash pannel is the biggest worry is what I can safely eliminate. Thanks again for the help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 05:54 PM

You can completely eliminate the dash panel. But if you need a speedometer you may have a hard time finding one calibrated to the Vulcan. I believe you can cut off the whole frame behind the rear shock mounts, and use a premade bobber seat. You would have to fabricate your own mounts. Many bobber builders use some kind of trailer fender in the rear. The rear fender needs to be mounted to the swingarm, so it moves with the rear tire. That way you can mount it right down over the tire without it hitting. Also one of the big things with a bobber is a wide whitewall rear tire. Fortunately you can get one in the Vulcan's stock size.

Be aware that a true bobber is almost completely worthless as a practical motorcycle. There is not only no place to carry a passenger, but no place to carry anything else either. And they are not very comfortable. I wouldn't mind having one to scoot around town on, as long as I had another stock bike for highway use.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Check this site : http://www.cdthayer.com/cruiserchops.htm

I like the way the blue '85 was done (scroll down page, pics enlarge).
Bobbers are what was the original chopper of the 50s/60s/70s....in other words, talk to some of us oldfarts that used to make em...heck, I made one out of a '68 BSA 441 Victor, lol...."have welder, will travel"...Ive seen a bobber locally made out of a stripped down Aspencade even....

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:13 PM

Some very nice bikes. I've always been partial to the red wheel, wide whitewall, satin black paint look on bobbers. Kind of a ratrod look. I thought about doing that to my Rebel, but you can't do good job painting wire spoke wheels without taking them apart and painting just the rims. A bike that small and cheap wouldn't be worth it.

To me the word "chopper" specifically refers to a bike with a super raked out front end, ape hangers, tiny teardrop tank, a tall sissy bar, a fairly skinny large diameter rear tire, and a hardtail frame, like Peter Fonda's bike on "Easy Rider". I think the WWC and OCC style of so called "choppers" with 300 rear tires look like garbage.

I even thought about doing a "half bob" on my '85 Goldwing LTD. Remove the trunk, bags, rear fender, and cut the frame right behind the rear seat, while leaving the whole front fairing and windshield on. But I like all the carrying capacity to much.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement