starting issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

starting issues

I have aquired a 1993 VN750 but the solenoid is bad and I am having to jump it to hit the starter. When I do this it sounds as if the pistons aren't compressing. The spark plugs are pulled but I can't hear the compression pops.

Is there a proper procedure to cranking this bike. It is in neutral and no brake or clutch is engaged.

Any help here will be great.

Blessings!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Welcome to the forum. Need more info,year of bike and mileage, what mods are done. Does the bike run after you bypass the solenoid? Is it a bad solenoid or a weak battery?

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If it starts when you jump it.....you like just have a weak battery.

Do not buy a wet cell battery. Get an AGM like this one:

http://estoreBC.mkbattery.com/ProductInfo/12V14L-B.aspx

Pricey, but you never need to add water to it, it won't leak acid over your junction box (or anywhere else even if laying on it's side) and holds a charge longer. Puts out more CCA and will solve most starting problems.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Lot's of information missing here.
How are you "jumping" it? directly to the starter terminal on the starter?
Do you have the key 'ON', and the red emergency cuttoff switch on the right handlebar set to 'RUN'?
Neutral with the key switch 'on' should allow you to crank it with the starter button.
Are you sure the starter is turning the crank? If you're not sure, remove the left side alternator cover. You should see rotation while cranking. I take for granted that you know that there are two plugs per cylinder.
Actually, it sounds as though after checking for rotation, you need to do a full blown compression check on both cylinders. It sure wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't take all that much effort or time.

Good hunting.

~~C8> Ratt
Next: LED's
Will Do: Horns, Shave(maybe)

Last edited by ZCraggRatt; 02-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

It's a 1993 and I am not jumping it. I have however put a cranking battery charge on the bike and the lights will dim when I hit the starter and the solenoid will click as if it is a weak battery.

I have the spark plugs out and when I jump across the solenoid it only sound like the start is running but not engaging the starter gear.

I was just wondering if like on rider lawn mowers you have to be sitting on the unit, clutch pushed in and blades disengage to crank it. I was wonder did this bike have some special procedure to get it to crank that I was missing.

I don't want to put in any money to this as it isn't mine and I wanted to hear it run before purchasing it.

It has 13000 miles on it and it pretty good shape. I am going to take off the starter tomorrow night to see if it is engaging the gear to flywheel.

Blessings!
Richard
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you need to have the bike in neutral, and the clutch lever pulled in, and the side stand down in order to start... ohh and the spark plugs have to be in and hooked up to the coils
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
you need to have the bike in neutral, and the clutch lever pulled in, and the side stand down in order to start... ohh and the spark plugs have to be in and hooked up to the coils
If the bikes in neutral, you don't have to touch the clutch lever and it doesn't matter if the sidestand is up or down.

Doesn't matter if the spark plugs are hooked up to the coils.... The bike won't start at all if the "spark plugs are out".

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM

My bike will start in gear with the sidestand down! I dont have any interlock whatsoever. however, it is best to start in neutral, clutch in, stand up for safety. My bike doesnt have any interlocks

1986 Vn750
18,800 miles, and counting
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
B-stone S11 RWL-stock sizes
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
13,100 miles, and counting
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Member? ... check.

Garage
I think I would put the burden of getting this thing to idle in the sellers hands. If it ain't runnin', maybe you should ... just sayin'.

~~C8>
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't have any of those so called "safety switches" either. Not only are they unnecessary complication, but they tend to fail, usually at the worst possible place/time. Learn to ride right, and you won't need them. If you choose to keep them, learn how to diagnose and bypass them when they do fail, so you won't be stranded. I always start my bike in gear before taking off on it, except for the first start of the day, when I start it in neutral on the centerstand, let it warm up, shut it off, push it off the stand, get on, put it in first, pull in the clutch, start it, let out the clutch and go. Sounds like a lot, but it is really just one smooth continuous movement. It is not good to put a bike in gear while it is stopped with the engine running. Unlike a car clutch, a motorcycle clutch will always have some fluid friction, which is what causes that "clunk" when you shift into gear with the bike not moving.

If pushing the start button will not trip the relay and turn the starter, but you can get the starter to turn by jumpering the two terminals on the relay, you are either not getting voltage to the relay from the starter button, or the relay is bad. If you are getting voltage to the starter, and it spins but does not turn the engine, the problem is with the starter. With the plugs removed, there will be no compression, the engine will turn freely. But you can hear it turn over, it's a completely different sound from just the starter motor itself spinning. The relay (not solenoid, the Vulcan starter does not have a solenoid) only sends current to the starter. It has nothing to do with whether the starter works right or not.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement