What's your favorite? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

What's your favorite?

Lately I have really been noticing just how much I love my 2001 vn750. Everything is so great!! I love the fact that it has full instrumentation, shaft drive, and dual discs up front. Most bikes dont even have a Tach, so I love how we have water temp, fuel, tach and some have installed a volt meter! cool!! My question is, what do you love most about your Vulcan?

1986 Vn750
18,800 miles, and counting
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
B-stone S11 RWL-stock sizes
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
13,100 miles, and counting
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:04 PM

Don't know yet. Just loving the possibilities.

Live Free, Ride Much My Friends

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
Replaced crankshaft and rod bearings
coasterd
earshaved
degoated
sportster mufflers installed

To do
Repaint tank, frt fender, and side covers
add saddle bags
add luggage rack
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Are you new to the vn750?

1986 Vn750
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986vn750 View Post
Lately I have really been noticing just how much I love my 2001 vn750. Everything is so great!! I love the fact that it has full instrumentation, shaft drive, and dual discs up front. Most bikes dont even have a Tach, so I love how we have water temp, fuel, tach and some have installed a volt meter! cool!! My question is, what do you love most about your Vulcan?
Ah, young love. I loved many in my life. The current one very much...

What I loved most about the Vulcan was that I had fun on it, and alot of fun making things for it.....as opposed to just buying stuff. I never had a bike that I put so much "home made" stuff on....it made the bike feel much more of a personal thing.

Love can be fickle when it comes to bikes, but like past girl friends, there's always something pleasant to remember.........

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Yes, 1986, you are right.

The VN750 is indeed a special machine.

You can't really buy anything else like it now--regardless of price.

It is pretty much the last bike of its kind.

Because of its many std features, it also makes for a very good touring (long-distance) machine--except for the smallish fuel tank.

Don't overlook what else you have that's really cool, too--Virginia is not just for lovers.

Virginia is also for motorcyclists! You've got some mighty fine riding available to you up there:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/states/va.html

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

@theauhawk

Yes, there are so many awesome roads up here. Just normal communting off the major US Highways here are a blast. I have about 30mins ride to get to the Blue Ridge Parkway, that is amazing!

1986 Vn750
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Bat
Bat

I love the fact that, despite recovering from lung cancer and bearing up under controlled COPD, I can still ride anything! The Vulcan is as big a bike as I want, it has every feature mentioned above, which I like very much...it's a hefty critter that I feel will get me where I want to go, and I want to do some long distance rides in the next few years before I get too ancient to ride.
I've got a new radio, new jackets, gloves, GPS, and an old second-hand trunk that will hold about all I need for an extended trip, if I use the passenger seat for my principal luggage. I'll paint up the trunk for looks this spring, do the final adjustment on my newly installed MCCTs that seem to want to work just fine, load my tools and battery charger in the bags along with my new waterproof beautiful riding jacket that I got for a song on sale, and I'm off to new and wonderful lands! I don't have to burn up the highway, can go at a decent speed that will conserve gas so I don't have to stop too often, and just enjoy the trip, carpe diem! My riding partners will be a coupla trikes who do not ignite the tarmac, either, so it is a good reason to take it easy.
This year it will be Spartanburg, SC from Cincinnati, and next year a biggie out to Bend, Oregon, both for Motor Maid conventions, to which I will have to ride my own wheels in order to be eligible to attend the meeting and elections. That alone is incentive to keep things in running order and shipshape!
But, best of all, I seem to be one of those who find the stock seat just as comfortable as can be, so can ride and ride in comfort.
I do love my VN750!
Bat

Last edited by Bat; 02-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Something else i forgot to mention. I love, absolutley LOVE the 7 spoke alluminum wheels. It really makes the bike stand out compared to others. Most cruisers, almost all actually, have regualr bicycle spokes which are so boring!!!

1986 Vn750
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'd have to say the most important thing to me about the Vulcan 750 by far is it's comfort. I have completed 2 Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000s on it, and was not all that sore. It is a smaller bike that is every bit as comfortable as a Goldwing. I know, because I also have a Goldwing. Better wind protection, but overall not more comfortable. I give the seat a lot of credit, but what makes it all come together are the ergonomics. The relationship between the seat, bars, and pegs is absolutely perfect for me. There are no pressure points anywhere.

The second thing is all those standard features. Especially the shaft drive, tubeless tires, and centerstand. Those bikes with bicycle spokes also have tube type tires, and none of them have centerstands, so when you have a flat out on the road, you are stranded. Many times on the Vulcan I have had flats, and I just plugged the puncture, aired up the tire, and went on my way. I have 3 plugs in my rear tire right now, and still plan to wear it out.

Two things about the Vulcan I could probably do without is the liquid cooling and the over complicated engine. The Yamaha Virago was air cooled, with a much simpler engine, and most of the important features of the Vulcan. It also had the Vulcan's comfort and old school looks. It had a simple intake system, and you didn't have to pull the engine to replace the stator. I wish they still made it, I would probably buy a new one as a replacement for the Vulcan when it wears out. But I am very happy with the Vulcan. None of the Japanese manufacturers currently make a cruiser that I would consider as a replacement. Of the 750-800 class cruisers, none of them have a centerstand, most of them do not have shaft drive, and most of them have tube type tires, making them unacceptable for long distance travel. I might consider the Vulcan 900 Custom, if it either had carbs, or the electronics had a 10 year unlimited mileage warranty. Honda has zilch, the Yamaha V-Star 650 might work if it had tubeless tires. The Suzuki model that used to be the 800 Marauder is chain drive, no centerstand, but it at least has tubeless tires. Unfortunately it also has over $1000 worth of electronics with only a 1 year warranty, making it too risky for me to consider.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:29 AM
Jack of all trades

I like that even as a young guy I could afford it. Being 23 and not being filthy rich is a pain, but I found a bike that had more than enough power for me in my price range. I really liked that about it. Any other bike I could afford would have needed a decent amount of tlc to be decent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement