Adding a switch for running lights....... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Adding a switch for running lights.......

I am throwing the idea around to add running lights, or spot lights for at night, and obviously I will need to add a switch to turn them on when needed.

I am curious as to how other members installed an add-on switch to the VN750? I don't mean how it was wired....I mean for looks.

I was throwing the idea around to mount a toggle switch on the top of the "EAR", but wondering if there are better options.

What locations were chosen and how did the hardware look once installed? I don't want to make it look cheap, but I don't want to break the bank either. Anyone have photos of their installs? any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
My driving lights were switched by a waterproof toggle switch on my "Dash". (see Dash folder in my link below)

If you are just needing a switch, JC Whitney sells a handlebar mounted one for 7/8 and 1 inch bars.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
I wired a simple push button, push on-push again off to my digital volt meter and attached it by velcro to the black elect harness coming off my left hand controls. You can see it at my albums.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Sorry I don't have a pic but I cut a hole in the top of my left side cover & mounted my switch there. Easy to reach while riding & inconspicuous.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
KM....I love the dash idea....one of these days I will try to fabricate one myself. I kinda like my plexifairing, so it would have to fit under that.

Romeobravo172....I like the look of the thumb switch on the left side controls. What switch did you use, and how is it mounted?

Kanuck69...that was another place I considered, was just afraid it would get hit too often by accident there.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Can't tell you the make of the switch, Was one of those things thrown in my elect junk box for possible future use. Is fairly small, kind of football shaped and flat on the back side. The wire harness comes out of the left control and is incassed in like a vinal sheath and right there is reasonably firm. Took a piece of fairly stif velcro and glued it right there next to the left control case, and opposite velcro to flat bottom of switch. I just need to trim a tiny edge of velcro to tidy up a bit. I think it looks like it belongs there and is somewhat out of direct weather. Plus is real easy to get to.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
Can't tell you the make of the switch, Was one of those things thrown in my elect junk box for possible future use. Is fairly small, kind of football shaped and flat on the back side. The wire harness comes out of the left control and is incassed in like a vinal sheath and right there is reasonably firm. Took a piece of fairly stif velcro and glued it right there next to the left control case, and opposite velcro to flat bottom of switch. I just need to trim a tiny edge of velcro to tidy up a bit. I think it looks like it belongs there and is somewhat out of direct weather. Plus is real easy to get to.
I am going to start digging for a waterproof switch that will fit in that area, possibly mounted to a flange or bracket that will fit under a bolt.

I did not find any handlebar switches in JC Whitney as KN mentioned above, but I see they have a housing to fit over the Brake reservoir and adds 3 switches, but of coarse they don't make one to fit the VN750
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sorry I don't have a picture but I bought a Radio Shack switch with a lighted bat toggle and cut the bat down as small as possible and mounted it in the plastic cowl in front of the tank. Wired it to a relay which controls the power to my lights.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
Sorry I don't have a picture but I bought a Radio Shack switch with a lighted bat toggle and cut the bat down as small as possible and mounted it in the plastic cowl in front of the tank. Wired it to a relay which controls the power to my lights.
that's a location I haven't considered yet. Great idea!

And the wiring would stay pretty much hidden under the cowl, which is very close to the light bucket and the front end where I may mount them on the engine guard. thanks!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Despite the fact that I have had at least 2 of them, I cannot find that JC Whitney switch either. It looked a lot like this ( http://tinyurl.com/6ore5ez ) but did not have the coiled cord. You could get them as a single switch, or 2 switches in one housing. Mine were both single switches, SPST, to turn one thing on and off.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement