First timer, Vulcan Project - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

First timer, Vulcan Project

Ok so i am going to start a thread to go along with the album for the rebuild of my 85 VN700. Some members have already wished me well, and given info. I do greatly appreciate it. As I stated in my newbie post my 700 came to me in pieces. The engine was out of the frame, final drive had been sold off along with the 2 front frame covers, wiring harness was in place but not connected to anything(P/O had it off, I had him put it back). Tank was loosely bolted in place, air box and back rest MIA in the P/O's garage, took week for him to find them. Engine was running poorly and so the P/O had broken it down to find out the problem. Turns out that there was a spun rod bearing/bushing. I had him put it back together so I could take it apart and bag and catolog the small parts, bolts, nuts. He did not put the rods back in, but thats an easy thing to do when I rebuild. I also got 3 mid sized boxes with the drive shaft, coils, filter boxes, battery, mics bolts, nuts, bushing, washers, clamps, factory exhaust(minus the right side heat shield), aftermarket harley slip-on sportster mufflers/w heat shields. I know there was other stuff there but I can't remember it all now.

I have since reconnected the wiring harness to all that i can and put the batter in place, all that will work with out the engine works. Took the tank off and removed the cap as the key for it and the helmet locks was lost. took the lock cylinder out out of the tank cap and put the cap and latch back on. reattached the brake and clutch levers, as they were off. Remounted the kick stand. Remounted the backrest and tool box. I will need to repair the hing for the tool box door as it has seperated from the main body. Sorted the mics bolts, nuts, bushings, washers and bagged them. Decided that painting the front fender, tank and side covers was needed as thy all are showing a lot of wear in one form or another. I will keep the base color black with flame graphics on the fender and tank and a new vulcan log on the side covers. I may even include "VN700" on the side covers if i dont do a swap to a 750.

Did order the frame covers and final drive from EBAY. So is $112/w shipping a good deal on the final drive?? I will be putting the final drive on very soon as I have this strong need to see my bike rolling even with out the engine.

I think that is now about it. Not sure if anyone else would see this as a lot to do in 3 weeks, but it seems as such to me. There will be more as I get time to and i progress...

Live Free, ride much!!!

Live Free, Ride Much My Friends

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
Replaced crankshaft and rod bearings
coasterd
earshaved
degoated
sportster mufflers installed

To do
Repaint tank, frt fender, and side covers
add saddle bags
add luggage rack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 PM

Wow and I thought my fork seals and carb strip were a big enough job good look with your project
post #3 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

$112 delivered is a good deal on the final drive, if the splines are all in good shape.
Were you able to see detailed pictures of them before ordering it?
It`s over $1000 for a new one!
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m4555#sch49414

I used a pair of 4" strap hinges on my toolbox cover.
Someone else used a piano hinge.
Check the gallery for pictures of replacement hinges on the toolbox.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 02-01-2012 at 06:41 PM.

post #4 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I did get to look at the splines before placing my Buy Now order for the drive. Pics showed good clean sharp edges. Thats how they looked when the drive arrived 4 days after ordering. If they hadn't it would have gone back immdiately. I was considering the piano hinge or a pair of small box/door hinges. I did forget to mention that the lock/latch for it is gone. Another item the P/O sold off. I'm going to be searching local hardware stores for a keyed lock latch that may work. Although thats a little down the "to do" list

Live Free, Ride well

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
coasterd
earshaved
degoated

To do
add saddle bags
add luggage rack
post #5 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:03 PM

Hinge for the tool box cover

I just used duck tape on the inside. Looks perfect and works well. You don't see it unless you open the tool box, then it doesn't look bad. Might have to be replaced down the road, but it is cheap and does the job. I guess all I use mine for is my insurance card. Here in Illinois you have to carry proof of insurance. Maybe that is a rule in most states.

Mcneuby
post #6 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Yea, good old duct tape does just fine, mine split about half way and could not find a hinge I liked,a blind man running for his life would never see that! Plus can never tell when a piece of duct might save the day---now if I can figure out a good place for a coat hanger--lol

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #7 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

If you are going to start from the very beginning, might as well clean up the frame good while you have the chance, pull the swingarm and steering head and check, lube, adjust, or replace the bearings as necessary. The only bike I ever built from the frame up was a '79 Yamaha XS650, and that engine is so much less complicated than the Vulcan. I had to build my own wiring harness for it, as it came without one. Mine came out a lot simpler than the oem one. I actually stripped the frame down and repainted it. That was back about 1990. eBay was not around back then, but I found all the parts I needed at a local salvage yard.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Jerry that is good advise. Once I have gotten to the point where I am about ready to put the motor back in I am going to clean and check everything else, that i have not already checked. I've already been working on cleaning and checking parts and components such as the wheel bearings, fork seals, rear shocks, all electrcal connections, throttle cables(this i hung and lubed because the P/O told me the decel was hanging up a bit) clutch and choke cables, rear brake drum; cable, shoes, petal. Again I'm not a mechanic but common sense says that I need to check everything and so far there have only been a few minor fixes to my vulcan, other then the motor. The only thing so far that I have found and not yet fixed is the sight window on the front brake master cylinder. I have already found on this forum a fix for it and as i do have some scrap plexiglass floating around. I figure a disc of that and a little 2 ton epoxy will take care of it.

As of this morining I now also have Moly 60 in hand and i will be putting the final drive on and reattaching the rear wheel/tire. I know that its a little premature to do so, but I have strong need to see my vulcan rolling even without the motor in it. So after lunch I will hole up in the garage until its done.

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
coasterd
earshaved
degoated

To do
add saddle bags
add luggage rack

Last edited by firemancc91; 02-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
post #9 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM

All seemss to be going well
post #10 of 154 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
All seemss to be going well

Yeppers Swag all is going very well. Check out my album friends. only took me 20 minuts to get the rear end all back togethter

Now got to wait @ week for the needed $$$$ to get to the motor work..ie crank turned, rod bearings and crankshaft dampener bushings replaced. As i will be working tomorrow I'm going to wait to start the tear down of the motor until Sat or Sun. In the mean time I think I remove the front fender and start preping it and the tank for paint. At this point because I am leaving the base color black and the rear fender looks fine, just needs a good rub and wax. I will not be repainting it. Then after the $$$$ comes in for the motor work i will get the needed airbrush equipment and start practicing my technic for doing the flame graphics I'm going to put on the fender and tank. Should be a fun and productive next couple of weeks.

Charlie

85 VN700
"SERENITY"
coasterd
earshaved
degoated

To do
add saddle bags
add luggage rack

Last edited by firemancc91; 02-02-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement