How do you wash your VN750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

How do you wash your VN750?

Specifically with regard to electrical components. My usual routine is to put a plastic grocery bag over each handgrip to keep water out of the switches. I remove the seat and saddle bags and tuck another bag over the battery compartment and the wiring in there, and for today's wash I also wrapped the wires going to the tail light and rear turn signals. Is this overkill and unnecessarily redundant over protectionism??

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Jack of all trades

I never really get up that high. I clean the bars and grips by hand. As far as the seat goes I leave it on while I wash. You shouldn't need an absurd amount of water pressure to clean the bike anyway. Just exercise aim while u wash and you should be fine.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I actually wash mine only about once a year, and when I'm done, it is spotless, top and bottom. I pretty much tear it down to the engine, frame, and wheels. I use several different kinds of cleaners, tooth brushes, Q-tips, sponges, and paint brushes. I wash all the parts I took off separately, then reassemble everything. I pay particular attention to nooks and crannies, hidden areas, and places like slots in screws and the recesses in Allen bolts.

Go down to your local library, and get a copy of "Ultimate Motorcycle Detailing" by David H. Jacobs. It explains the whole procedure in great detail. Thats right, it takes a whole book to explain it.

The rest of the year, I mostly just use a garden sprayer full of distilled water to rinse the dust off it (dust is the biggest problem here, for a bike stored in a garage) I remove the windshield and soak it in water (usually in the bathtub) for a while to soften up the bugs, then wash it with hair shampoo, and dry it with VIVA paper towels. Never wipe a windshield or painted surface until ALL dirt has been flushed off of it, or you will wind up sanding it instead.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You wash your bike? Seriously?

I would never spray water on my bike. I tend to use plexus for the plastic and Honda spray polish + cleaner for all the metal, rubber and use leather/vinyl cleaner on the seat.

I only use soap and water on the tires/wheels if they get muddy, but I use a tub or bucket , not a garden hose.

I then use "Ice" wax on everything but the rubber and seat.

Spraying your bike with a hose is so, uh, last century. Water sucks as a cleaner and just causes rust and corrosion.

Spray contact cleaner works great removing grease off engine parts. I do use armor-all on cables and hoses.. Not on tires.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 01-29-2012 at 07:05 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Splash it all over

I use household dish washing liquid,,used it for years,and i dont care where the water goes,it dont bother the bike at all !. After washing i give it the waxing and its gleeming again !. I actually ride my bike in the rain,so its used to getting wet !!!

AGEING IS INEVITABLE,,MATURING IS OPTIONAL

VN 750 A8 1992.
27000 miles.
Imported from California
to UK in 1996.

New for 2012.
new filters(foam type)
replacement shocks(MDI)
Iridium plugs.
AGM battery(platinum)
brake pads(Kyoto)
(All on and running)
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I spray the bike down with "Bike Bright" then wash it off with the hose. then "blow dry" the bike with my leaf blower. also use "Pledge" on the windshield. works great, takes bugs right off! and smells good too! lol in a nutshell, that's it.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
And by the way.... I only clean the whole bike like very few years.... I forgot how anal some folks get on keeping their bike "clean".

Water spots on the windscreen are one thing.... But "detailing" a bike borders on anal unless your talking about an every year or two year kind of thing...

(I have not "washed" my bike for 3 years so far). I do "spot clean" different sections every now and then.. ...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Garage
I never use a hose to wash the bike. I usually use a bucket of water with dish soap to clean the rims and tires. as for the rest of the bike, I use the detailing method, but usually only a real detail job is done in the fall before she goes in the shed until the weather allows riding. Since I did some experimenting with the exhaust this weekend, I polished some of the chrome bolts and pieces while they were off the bike. Rain doesn't seem to bother the bike, but I see no reason to hose it down and saturate all the wiring and cables.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:02 AM

Every time we get home from a 'day ride' I use a Wipe 'N Clean towelette, Costco sells them in a box of 200, starting with helmets and sunglasses then to the bike. I wipe down the tank and gauges and work my way down to the wheels and maybe the garage floor before I toss it in the trash. Never a great cleaning job, but my bikes never look too bad to ride.
When I get in the mood to really clean, I'll use the garden hose and purple power or simple green on the wheels and greasy parts and Ice on the shiny stuff. Never more pressure from the hose than what I would spray at my face.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 AM

Hose the whole thing down, it won't melt; Contrary to popular belief (and exercise), these things are made to ride in a downpour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement