Alumiloy...anyone use it? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alumiloy...anyone use it?

I was going through my shed and found a bunch of Alumiloy rods I got a few years back. I used it to fix a deep gouge on the side of my john boat and it worked great...still holding water today. I honestly forgot I had this stuff. All you needed was a propane torch and the rods (after you prepped the area to weld), and from what I can remember...it worked pretty well once you got the hang of it. I used it to seal up holes (drilling mistakes) on aluminum.

I was playing with the idea of making my own add on parts and plan on giving it a try with aluminum stock, but I don't remember what types of metals this would work on besides aluminum, so I will have to experiment a bit.

I was just curious if anyone has used the stuff before and what you thought of it. I am also wondering if there is a similar product to do similar repairs/welding on the market today that people are using with success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

This what I found when I googled alumiloy.
http://aluminumrepair.com/land/index...FQcKKgodyyioBA

It doesn`t say it is alumiloy, but it seems to be currently available.

Quote from the above link:

Quote:
Anyone Can Repair Aluminum Quickly and Easily with HTS-2000 Brazing Rods
The Strongest, Fastest, and Easiest Aluminum Fabrication or Parts Repair.
Will it work for your job? YES! This high-strength brazing rod allows you to repair or fabricate aluminum stronger than a Tig welding machine, without the machine. No welding aluminum needed! All you need to repair any metal stronger than new is a heat source (propane or mapp gas), a turbo tip, or oxy-acetylene, and our material. This new repair technology performs well on aluminum, cast aluminum, pot metal, copper, magnesium, and all white or porous metals. You can easily repair corroded or oil-impregnated areas that can be next to impossible to fix using welding machines with aluminum welding rods or other brazing products.

•Saves you time – Repairs are fast and simple, brazing aluminum with our HTS-2000 or cast iron with our HTS-528 brazing rods .

•Saves you money – Cheaper than welding machines or buying new or used parts.

•Lets you do it yourself – Regardless of your experience anyone can easily learn how to braze aluminum.

•Does the impossible! – Accomplishes many repairs even after a welder says it can't be done stronger than welding and even repairs oily or oxidized metals.

Imagine getting stronger, better results than welding, by using our high-strength brazing rods and just a torch—the kind of propane or mapp gas torch you probably already have or can easily pick up at your local hardware store.

•Stronger – More tensile strength plus more elongation. with our HTS brazing rod.

•Easier – No flux or mixes. No special brush needed like other inferior brazing alloys.

•Better Penetrating – Penetrates past impurities like antifreeze, oil, and corrosion. Even repair metals you just cannot weld or repair with conventional Mig or Tig welders.

More than 25,000 satisfied Dealers, Machine Shop, and Repair Shop Professionals will tell you after trying all other products to repair aluminum and cast, our products are the only ones they use and trust.

Just a few of the many metal parts that can be easily repaired!
Aluminum Heads
Cast Iron Heads
A/C Lines
Timing Covers
Manifolds
Fuel Tanks
Wheels
Complete Fabrication
Aluminum Boats
Cavitation Plates
Brackets
Ladders
Tool Boxes
Mast Fenders
Truck Beds
Transmission Cases
Oil Pans
Bell Housing
Aftercoolers
Condensers
Condenser Lines
Refrigeration
Rivets
2N tractor parts
Awnings
Industrial Parts
Aluminum Molds Pot Metal Parts
Loaders
Engine Blocks
Turbochargers
Generators
Alternators
Radiators
Irrigation Pipes
Aviation Float
Seams
Skegs
Furniture
Pumps
Towers

More information:
•HTS-2000 Brazing Rods for all non-ferrous alloys like Aluminum, Cast Aluminum, Aluminum Magnesium, Pot Metal, Zinc, Copper, Brass, Titanium, Nickel and Anodized parts.

•HTS-528 Brazing Rods for any ferrous alloys like Cast Iron, Steel, Brass, Nickel, all hard surface alloys.

•Order on-line now , and see how affordable this amazing product can be for your repairs!

Still have questions about Aluminum Repair, Welding or Brazing? click here to see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Found this link to alumiloy:
http://www.sooperarticles.com/busine...oy-180912.html

Quote:
Ever had to throw away and replace an aluminum item because it was broke? Aluminum is actually fairly easy to fix if you have the right tools. There is a company called Bradshaw Consulting, Inc. that has created a website for a product called Alumaloy. This patented material can be used with simply a heating torch to repair a wide variety of aluminum items such as boats, containers, gates, fences, windows and much more. It is a flux less repair material that once bonded or cooled is stronger than the original aluminum.

You simple clean the aluminum you are fixing and then with a propane torch heat the Alumaloy, which comes in 1/20th of a pound sticks about 18 inches long. Imagine the possibilities of repairing expensive items cheaply. I was asked to review the product this past summer when a friend of mines fishing boat developed a crack.

My friend, bob, was frustrated at the prospect of taking his boat into the marina and getting it fixed. I was asked to attempt a repair and report back my results. The hardest part was the prep work. Once we got the boat out of the water and cleaned the rest was very straight forward. The crack was about 6 inches in length and at one end the crack was spreading in a few directions so we decided to drill a hole about a dime size at the end of the crack. You can image my surprise when we fired up the torch and the Alumaloy started to melt once the blue part of the flame consumed the stick. I would like to point out that just pointing the torch toward the aluminum repair rod will not work. Be careful though, the rod will liquefy quickly so make sure the item you need repaired is ready. I would describe the way it adhered to the aluminum like water does not want to run out of a cup when you fill it all the way or when water beads up. It really filled the crack and the dime size hole and I was shocked. For about $20 in product my friend's boat was fixed.

After it cooled you could barely tell any work was done. We did some finishing touches on the paint and the boat was like new! I now keep all three of this companies products stocked in my tool shed.

Alumaloy is aluminum repair rod that fixes items such as boats, tools and fences without welding. Different items you can repair with Alumaloy are Butt Joints, Lap Joints, Mitered Joints, Aluminium Repair, Aluminium Welding, Stripped threads, USA

Read more: Aluminum Repair Rod Items by Alumaloy http://www.sooperarticles.com/busine...#ixzz1ioT72RQx

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 01-07-2012 at 05:11 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I saw that one too gordon, not sure if it is alumiloy or not....seems the alumiloy website is not loading properly.

I just did a quick test braizing 2 aluminum bar stocks together. one I let cool on it's own, the other I cooled quickly with water. The one I quickly cooled was brittle and I was able to snap the weld. the other one seems much stronger. OK, so lesson learned....let it cool down on it's own or the material will not take hold very well.
The beauty of it is....I can just grind it down and do it over again....makes for good practice.

Last edited by kc2dgq; 01-24-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement