To buy or not to buy? That's my question. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

To buy or not to buy? That's my question.

So a guy down the road from me is selling a 2002 750 for a hell of a deal, but it has 40k miles on it. He said there is nothing wrong with it. So should I take the risk buying it and then have to replace a major part as soon as it gets warm out? Help me out here people and thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That depends on how cheep. You can do some tests on the chagrign system and know what you have. Test the 3 stator legs and see if they are grounded or open, Should be open. put a meter on and check your voltage running with RPM up and make sure it is charging.
grab the ft brake adn make sure it has pressure.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:21 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

from what I have read on this forum.... Normally, 40K should be fine...
You would hope proper oil changes have been performed, hopefully not over-revved,
test battery charging voltage @ idle & also @ 3-4K rpm (as per this forum).
Tire condition is always something to consider. If all looks good & you purchase, you have the remaining winter to get to know your bike and perform routine mc maintenance.
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:35 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

along with everything else stated above ^
also ask him about the splines. ask him if the splines have been lubed? if he doesn't know or gives you a funny look and asks you 'what is a "spline" ?', you may want to walk away from it. with that many miles on the bike the splines should have been lubed at least 4 times. if he tells you 'yes. they have been lubed'. ask him when was the last time and what shape were the splines in.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 AM

Take it to a motorcycle mechanic, might cost you $40.00 for someone to go over it but could save you thousands in the long run. I personally believe 40,000 miles is not anything to get worried about. It comes down to how he took care of the bike.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help everybody if there is anything else i should be looking for let me know. And Ruger how do you check the splines?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
along with everything else stated above ^
also ask him about the splines. ask him if the splines have been lubed? if he doesn't know or gives you a funny look and asks you 'what is a "spline" ?', you may want to walk away from it. with that many miles on the bike the splines should have been lubed at least 4 times. if he tells you 'yes. they have been lubed'. ask him when was the last time and what shape were the splines in.
And what he used to lube them with. If it wasn't Honda Moly 60 or equivalent (Guard Dog Moly, etc.,) they may still be bad even if lubed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewWest View Post
Thanks for the help everybody if there is anything else i should be looking for let me know. And Ruger how do you check the splines?
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

Good used replacement parts run $75-100 or so.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Just a regular guy

How much is he asking? I would ask if he is a regular on this forum, if he is, it is a good chance he has some idea how to take care of the bike.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

How good of a deal? If it is too good, that alone would give me cause for concern. People don't give away good bikes. The Vulcan 750 is normally a pretty reliable bike, but it is an oddball. It is WAY more complex than any other v-twin cruiser that I know of, and there are a lot of things that CAN go wrong with it. I have 71,000 on an '02, and the only problems have been a clutch and the cam chain tensioners. Failed cam chain tensioners can destroy the engine if not fixed in time. Cam chain tensioners and final drive parts seem to be the biggest issues, I have lubed my final drive splines about 10 times. It is a time consuming process if you have never done it. First time took me a whole day and a couple of hours the next day.

I wouldn't worry about the stator nearly as much as the splines. Yes, you have to pull the engine partly out to get to it, but it is very straightforward, with the removable frame section on the right. The job might cost you $300 or so, there are over $3000 worth of parts that can get chewed up on the final drive, including the final drive gearcase, driveshaft, and front bevel drive gearcase. I bought my '02 brand new, rode it home, and did the spline lube. Even brand new there was no grease on it. There would have been damage had I waited till the scheduled time to do it.

These bikes tend to have the cylinder base gaskets fail more often than I would consider normal, IMO. The reason seems to be one of design. The coolant passages are VERY close to the edge, and the gasket is very thin around them. Look for coolant/corrosion in the V where the base of the cylinders come together.

Read through the Vulcan verses for more information on this bike and it's possible problems.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Yeah, the more details we have, the better help we can be. How much money exactly? At 40k, what do the tires look like? Gauges work? Tank dinged at all? Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement