Choosing a seat for my VN - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to djar Send a message via Skype™ to djar
Choosing a seat for my VN

I tried to post this a while ago, but It didnt get posted, I suppose its because it is too long. I'll try again. If it shows up twice, I'll just remove one of the posts or ask an administrator to remove it if I cant do it myself. :-) Here goes!

I would like to share with you what I’ve researched so far regarding seat modifications. I’ve been looking and looking for seat possibilities, and also checking out WHAT I would like my VN750 to look like in the long run. So far what I want to do in the short run:
• I want to remove the backrest.
• I would like to lower the profile of the second section of the seat.
• I don’t want a solo seat as I ride a lot with a passenger.

Last edited by djar; 12-20-2011 at 12:21 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Modified vn750 to Bobber
I found this one online at photobucket. Credit goes to the owner john_gixxer1k, is he a forum member? This bike looks great! ... Talking about the seat, it’s not a solo seat, which is what I would like, and it’s shaved, lowered. It actually looks very similar to a VN900 custom seat, but the VN900 custom is higher in the back from the pictures that I have seen, I love how this modified VN750 looks! I’ve written to the owner of the pictures hoping that he will share some info about the seat, if he bought it, modified it etc. If someone has any thoughts, please pitch in.

Link

Last edited by djar; 12-20-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: missed image links
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Completely modified (drodeo17)
This one is from a forum member, man I love your bike! What I am picking out from this bike is the aftermarket tail light that he put in the back. Your seat works perfectly with the design you put forward for your bike, color matching perfectly. Its looks so sleek! Is that a batman emblem stitched in the passenger side of the seat??

Link

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Stock seat modified (silverback9)
Silverback9, you did a GREAT job modifying the original seat. So far, I am going to follow your example and start off with an original seat and modify it. I would keep it a little bit longer than yours in order to give the person in the back a little bit more space and also to achieve the slanted finish from the first bike in this post. Your posting showed me (1) that I can do it myself and (2) that it can be done!

Link

Last edited by djar; 12-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Vulcan 750 original seat modified (vulcanpappy)
These pictures gave me more courage to go ahead and cut the seat. I was wondering how the back would look cut, and these clarified it completely. I‘ve decided that I want to keep the side frame rails, but eliminating the extension that held the backrest in place, I’ll explain that in more detail further down.

Link

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Another modified seat (Strange Paul)
This seat also looks awesome; I wrote to Paul asking a little more info about the seat, hopefully he’ll be able to give me some ideas.

Link

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

MeanStreak 1600 (The DEUCE)
I read from one of DEUCE’s posts that he has the MeanStreak 1600 seat. I started browsing through his 450+ posts to see if he has pictures of this install, but I haven’t found any yet… hopefully he’ll get back to me. The only reference I have for his install is this little profile picture. :-)
I’d love to see how this seat looks from every angle.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

NOW! SIDE FRAME RAILS MODIFICATION!

As the idea so far is to keep the side frame rails as they are part of the bike and the rear signal lights are attached to them, the modification that I will make is:
(1) Cut the extension that held the back rest.
(2) Sand, polish etc to achieve a continuous curve.

I don't want to mess up my originals, so I've already purchased a pair to work on. I think it's a good idea to keep all my originals intact just in case I really mess up.

After some inventive use of Microsoft paint... this is the how the part should look when finished...

This way I mess with the frame and structure as little as possible. and give the bike a flush look for the seat to come. Now, the decision to make is:

(1) Grab an original seat and modify it... so far the best option.
(2) buy another seat and not modify it... like a VN900
(3) make a seat from scratch? doubtful...

I'll wait for your opinions and for the different forum members to respond to me before going forward.

Last edited by djar; 12-20-2011 at 01:05 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

While I love the looks of some of those bikes, that is pretty much what they were built for. I need to actually use mine, as I mostly use it as a touring bike. I have the stock seat, the backrest extension, the luggage rack, the Kawasaki saddlebag mounts/turn signal relocators, and Kawasaki bolt on hard leather bags.

I would suggest that you at least give it some serious thought before cutting it up. All of those bikes you posted pictures of would be completely useless to me. There isn't even enough room to carry something to fix a flat tire (which I seem to have more than my share of) With the saddlebags, a T-Bag on the backrest and rack, a duffle bag bungeed on the passenger part of the seat against the backrest, and a 16 liter tank bag, I can carry enough stuff for a 2 week trip. The stuffed duffle bag also makes a nice backrest.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Jerry

Thanks for your input. You give me a lot to think about! Don't worry, I am not cutting into any of my current equipment or parts. I am getting used parts to see how this comes out.

I understand your concern regarding the usability of the bike. In my case, I primarily use the bike to commute to work and cruise with my gf in the weekends, the most we are carrying is a backpack with a towel if we are heading to the beach. My commute to work is only 8 miles away and doesn't require any luggage or equipment. any weekend activity is also in the 5 to 10 mile radius.

Long trips is not something we see we would be doing continuously, even through we have done it twice since I got the bike and enjoyed it extensively! That is why I am keeping my original seat and side frame rails. I want to experiment with a different seating option, but don't want to loose the possibility of going back to the original design

Getting this bike has opened up new trips, vacations, plans for us. And I am sure we will discover different possibilities and uses in the future.

It is definitely a great enhancement to add storage compartments, I am still looking at the possibilities out there. If I were using the bike as you are, I am certain that I would go forward with a setup similar to yours! Do you have picture of your bike somewhere in the forum? I would love to see the pictures!

Diego

Sponsored Links
Advertisement