Motorcycle Jacket - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Jacket

Guys-

I am putting my Christmas list together and I want to put a motorcycle jacket on it. Heres the deal, I ordered a 4x from leatherup and it was too small. I am 340 pounds and 6'2 with a large frame. Normally I am 2X.. sometimes 3X in normal clothes.

I am looking for a great winter coat with a zip out liner that I can use in the summer as well. Of course one with some great protection.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jay

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I think there are several threads on jackets in "Equipment"..(where this post should have been placed.. )

If I remember correctly, finding models in the Xtra-Xtra large sizes is the problem.

Oddly...lol... Harley shops seem to carry the larger sizes more than the Metric stores. I'd try them before going online....as diffrent makers seem to be sized different than tbe advertised numbers.

You could start just doing a search for "3XX motorcycle jacket" and see what turns up.

I have the opposite problem, finding ones that fit my elf-sized frame.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Your right. I should have posted under equipment. I have however searched through the forum for jackets and I found alot of good direction and advice. What I didn't find that I was looking for was someone around my frame size that has had success with a specific brand and size do I didn't keep ordering jackets that didn't fit.

Thanks for the info regardding the harley stores. That's great advice. I have one locally I just never went in because I figured the prices would be sky high. I appreciate it and I think I'll stop in in Monday.

Thanks knifemaker.

Jay

Accomplishments;

Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I'm 6' 220, and wear an XXL in pretty much everything. I have never found one jacket that will work in both mildly cold weather and freezing weather, so I have 2. One is a Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 mesh jacket with a zip out liner that works fairly well down to about 50 degreesF. Below that it's not enough. For colder temps I have an old but not very worn CHP leather jacket. I bought it used. It weighs about 50 pounds, but can be used in pretty much any temp you could ride in. I also have a complete snowmobile suit I bought used.

The problem is, all of these things are VERY heavy and very bulky, and there is no room to carry them on the bike. I often start off riding down in the Phoenix valley, with very moderate temperatures, then ride up into the mountains where it gets into the 30s. Since it is impossible to take 2 outfits, I have to wear the heaviest one I'll need, even though it is too much for the first and last parts of the ride.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You did not say what your price range was, or if you prefer leather...

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator jacket, which works well in temps from 50 down to freezing...it's the warmest one I own and I have ALOT of bike jackets.

Bad news is they dont make this model any more. But the good news the "replacement" jacket they carry is basically the same, and does come in larger sizes..(up to 4X) they do have a sizing chart on their page, so you can tell what would work for you. They seem to run a bit small to me, so I'd say go bigger rather than smaller..if you can, as this leaves room for more layers under the jacket when it gets cold:
http://www.fieldsheer.com/site2010/f...tourjacket.htm

Here's where to buy:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ur-Jacket.aspx

The Aquatour has good rating, good armor and is priced well for what you get.

KM

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-25-2011 at 07:11 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

I have a Fieldsheer Aviator jacket, which works well in temps from 50 down to freezing...it's the warmest one I own and I have ALOT of bike jackets.

Bad news is they dont make this model any more. But the good news the "replacement" jacket they carry is basically the same, and does come in larger sizes..(up to 4X) they do have a sizing chart on their page, so you can tell what would work for you. They seem to run a bit small to me, so I'd say go bigger rather than smaller..if you can, as this leaves room for more layers under the jacket when it gets cold:

Here's where to buy:

KM
I like the looks of that Aquatour jacket in that link and it appears they are sized more true to street clothes sizes.that being said be sure to check each brand you look at sizing chart,there is a big difference from brand to brand,measure twice order once.

If price is a concern try leatherup.com,being a big old boy myself I can tell you from experience that you will wear a 5xl in the Exelement brand and your choices will be somewhat limited in the size range you are looking for.They are having a sale right now and I saw a couple of nice Leather Jackets and some of the Textile Jackets as well.Like Jerry I have one of each.But I have gotten really good service and quality products far better than the price range suggests.read the reviews and when n doubt order one size up,here is a link ,see if any thing pushes your buttons.
http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Jackets/11.html

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of overpants from them and have been very pleased with them.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Denny... If you read the original post of this thread you will see the OP had already bought a jacket through leatherup.

I took it to mean he was returning the jacket and was looking for alternatives to shopping there.

You might want to delete your double post BTW...

I don't think there are any good "four season" jackets. The Aquatour will be fine for three, but as a summer jacket you can't beat a full mesh jacket.... So I agree you need at least two jackets.

I used to be a "leather guy" but have converted to the world of textile gear...

Last edited by Knifemaker; 11-25-2011 at 08:46 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Denny... If you read the original post of this thread you will see the OP had already bought a jacket through leatherup.

I took it to mean he was returning the jacket and was looking for alternatives to shopping there.

You might want to delete your double post BTW...

I don't think there are any good "four season" jackets. The Aquatour will be fine for three, but as a summer jacket you can't beat a full mesh jacket.... So I agree you need at least two jackets.

I used to be a "leather guy" but have converted to the world of textile gear...
Thanks for the heads up on the double post ,I don't know how that happened went in to edit and ended up double,

I understand about the original post ,I was pointing out the size differences and thought he would return it and could save some bucks. As for leather vs fabric, I own both and each has it's good and bad points.I like both,for different reasons.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Here's where to buy:

KM
That looks pretty nice... It has some really good reviews attached to it as well. Thanks for the advice.. I don't really have a "price range" but I am always looking for a deal... I am with you on the leather thing.. I used to like it but find myself moving towards the textile/mesh apparel. Much appreciated.

Accomplishments;

Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I like the looks of that Aquatour jacket in that link and it appears they are sized more true to street clothes sizes.that being said be sure to check each brand you look at sizing chart,there is a big difference from brand to brand,measure twice order once.

If price is a concern try leatherup.com,being a big old boy myself I can tell you from experience that you will wear a 5xl in the Exelement brand and your choices will be somewhat limited in the size range you are looking for.They are having a sale right now and I saw a couple of nice Leather Jackets and some of the Textile Jackets as well.Like Jerry I have one of each.But I have gotten really good service and quality products far better than the price range suggests.read the reviews and when n doubt order one size up,here is a link ,see if any thing pushes your buttons.
http://www.leatherup.com/l/Motorcycle-Jackets/11.html

I have bought 2 jackets and a pair of overpants from them and have been very pleased with them.
Denny6006-

I have gotten a few things on Leatherup.com as well already. Its definitely a great site with some great deals. When I bought my Jacket from them it was a 4X Xelement and it didn't even come close. I am a big guy but I'm not that damn big.. So I was hesitant on even trying a 5x or 6x... I guess thats why I posted her so some guys my size could direct me to what has worked for them.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in. Much appreciated!

Jay

Accomplishments;

Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted