Got rear ended last night. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Got rear ended last night.

So after a glorious 45 minute ride in the pouring rain so thick that I thought I was swimming at times... (sometimes I wonder why I commute year round on the Vulcan ). I get to a stop light and am completely stopped. It is a slight down hill slope, just enough that I hold the front brake while waiting for the light to change.

Some idiot slams into me. He says his foot just slipped off the brake and he "bumped" me. BS. I saw him coming at the last second and he was moving too fast for me to take off. He shoved me a good 8-10 feet into the intersection. Somehow I held onto the bars even though I think the back of my helmet hit the sissy bar.(Maybe there is some advantage to being shaped like a gorrilla lol) Bike started to fall over and I caught it so I never went down.

Today my lower back and neck are sore as hell but thats it so I know what I am thankful for today.

His bumper went under my rear fender folding the license plate into the tire. I could not see any other damage and rather than call a truck I (Feeling fine at this point) went ahead and rode the bike home the 4 miles to home. (After having the police respond and getting his information and a "Log" report)

Never going over 25 MPH because I can feel a weird "Wobble". When I got home and took my helmet off I can hear a new "Clanking" like the chain needs adjustment.

I am going to make his insurance pay to have it checked out at a shop but is their any chance that he screwed up the shaft drive or engine by hitting the rear wheel directly? Oh and he hit hard enough that my rear tail light, brake light and license plate light are no longer working.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and thanks for any ideas you guys may have.

1996 VN750 all stock.

Last edited by dot4x4; 11-24-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Oh man, glad to hear you werent seriously injured, sounds like it could have be worse. That soreness usually follows 24 hrs after something like that happens. I sure others will chime in on the sounds your bike is now making, i would only be guessing. Glad your ok dude !

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

HOLY KAW! man, I am so glad you are (for the most part) ok! that could've been WAY worse! as for your back and neck...beer and a hot tub work great! lol
good luck to ya.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Glad it is not any worse than it is. Make the idiot pay, but most of all be thankful for not having sustained any serious injury. Sometimes there's internal damage that only a thorough check-up will reveal. I'm talking about you, not the bike. So remember to go have yourself checked out by a competent physician.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yea the wreck definately could have been alot worse. I finally was able to get ahold of the guys insurance company and because of the Holidays they say that I will not be able to talk with an adjuster to find out where they can take the bike or get me a rental car (The bike is my only transportation, the Wife and kids get the Kia Soul), until close of business on TUESDAY . Gee thanks guys, I was only supposed to work on Fri, Sat and was scheduled for Mon, Tue, Wed overtime...

Sorry if I sound "whiny" its just irritating. Plus my back is tightening up more and every once in a while I am getting spasms.

Any one have any ideas on if this wreck might have screwed up the engine any? Oh and a big Happy Thanksgiving to all of you guys. I know I don't post too much but I do "lurk" all the time.

1996 VN750 all stock.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
glad to hear your ok but the soreness, I would get myself checked out at his expense and would probably bill him for some pain meds to enjoy on those days off. LOL its possible your swingarm could have been bent with the wobble or it could be a broken belt on the tire, either way I would let the air out of the tire before the adjuster looked at it or pictures are sent and score a new one for it. might sound like your cheating an insurance company but tires on a bike are not something to say "it looks ok on". good luck!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thought I would add a link to a thread with a pic of my bike. Still is the cleanest bike I have ever owned.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18089

1996 VN750 all stock.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wib714 View Post
glad to hear your ok but the soreness, I would get myself checked out at his expense and would probably bill him for some pain meds to enjoy on those days off. LOL its possible your swingarm could have been bent with the wobble or it could be a broken belt on the tire, either way I would let the air out of the tire before the adjuster looked at it or pictures are sent and score a new one for it. might sound like your cheating an insurance company but tires on a bike are not something to say "it looks ok on". good luck!
X2 this is good advise. /
I wouldn't have thought of the tire, but it's true. If something happens to the tire later due to stress on it from this incident, it will be your dime and neck on the line. Get them to replace it along with any other damage.

You may want to get checked out at the emergency room. They have standard protocol for accidents and will make sure your injuries are noted properly.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

First things first. Get a lawyer. Right now. Today. If you were hit from behind while stopped, it was 100% his fault. His insurance company WILL try to rip you off, That is their job. After getting the lawyer, get to the hospital and get thoroughly checked out, including a full MRI scan. Back and neck injuries are common from this type of accident, and may not show up for some time. Just because you don't "feel" too bad right now means nothing. Let the doctors decide how badly you are injured.

If you were hit hard enough to be knocked 8-10 feet, your bike is almost certainly totaled. An impact to the rear wheel will ripple through the whole bike, each part will push into the part ahead of it, so the frame is most likely bent, and the bike is no longer any good for anything but a few parts. But. You should get enough from his insurance company to pay for all your medical bills, including getting checked out in the first place, get a rental car, and buy a brand new bike, or a used Vulcan, if that is what you want, and have some $$$ left over. That is the insurance company's responsibility, but they won't do it without a lawyer pushing them. Since the lawyer will collect about 1/3 of the settlement, he has every reason to go for as much as possible, which benefits you as well.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement