Need Input - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Need Input

Hey guys, so I've been working on the bike, and it's mostly good news. I have the front brake working again. The rear brake is still problematic, but I do not know whether it is the pedal or not. I can't tell whether it is actually bent or not. Finally, I found what's ailing the rear fender: the bolts securing the saddlebag supports to the fender are gone. Those are relatively minor issues. This is what's bugging me.

When I replaced the broken ignition switch with the new "used" one, the engine would have a lot of trouble starting then simply die off. I was afraid there was additional internal damage. Reading some of the threads here, I decided to rule out electrical issue. Thus I connected the switch from the broken key-lock mechanism and simply connected it using a flat head screw-driver to turn it. The engine roared and stayed on => I went ahead a swapped the working switch onto the working key-lock mechanism. So that's great news.

Here comes the bad. When I went to remove the broken ignition switch, I found that a small part of the support it is screwed into had broken off as well. I have three options:

1. Replace the whole handle bar support. (I would like to avoid this if I can.)

2. Glue the small broken piece back on there. Put the ignition key back into its original location. (This would remove any chance of locking the neck, but it'd be a great temporary if not long term fix.)

3. Relocate the ignition as I know some on here have done. To those who have relocated their ignition, how do you lock the bike?

I appreciate any input regarding these three options. And if you think there's any additional option, please let me know. In addition to the problem enumerated above, I would need to realign the handlebars, and the VN will be back to her old self.

Thanks for all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Old Fart

Garage
#3. relocate the lock.

The fork lock is useless anyway, and whose going to steal the bike to begin with.

You could try some JB Weld to repair the mount... Would help if we knew exactly what broke off..( photo would help )

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i relocated my switch.. i lock my bike with a locking mechanism similar to a bicycle lock that goes through the wheel and frame

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm trying to post a pic. But the website attachment system is giving me trouble
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Pic

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	4192  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Nothing a different browser wouldn't fix. You can see the broken thread in the upper portion of the image.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

SlimVulanRider, could you provide more information as to how you went about relocating your switch? What should I look out for? It seems you put your in the air intake. Does this lower the surface area for the air intake?
Any suggestion is highly appreciated.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archange View Post
Nothing a different browser wouldn't fix. You can see the broken thread in the upper portion of the image.
Yeah that's a FUBAR alright. I could see me drilling another hole and fabbing a strap or something... It's just a switch really... But ...

You're better off relocating. If you open the airbox you'll see there's a bit if room.

You can put it anywhere that's handy. Seen one mounted to the handlebar...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good. Thank you KM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement