Just got back from my first ride on my 750... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
VN750 General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Just got back from my first ride on my 750...

Well, it was actually my first real motorcycle ride ever. It was (please excuse my french here) farking awesome.

My riding experience in the past was limited to small cc mopeds around the city streets of London. Now that I am back in my native California those aren't exactly the way to go...

As I am sure most of the regulars saw, I recently just got my 750. It didn't start too well, but the previous owner let me in on the fact that he never changed the spark-plugs that required the thin-wall deep socket. Well, installed new NGK Iridiums all round today and it was like a new bike.

I had been holding off as I wanted to go through the MSF course, but I could not contain myself, so I decided to take her out. I grounded myself and told myself I am going to take every precaution necessary, wear all my gear, and avoid anything but side-streets.

A few failed take-offs in first later, and I was off! Doing good... managing first gear, clutch - using both breaks but primarily rear during low-speed. Then I got to an up-hill stop - this was the first frustration I had - about 3 failed starts later I was getting the hang of it.

I was now ready to *gasp* up-shift. This was actually easier than I had imagined really. I avoided downshifting at first but I'm getting used to the speed of the bike vs gear etc - but I was starting to do that a bit towards the end.

By the end of my hour or so session I can now start out in first without issue, even up hill. I am practicing emergency stopping and all the basics.

I am sure I am just a here, but I don't care! I'm enjoying myself more than I have in a long time. The 750 seems to have more than enough power, but it is not overwhelming for me either. It's a great starter bike for big guys that looks like it will carry me for seasons to come.

I am sure as long as I keep it safe, and take it easy, this will by a hobby of mine forever. I wouldn't have been cruising down the road without the help of the forum here, so I extend my thanks for the amazing resource here.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

Last edited by thtanner; 11-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Drive less, ride more...

Just because your first few rides may go without incident, don't talk yourself out of taking the intro MSF class.

Be sure you take this class (and pass it) before you spend any time in real traffic.

Trust us on this one--you'll be glad you did.......!!!

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Just because your first few rides may go without incident, don't talk yourself out of taking the intro MSF class.

Be sure you take this class (and pass it) before you spend any time in real traffic.

Trust us on this one--you'll be glad you did.......!!!
You are absolutely correct. I have reserved my spot and will be doing that next weekend. Here in California the successful completion of MSF gets you your full motorcycle license as well- so that is a bonus.

Safety first - as a married man my wife would kill me if I got hurt!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Hey man good for you! Glad to hear of the fun you're having. Some of the best memories I have are of my 1st "real" ride on my beat up Honda 350 twin which to me, at 13 was a huge beast. Best of luck with the test and with your bike. Ride on!

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 PM

I know all to well how you feel.. I only have a couple months worth of experience under my belt. It IS "farking" awesome... I wont lie its been like an addiction... I've been riding every single change I have gotten...

These guys on here have been great in helping me fix everything I want to fix to get my bike up to tip top... Or as close as I can.

Really glad your having fun and be safe. Get the Clymer manual you wont regret it... Also these guys have a link to a downloadable service manual if you dont have it already.. Let me know and Ill grab the url for you if you need it.

Get some gear to keep you warm and safe... One thing I have learned is it gets chilly FAST.. A warm set of gloves and jacket do wonders..

Be Safe.

Jay

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. I have only been riding 3+ years and still feel the way you do - always up for a new ride. I put over 25K miles on mine so far. Hate having to drive the cage.

I still had to take the written test after the MSF course. Didn't have to do the riding test at the DMV. I hear it sucks without a small cycle.

There is a VRA (vulcan riders association)chapter down here in SD if you are interested. Only been around about a year with 11 members currently. Meeting held 1x a month and several activities/rides each month. Toys for tots ride on 12/19. Escondido/Temecula ride 12/10 to help collect toys.

Let me know if you are interested or checkout our yahoo group webpage or meetup.com.

Ride safe----

Dave M
2000 VN750
San Diego, CA

Member San Diego VRA chapter 1-24

R&R and horns Relocated
AGM Battery
Kawi Tall sissybar
16" Zbar ape hangers
MCCT
Kevlar clutch plates
Replaced radiator
Homemade floorboards
Kury LED battery meter
NCS Shield EX
Shaved, rejetted
SS braided lines - removed fork junction
LED Fog Lights
Tribal graphics on front fender
Cobra pipes
Tour Master Saddlebags
Kury ISO grips
Kury highway pegs
Kury oval billet mirrors
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Congrats on your Vulcan. I just bought the same year bike this spring. At 43 years young and starting what I think is a mid life crisis this is my first bike ever. Other than riding four wheelers or mountain bikes never had a motorcycle. I did the Motorcycle Safety Class this spring while I was doing some work on the bike before even getting it on the road. That first ride on it after rebuilding the forks was absolutely awesome. Since getting it on the road the end of May I have racked up almost 5000km. Even had it out today even though it is starting to get pretty cool here. Going to suck parking it next weekend for the winter when I plan to strip it down and give it a good going over, touvhing up paint and so on.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Virgins.... Gotta love them.

So cool to have someone remind me what it was like to go on that first ride.....(for me back in 1971)

Take it slow kids, savor every second, but never let your guard down.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Bat
Bat

Charming! Delighted to have you aboard, love to hear about your further adventures, and by all means, keep the rubber side down. Glad to hear you believe in protective gear and MSF...those things will keep you rolling for many joyful years!
Bat
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

But Knifemaker what's a fair time for curfew these days I'm out of touch, lol. Bikes in by midnight guys. Ha ha, jk, and I know what you mean about dreading driving the cage. Even after years there's still just something special about being on two wheels. Even if it's old bike, it ever gets to be old hat.
;-)

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement